Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the Barclays crowd booing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Barclays crowd booing?

I thought the fight was pretty good for the most part. I thought both guys had good stuff in a lot of rounds, though Thurman was clearly the winner.
    I didn't like the crowd booing every time these guys had a lull in the action. These were the top champs in the division putting their undefeated records on the line and the crowd was booing because they didn't just go in reckless looking for the KO. I felt it was disrespectful to both fighters.

Case could be made for a partisan crowd booing Thurman knowing he was winning and using that lead to not get into trouble or run the risk of the Garsh.

But.. like the commentators said, bigger fights in the past were booed in the second round because the crowd doesnt understand the science of boxing.

Comment

I think it was a pro Danny crowd booing Thurman. Keith got booed in the fighter introductions too.

Comment

Puerto Ricans.

Comment

well it started out well, i guess the crowd then expected a war (i did) then it went downhill and turned into a glorified sparring session for the majority of rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
            well it started out well, i guess the crowd then expected a war (i did) then it went downhill and turned into a glorified sparring session for the majority of rounds.
            Good way of putting it . I mean , I didn't really expect a war but the action in some rounds was lacking . Boxing was on the Big stage and I think we got a bit of a dud . Ima huge boxing fan but in big fights I like to ask my casual fan buddies what they thought of the fight . It gives me an idea how most people who don't Follow boxing saw it . All I kept hearing was " boring fight" , " one guy moved too much and the other didn't throw punches . Now before I get all the typical UDKSAB from NSB . I'm speaking on the fights appeal to the casuals who might not appreciate the sweet science like us fans . Because that's who it was put on CBS for , to try to bring in new viewers to the sport . Unfortunately IMO last night's fight didn't help .

Comment

Originally posted by Idunnoshet View Post
              Good way of putting it . I mean , I didn't really expect a war but the action in some rounds was lacking . Boxing was on the Big stage and I think we got a bit of a dud . Ima huge boxing fan but in big fights I like to ask my casual fan buddies what they thought of the fight . It gives me an idea how most people who don't Follow boxing saw it . All I kept hearing was " boring fight" , " one guy moved too much and the other didn't throw punches . Now before I get all the typical UDKSAB from NSB . I'm speaking on the fights appeal to the casuals who might not appreciate the sweet science like us fans . Because that's who it was put on CBS for , to try to bring in new viewers to the sport . Unfortunately IMO last night's fight didn't help .
              Dan Birmingham should never had told Thurman to play it safe the last two rounds. This was on the big stage. Nobody wants to see a guy dance and move the last two rounds, especially when he was getting the better of the action when he would stand in during the previous 10 rounds. It also almost backfired. Why give the impression of running, and give rounds away. That fight should have never been a split decision, but he would be kicking himself if the fight had of ended up a draw, or a split decision the other way.

Comment

They dont like Keith in New York for whatever reason, they were booing the **** out of him in the Porter fight.

And I wholeheartedly disagree; the fans are the ones that put their money down, they have every right to boo these guys, especially Thurman being on his bike the last three rounds. They paid to see either a knockout or 12 rounds of boxing, not nine rounds of boxing and then a guy circling the ring for three rounds running out the clock. Thurman has a right to do that, but fans have the right to boo him, call him whatever names they like, and not pay to see him again.

Comment

had this been a neutral crowd I would of been upset but it was a very pro Danny crowd. In Brooklyn tons of Puerto Ricans and close to Philly for Philly fans to come. Thurman from Florida so few fans for him in that arena and he didn't come forward to knock out Danny was on his bike for stretches. So the fans paid to see Danny and the few that were on the fence likely turned on Thurman because his fighting style.

Comment

bigger question is why they keep putting thurman in brooklyn or even the east coast? He should be fighting in Florida to build a hometown fanbase or fighting in Vegas. Those Brooklyn fans are never gonna be in his corner.

Comment

Working...
                    X