No announcement yet.

Could Conn beat Johnson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Conn beat Johnson?

Given his first fight against Joe Louis, do you think Billy Conn has a chance to beat Jack Johnson and how do you think it would play out?

No chance. Johnson too strong and used to fighting guys of conn's size. Conn a great great fighter but i cant see him beating jj

Comment

I definitely can't envision Conn beating a prime Johnson. I don't think he'd have a problem with Conn's movement at all. Johnsons footwork and speed was top notch himself and his ability to stalk, clinch and rough a smaller fighter like Conn in the clinches would be overwhelming IMO.

Comment

Johnny might find a way. He liked to fight midgets.

Comment

Conn was a very tough fighter to beat. Great skills, tough, I give him a good chance against Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            Johnny might find a way. He liked to fight midgets.
            He fought in an era where smaller, great fighters often fluctuated between higher and smaller weight divisions (and fought effectively in those divisions as well). He himself often weighed closer to light heavyweight than heavy, in a lot of fights.

Comment

I believe 1940s fighters were a light year ahead style wise then fighters from the 1910s -- I suspect Conn would be a mass of confusion to Johson and would take an easy UD over 12 rounds -- though I also believe as good as Johnson was it is likely that after only a few rematches Johnson would gain the education needed to figure Conn out and would then dominate him -- but first time out Conn would bedazzle any fighter from that era, even the great ones.

Comment

Jack Johnson had a different style from Joe Louis. His footwork wasn't as deliberate or plodding.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
                  I believe 1940s fighters were a light year ahead style wise then fighters from the 1910s -- I suspect Conn would be a mass of confusion to Johson and would take an easy UD over 12 rounds -- though I also believe as good as Johnson was it is likely that after only a few rematches Johnson would gain the education needed to figure Conn out and would then dominate him -- but first time out Conn would bedazzle any fighter from that era, even the great ones.
                  Sounds like in the bolded line, you're ultimately saying, that the best version of Johnson beats Conn (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, its obvious that any boxer or athlete that goes into another era weather forward or back, would be in a "mass of confusion". I'm sure fighters todays would be thrown off badly by tactics and situations from back then, that would effect their game.

What if a boxer today was pushed into a time machine and went back to the early 1900's, and found out that he had to fight up to 20 or more rounds, fought on the inside almost the entire fight without being separated, defend his title multiple times a month, his opponent didn't have to go back to a neutral corner after scoring a knockdown, purses look like chump change compared to what he's making now, not have access to the best workout equipment, nutrition etc??

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
                    I like this post. Makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X