Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jose Napoles vs Aaron Pryor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

napoles by pts win. Dundee controls the cuts. jose scores a knockdown or two

Comment

Napoles by Decision!

As long as Panama Lewis stays out of Pryor's corner, Napoles wins it by Decision or maybe TKO.

Several things to consider in this fight, Napoles is an All-time great,
      Pryor did not accomplish enough in my opinion to compare to him, Napoles also had 54 Ko's in his Career and had several at LW & JWW so he had good Power in the Lower weights under his main WW class, he also beat All-time great Emile Griffith & lost to Monzon at MW, & Pryor, well being from Cincinnati and heavily into boxing at that time, and seeing all but 1 Pro bout & 90% of his Amateur fights because he was Cinci's guy back then, & having met & spoken to Pryor & many of the people in his camp during those years & after, I would rate Pryor in a lower class of fighter than Napoles, at WW he KO's Pryor, at JWW he decisions him or TKO's him, Pryor cheated Arguello, by the 2nd fight, Arguello's heart & spirit were gone, he beat an aging & well past his Prime Cervantes, who still put Pryor down, & he was put down by D. Johnson, also Kameda put him down in round 1, & these are guys not known for great power, or even good power, & I saw him put down many times in the Amateurs & in sparring, that's why he never fought a real Power guy in the Pros, his people were scared to death that a good power guy would KO him, put him down & keep him down, that's why Napoles beats him, he is a better class of fighter & wins everytime against Pryor, Pryor was an excellent fighter & great one to entertain & watch, but any All-time great with Power Ko's him, & any Great Boxer outpoints him, I just wish Duran had stopped at JWW & put Pryor away to prove my point, also I think Pryor beats Mancini at LW, but I still would like to have seen it happen, it would have been a great fight.

Comment

I would favor Napoles in this match up! He had much more experience in a 15 round bout and fought the better fighters throughout his career! Prior would be dangeruos early against anyone but Jose was a very accomplished fighter and all though I don't like his jab much he has the rest of the skills to beat Prior by distance. Prior was a guy most betters stayed clear of the first Arguello fight was a huge upset with the book! Cervantes was beyond his best at that time so I don't give Prior a big accomplishment at that time! Ray

Comment

Napoles

Just give a little background into my thought on this fight, I'm from Cincinnati and retired now, I saw every single fight Pryor had and many of his Amateur bouts, and I went to the Local Gym and watched him spar and train many times, and got to chat often with many in his Camp, trainers, cornermen, friends, whoever was there, they all loved to talk, and I was a Pryor fan.

But Napoles was a Full WW, Pryor was not, Napoles was a definite ATG, Pryor well no, he loses this fight big on Points, he scores some early, but Napoles defense keeps him from being Knocked out and he slowly overtakes Pryor in every round from the Mid point till the end.

Who did Pryor really beat, an aging and at the end of his Career Cervantes, who put him down in the fight, and Arguello, he was not a JWW, he was at his best below LW, then moved to LW and had great success, so a very good LW, but he was not a JWW, and he was nearing the last of his career, and still Pryor had to cheat to beat him the 1st fight, by the 2nd one, Arguellos heart and soul and any chance he had to beat Pryor were gone, so that's it, who did Pryor beat, No One Else, he avoided #1 JWW contender Mamby, he would have beat him but still didnt fight the #1 guy, his team took him and ran from the LW division, he would have eventually got a title shot, he was ranked from #1 to #4 they would have had to fight him, he would have made much more money there, with all the excellent guys, but they took him and ran to JWW loaded with No bodies, Duran offered him a bout he put it off so long duran had moved to WW, Leonard offered him a fight and he wanted more, so yes Napoles beats him, you have nothing to gauge how pryor fairs by who he beat.

Comment

Working...
          X