No announcement yet.

is Marciano`s 49-0 record FLAWED!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
    The only questionable thing about the record is that he had his first professional fight under another name while still competing in the amateurs. After winning his debut, he went back in the amateurs to compete in a Golden Gloves tournament, losing to Coley Wallace.

He also won close, controversial decisions over Roland LaStarza in the first fight and Tiger Ted Lowry in the first fight.

I'm not aware of Marciano fighting his own brother to pad up his record though. I've heard it but never seen any proof.
    cheers i appreciate your imput.

Comment

Originally posted by £Hank$Moody€ View Post
      Gotcha, thanks.

I'm still a little unclear as to why we should care about whatever cans he was fighting early in his career. Seems like another lame attempt to discredit a great fighter.
      This is not "another lame attempt to discredit a great fighter" as you put it... it is bonafide boxing topic that i started to see what the imput to it is of which i am appreciative....
      Calibaloc Calibaloc likes this.

Comment

I read one time that he was mobb affiliated and that alot of his wins were fabricated or rigged but don't quote me on this.But with a little research you'll find news papers talking bout how they thought he lost against a guy name Lowry or something look it up!!

Comment

Holmes is on record for appologizing to Marciano's family for the 'jockstrap' comment, but i believe it was more aimed at his own bitterness for failing to equal Marciano's record..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
            Holmes is on record for appologizing to Marciano's family for the 'jockstrap' comment, but i believe it was more aimed at his own bitterness for failing to equal Marciano's record..
            i must disagree - Holmes definately insinuated that Rockys record was `padded`and refered to these fights with his brother.. The press & the commision jumped on Holmes who then made an official opology by saying, "Maybe i gotta Big mouth".... Lets not forget that Marciano himself used the name `Rocky Mac`in his early pro fights and switched back and forth from pro to amateur...
            IMO Marciano never fought his brother in pro fights, yet i do believe like the book says that he fought him in exhibitions and amateur fights.. But Holmes did call into question Rockys 49-0 pro record

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              i must disagree - Holmes definately insinuated that Rockys record was `padded`and refered to these fights with his brother.. The press & the commision jumped on Holmes who then made an official opology by saying, "Maybe i gotta Big mouth".... Lets not forget that Marciano himself used the name `Rocky Mac`in his early pro fights and switched back and forth from pro to amateur...
              IMO Marciano never fought his brother in pro fights, yet i do believe like the book says that he fought him in exhibitions and amateur fights.. But Holmes did call into question Rockys 49-0 pro record
              He may have insinuated it, but he didn't say it.. It was an angry, off the cuff remark that he gave to reporters who were goading him after the Spinks fight..
              And true, he did say, 'Maybe i've gotta big mouth,' to the press, but i think you'll find the personal apology given to Marciano's daughter, was a lot more sincere.

With regard to going back and forth, a fragile argument could me made for 48-0, because he KO'd Lee Epperson on his pro debut, but then went back to the amateurs for an unsuccessful attempt at the Golden Gloves..

Comment

He may have insinuated it, but he didn't say it.. It was an angry, off the cuff remark that he gave to reporters who were goading him after the Spinks fight..
                And true, he did say, 'Maybe i've gotta big mouth,' to the press, but i think you'll find the personal apology given to Marciano's daughter, was a lot more sincere.

With regard to going back and forth, a fragile argument could me made for 48-0, because he KO'd Lee Epperson on his pro debut, but then went back to the amateurs for an unsuccessful attempt at the Golden Gloves..
                yes true enough

Comment

No insinuation, he straight up says that Marciano's record is shady & that he fought his brother multiple times under assumed names. This was in the pre-fight interviews for the Bonecrusher Smith fight.
                  https://youtu.be/xFvvUJIIjsU
                  Wonder if his apology covered this?

Comment

I'll take responsibility for that one.

What did I do to myself?

Comment

You are thinking of Jose conseco

Comment

Working...
                      X