No announcement yet.

Jersey Joe Walcott

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jersey Joe Walcott

Can someone here tell me which fights of his I should watch?

Also do people here agree with this breakdown of his style?:

From another forum
    What makes Walcott so great?

His Footwork: ability to slide in and out of range in some of the unpredictably slickest motions ever produced in a boxing ring. Ability to use body misdirections like no other fighter before or since him. Ability to use uncanny switching angles with his feet to lure opponents into huge counter traps.

His sharp fast powerful jab: which he can throw in triple combinations to the head AND body mixing it up. Not many fighters in history could do this.

His ability to use fantastic head movement to make opponents miss jabs by inches leaving them in perfect target range for Walcott's counters. Joe Louis a big man at 6'2 213lb with an ATG left jab, walcott made him miss the whole fight with swift head movement making louis miss by only inches.

His amazing ability to counterpunch and lay traps- No one could trap like Walcott. He perfectly designed and executed one of the greatest traps of all time, as he watched Ezzard Charles(a top 5 p4p fighter of all time) walk right into a one punch knockout counterpunch trap...The way Jersey Joe walked down charles was like a old man calmly taking a stroll in the park knowing everything was going to work out fine...and it did! He didn't just lay it on a gooftrooper, he laid it on Ezzard Charles of all people!!! Other hall of famers, Jimmy Bivins, Joe Louis, Harold Johnson, Joey Maxim all walked into big right hand and left hook counter traps and found themselves on their asses.

Any and all of his fights, he was a boxing marvel and always put on a show, he did everything in the book and outside of it which I've not seen from many since him. I'd say that breakdown was accurate.

I was just looking at a training video of him about an hour ago check it out

1:25 onwards.

(Haven't seen many videos of JJW training, thought I'd show)

Comment

Not the Marciano rematch!!!! His last and worst fight!!!

For some vintage Walcott action check out the following:

Louis 1 (fifteen round decision loss)
      Louis 2 (Eleventh round KO loss)
      Charles 3 (Seventh round KO win)
      Charles 4 (Fifteen round decision win)
      Marciano 1 (Thirteenth round KO)

Ironically he lost in some of his finest performances, dont let that deter you.....this guy was art!

Comment

I agree with the above posts. There isn't a lot of footage of him so you might as well watch all of them.

Walcott's fights against

Louis I & II
        Marciano I & II
        Charles I, II, III & IV
        Layne
        Hein Ten Hoff

are out there.

Out of those, the Louis, Charles, Hoff and Marciano fights are his best performances. He didn't show up in his best form against Layne, claiming an injured hand and put up a non-effort against Marciano the second time.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
          I agree with the above posts. There isn't a lot of footage of him so you might as well watch all of them.

Walcott's fights against

Louis I & II
          Marciano I & II
          Charles I, II, III & IV
          Layne
          Hein Ten Hoff

are out there.

Out of those, the Louis, Charles, Hoff and Marciano fights are his best performances. He didn't show up in his best form against Layne, claiming an injured hand and put up a non-effort against Marciano the second time.
          All are a chance Walcott apply his trade. The Marciano fights are towards the end but I enjoy watching the two with Louis and Charles III.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, Ill check out all of the fights which you guys have listed. Also can anyone here tell me any fighters who you would class as having a skill set similar to Walcott?

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
              Any and all of his fights, he was a boxing marvel and always put on a show, he did everything in the book and outside of it which I've not seen from many since him. I'd say that breakdown was accurate.

I cant watch youtube vids at work, but I will check it out later
              Thanks

Comment

As for skillsets, Walcott did seem to have a style of his own......his own tricks too. Nobody moved quite like him.

As heavyweights go, the closest in terms of style are Ali and Holmes.......but its still chalk and cheese, its just because these two danced and jabbed and had alot of old veteran moves too. Walcott arguably hit harder than both with either hand.

The Toney that beat Holyfield could also be cited as a similar bag of tricks, but without the fast bouncing footwork.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post

he seems to be pretty big muscular wise. Not many fighters like that them days, well ones ive seen before.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    As for skillsets, Walcott did seem to have a style of his own......his own tricks too. Nobody moved quite like him.

As heavyweights go, the closest in terms of style are Ali and Holmes.......but its still chalk and cheese, its just because these two danced and jabbed and had alot of old veteran moves too. Walcott arguably hit harder than both with either hand.

The Toney that beat Holyfield could also be cited as a similar bag of tricks, but without the fast bouncing footwork.
                    Thats a really great example, thanks for this

Comment

Working...
                    X