No announcement yet.

So UK doesnt get Showtime fights anymore

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
    They'd consult him as to whether he felt it was good for the channel obviously..and he himself has said if he feels any bout ..international or otherwise strengthens sky's viewership then he's happy to it's a good idea for them to bid for it.

Completly incorrect about consulting Hearn. They wouldn’t and shouldn’t because of clear bias. It would be no different to giving one of the wilder fanboys on here an option to give their opinion on if showtime should pay to show one of uk matchroom cards - most would say no.

Sky sports have more than enough experts to know what they are doing at get on with it to make their own choices about what is best for their own customers.

I would imagine since the DAZN ceo said Hearn was “instrumental” in ensuring the world boxing series2 landed on DAZN he is far more influential there, particularly as he has an invested interest in the overall channel doing well!

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
      ah...good explanation
      Also to add, it's 4 or 5 am if a show is in the USA. Sometimes that's just too late to do consistently

Comment

Originally posted by Kezzer View Post
        Completly incorrect about consulting Hearn. They wouldn’t and shouldn’t because of clear bias. It would be no different to giving one of the wilder fanboys on here an option to give their opinion on if showtime should pay to show one of uk matchroom cards - most would say no.

Sky sports have more than enough experts to know what they are doing at get on with it to make their own choices about what is best for their own customers.

I would imagine since the DAZN ceo said Hearn was “instrumental” in ensuring the world boxing series2 landed on DAZN he is far more influential there, particularly as he has an invested interest in the overall channel doing well!
        Sky absolutely consulted Hearn or at least made him aware of their intent to bid for the original Fury / Wlad fight and they had to because fury was UK based. He stated that he said they absolutely should go for it and that he's more than happy for them to show any non matchroom events internationally or not aslong as it's for the good of the channel and if it features a UK based fighter that he gets a split and / or card share.

Notice I stated he isn't a consultant for them and that he has no say in it if they didn't ask his opinion on bidding for an international fight??

But absolutely be clear..they'd at least ask Hearn if either fighter Involved in a prospective fight is or can be linked with a matchroom fighter to drum up viewer figures in the future.

It isn't clear bias when they're consulting someone who holds they're exclusive UK rights..is one of the most powerful promoters globally and therefore makes up 90% of their boxing content. Hearn isn't going to ever turn around to sky and say they shouldn't bid for an international fight when he knows it's good for the channel as a whole and he could put a UK card on before they switch to a US telecast.

I'd love to know of an international card that wasn't a Mayweather fight that Sky have picked up where either fighter isn't at the time or as a result of the fight can't be linked to a Hearn fighter.

Comment

What do you want from Showtime anyway?
          Most of their fighters are inactive.

Comment

Sky and BT will buy rights to ANY fight involving future opponents for their fighters..... BT/Boxnation get GGG, Sky get Wilder's fights etc

I don't see that changing just because of some Dazn deal.

Comment

I'd be furious. Showtime is putting out the best cards IMO

Comment

That's not how it works... Showtime fights In the UK are purely up to whether Sky want to purchase the UK rights or not.

Hearn has absolutely no say whatsoever if Sky want to bid for an American fight and he has admitted as much in his interview regarding the while K2/ Hennessy split fiasco with IFL TV.

The only reason a showtime fight.. be it Garcia or anyone else aren't shown in the UK is because Sky don't think the outlay for the rights is equal to the viewership numbers.

Remember.. only very very small numbers in the UK who watch boxing on Sky are going to be aware of Garcia or his fights.. much less one that really bears very little relevance in the grand scheme of boxing sphere.
                Not completely accurate. I remember for Ward-Kovalev 1 and 2, Sky didn't pay for the UK TV rights. Matchroom paid for the rights on behalf of Sky. It was like two best friends (Matchroom and Sky) and Matchroom was treating Sky to a freebie. So i doubt Hearn's opinion is not taken into consideration for a foreign fight on Sky

Comment

They'd consult him as to whether he felt it was good for the channel obviously..and he himself has said if he feels any bout ..international or otherwise strengthens sky's viewership then he's happy to it's a good idea for them to bid for it.

But the facts are.. if Sky want to bid for an International fight then Hearn can't TELL them not to and them actually not be allowed to bid.

Why do you think so little US fights end up on sky? Because they don't generate the view figures from the UK to justify buying the rights.

I'm sure Sky have enough access to data to see what their view rates would be without consulting Hearn every single time they want access to an international fight. Barney Francis is a big boy ...
                  Barney Francis only gets involved for PPV Fights on Sky Box Office as there are profits and Sky's % from a fight which need to be resolved. Adam Smith and Ed Robinson are in charge of Sky's Boxing Department who will make the decision for fights on Normal Sky Sports.

However for fights like Mayweather-Mcgregor or Joshua fights which involve sky taking a cut from the PPV Revenue, that's when the big boys get involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Manlikefemi View Post
                    Not completely accurate. I remember for Ward-Kovalev 1 and 2, Sky didn't pay for the UK TV rights. Matchroom paid for the rights on behalf of Sky. It was like two best friends (Matchroom and Sky) and Matchroom was treating Sky to a freebie. So i doubt Hearn's opinion is not taken into consideration for a foreign fight on Sky
                    Not sure about 1 ..pretty sure Sky did buy that themselves and it followed the groves v gutknecht card they had on..2's broadcast rights cant have been expensive given the failure of #1

What I'm trying to say is Hearn is absolutely consulted on international fights but can't tell sky not to show them or specifically not to bid for them if they want to.

Comment

Not sure about 1 ..pretty sure Sky did buy that themselves and it followed the groves v gutknecht card they had on..2's broadcast rights cant have been expensive given the failure of #1

What I'm trying to say is Hearn is absolutely consulted on international fights but can't tell sky not to show them or specifically not to bid for them if they want to.
                      I vividly remember Eddie Hearn on a IFL Video saying he negotiated with Kathy Duva for the UK TV Rights. Sky didn't. Matchroom paid for the rights for it to be on Sky, it's like you treating your girlfriend to a meal.

On your second point, yes that is true. Hearn has input but ultimately Sky make the final decision.

Comment

Working...
                      X