No announcement yet.

Joe Louis: A Retrospective

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Louis: A Retrospective

Has anyone not heard of the great Joe Louis? For years he loomed over boxing, and more, he trancended boxing and became a unifying symbol for Americans black and white. A title reign of twelve years, twenty-five title defenses: Records unlikely to be broken. He was called the "perfect fighting machine". His punches were straight and deadly accurate. His punching power was frightening. He was the first true intimidator and he did it all with a blank look on his face. Nobody was a better finisher: When his opponent was hurt the fight was as good as over. Nothing ever fazed him in the ring and he was the all-time king of rematches.

More than any other fighter I've known of, Louis exuded class out of every pore. He put himself in permanent debt to the IRS: By donating purses to the Navy relief fund. His grave is appropriately in Arlington National Cemetary. Enshrined for what he truly was: An American Hero.

Poet
    Lots, he's one of the greats.
    86.96%
    Somewhat, I know he gets compared to a lot of Heavyweights.
    10.87%
    A little, I know he was a boxer.
    0.00%
    Who's Joe Louis?
    2.17%

Truly an all time great. Could have been a champion in any era, was way ahead of his time. A remarkable fighter and a remarkable man. He was everything a champion should be in and out of the ring

Comment

One of the great stories in Boxing history. Rightfully deserves to be called the greatest heavyweight by many, one hell of a fighting specimen, some of the greatest accomplishments ever, he is even up there pound for pound with the greats. That should say enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaman View Post
        One of the great stories in Boxing history. Rightfully deserves to be called the greatest heavyweight by many, one hell of a fighting specimen, some of the greatest accomplishments ever, he is even up there pound for pound with the greats. That should say enough.
        Yaman, as you might have guessed from my avatar Joe Louis is my all-time favorite fighter. It may sound corny in this day and age but I regard him as my hero. A great fighter, an even greater man.

Poet

Comment

^and you denied being a Joe Louis nut hugger whilst flaming me for liking Tyson, no offense, but your one hell of a hypocrite.

everyone has there own heroes.

peace

Comment

Who hasn't heard of the great Joe Louis? The master and the greatest heavy along with Ali in my book.

Comment

An all time great, in my top 5 heavyweights. The only boxer in history to defend the title 25 times (heavyweight), the record is still unsurpassed as of today.

here's a great tribute/highlight of joe

Last edited by Underboss; 10-11-2007, 12:56 AM.

Comment

He's the most compact punching fighter Ive ever seen. He didnt have to wind up or get maximum leverage to knock you out.

Comment

^ what he said.

tyson louis ali = 3 best heavyweights of all times

Comment

Louis had it all. In the ring and out, he was everything you could ask of an athlete. People accused him later of being too soft spoken, too comfortable with whites, but in reality he was just as important if not more important than the outspoken Ali for the civil rights movement.

Without Louis, there is no Muhammad. Ali never woiuld have enjoyed the support that he did if Joe didn't pave the way for him. It took a guy like Joe Louis to break through in the name of reason and tolerance.

Comment

Working...
                    X