Where to start as a Young Fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start as a Young Fighter?

Hey all,

I've been looking into getting into boxing - I've worked on a heavy bag but I'd like to go against other people as well. I like to think that I have quite some experience without the gloves on, but I decided I wanted to take it professionally.

I'm 14 and roughly about 111LB - and 5'7.

I live in Utah and was thinking about checking out a couple places here including a boxing gym which is founded off of Gene Fullmer's family.

Any tips or videos I should check out before getting into the sport?

Originally posted by Manoodle View Post
    Hey all,

I've been looking into getting into boxing - I've worked on a heavy bag but I'd like to go against other people as well. I like to think that I have quite some experience without the gloves on, but I decided I wanted to take it professionally.

I'm 14 and roughly about 111LB - and 5'7.

I live in Utah and was thinking about checking out a couple places here including a boxing gym which is founded off of Gene Fullmer's family.

Any tips or videos I should check out before getting into the sport?
    At 5 foot 7 and 114 you need to watch videos on in and out using foot work for boxing . Watch videos on how to control your opponent from the outside. Learn how to tie up your shorter fighter when he gets in the inside. Watch videos on how to deliver upper cuts , jab right hand , right hand , left hook , right upper cut, left hook, watch videos on parring punches basically catching them then countering. To bad I live in California or I’d teach you some

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
      At 5 foot 7 and 114 you need to watch videos on in and out using foot work for boxing . Watch videos on how to control your opponent from the outside. Learn how to tie up your shorter fighter when he gets in the inside. Watch videos on how to deliver upper cuts , jab right hand , right hand , left hook , right upper cut, left hook, watch videos on parring punches basically catching them then countering. To bad I live in California or I’d teach you some
      ^^^^ some solid advice here.

Comment

Alright, I'll watch everything I can - Thanks.

Comment

Find a gym that is active in amateur boxing, has boxers that compete locally and state wide to start with.
          When you get to the point where you know enough to compete on that level with success then you can venture on from that.

You need a TRAINER not video's anyone not telling you other wise has never walked in a gym let alone fought!

This is a social forum with fans who don't have actual experience.
          There are three or four members here who actually have boxing experiences and I'm one of those people.

At 14 your still able to compete at the J.O. (junior olympic) level.

No mma gyms or exercise boxing classes, find a REAL boxing gym!
          It would help to get yourself into good shape by running to increase your stamina and plenty of exercises using your own weight. (pull ups, sit ups, inclines declines etc........

Good luck hopefully you haven't developed to many bad habits on the bag without experienced eyes on you.

Ray

Comment

Louie's Gym, which is on California St and 900W is good. There is another off of State and Union I think it is that is a real boxing gym.

Comment

Alright, I'll check it out this weekend - also thanks for the advice on the getting ready part.

Comment

Watch out for "cardio kickboxing" gyms. There are like 10 of those gyms for every authentic boxing gym.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  Find a gym that is active in amateur boxing, has boxers that compete locally and state wide to start with.
                  When you get to the point where you know enough to compete on that level with success then you can venture on from that

You need a TRAINER not video's anyone not telling you other wise has never walked in a gym let alone fought!

This is a social forum with fans who don't have actual experience.
                  There are three or four members here who actually have boxing experiences and I'm one of those people.

At 14 your still able to compete at the J.O. (junior olympic) level.

No mma gyms or exercise boxing classes, find a REAL boxing gym!
                  It would help to get yourself into good shape by running to increase your stamina and plenty of exercises using your own weight. (pull ups, sit ups, inclines declines etc........

Good luck hopefully you haven't developed to many bad habits on the bag without experienced eyes on you.

Ray
                  If you are referring to me I had 90 Amatuer fights and trained kids for 5 years . You watch videos when you don’t have a coach many fighters watch videos Mike Tyson watched videos of fighters when you do this you study the fighters . If your smart enough you pick up on things from watching videos. From watching videos I can fight many styles . I can even fight like you once I see how you fight

Comment

Nope wasn't referring to you, 90 bouts and five years of training?
                    Why such a short amount of time?
                    Where did you box out of and where did you train kids at?
                    When your a young beginner it's best NOT to watch video's because you don't KNOW what your watching!

Tyson was trained by Cus, Teddy then Kevin, the library was offered him by Jimmy Jacobs. I worked with Tyson in the National J.O. program and handled him the Regional and National finals!

You sound very talented!

Ray

Comment

Working...
                    X