Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HW Trivia: Forget rematches how about three-peats?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Wills-Langford for the colored heavyweight championship.
    Yea! -- I wasn't including the Colored HW Title, but if you do then Harry Wills holds the record, fighting Sam Langford four consecutive fights.
    Last edited by Dempsey-Louis; 09-11-2018, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      Speaking of Charles, isn't he considered the best light heavyweight of all time, but was denied a shot at the title at that weight class? Was it because the champ there at the time knew he would lose to Charles or because of Charles being black?
      I would like to think that post-Louis the black issue had been put to bed and that they ducked Charles because he was just too damn good at LHW.

It is funny but he did stop the former lineal LHW champion Gus Lesnevich in 8 rounds (1949) but by then Lesnevich had lost the title to Freddie Mills.

So it is hard to read Gus Lesnevich he was willing to tangle with Charles when Charles was the recognized (NBA) HW champ but never saw fit to give him a shot at the LHW title. Go figure!

I often think post-Louis, Black fighters were still denied title shots not because of the color of their skin, but because they often didn't bring enough money (fans in the seats) to the table. Which of course takes us back to the color of their skin. Holman Williams being a great example.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
        I would like to think that post-Louis the black issue had been put to bed and that they ducked Charles because he was just too damn good at LHW.

It is funny but he did stop the former lineal LHW champion Gus Lesnevich in 8 rounds (1949) but by then Lesnevich had lost the title to Freddie Mills.

So it is hard to read Gus Lesnevich he was willing to tangle with Charles when Charles was the recognized (NBA) HW champ but never saw fit to give him a shot at the LHW title. Go figure!

I often think post-Louis, Black fighters were still denied title shots not because of the color of their skin, but because they often didn't bring enough money (fans in the seats) to the table. Which of course takes us back to the color of their skin. Holman Williams being a great example.
        So Charles is the best light heavyweight of all time?

Comment

So Charles is the best light heavyweight of all time?
          No I never make absolute statments like that (expect maybe about Dempsey LOL) but he certainly was one of the better ones, and ATG! You don't agree?

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
            No I never make absolute statments like that (expect maybe about Dempsey LOL) but he certainly was one of the better ones, and ATG! You don't agree?
            I didn't know. Now I do. I usually see Charles named as the best or Michael Spinks, sometimes Archie Moore.

So yes, I agree.

And that's a good point. Like Obi-Wan says in Star Wars Episode 3 "Only a Sith deals in absolutes".
            Last edited by Anthony342; 09-12-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I didn't know. Now I do. I usually see Charles names as the best or Michael Spinks, sometimes Archie Moore.

So yes, I agree.

And that's a good point. Like Obi-Wan says in Star Wars Episode 3 "Only a Sith deals in absolutes".
              Cant forget Tunney!

Comment

Fantasy 8 Man LHW Tournament

Seeds:

(1) Tunney
                (8) Rosenbloom

(5) Conn
                (4) Spinks

(3) Moore
                (6) Levinsky

(7) Foster
                (2) Charles

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  Cant forget Tunney!
                  No, we certainly cannot. And I have certainly haven't forgotten about you and I'm glad you haven't forgotten about us. Where have you been? Ah sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread anymore, so let others answer the trivia question posed here, because I love learning about the history of this great sport.

Comment

No, we certainly cannot. And I have certainly haven't forgotten about you and I'm glad you haven't forgotten about us. Where have you been? Ah sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread anymore, so let others answer the trivia question posed here, because I love learning about the history of this great sport.
                    ill pm you Anthony.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                      ill pm you Anthony.
                      I sent Billeau the address to my favorite massage parlor, which explains him being away for a bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X