Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since when did Mexican nationalistic pride in boxing become a problem!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since when did Mexican nationalistic pride in boxing become a problem!

There seems to be a negative stigma about Mexican nationalism and their pride in their Mexican boxers. Why is this a problem only when Mexicans do it! If anything Puerto Rican & British are more prideful in their fighters but I have no problems with that. Boxing is nationalistic & ethnically base sport. Just keep things civil and respectful! I’ll root and you are aloud to root for whoever you like and relate too!

Just look at the media post on Instagram & Youtube about a Mexican fighter vs a non Mexican and you will see a what I’m talking about especially the Garcia vs Spence fight situation!

People are shook because Mexico has I don't even know how many champions now, lost track.

But oh, ...

A filipino can cheer on a filipino. (Pac)

A Brit can cheer on a Brit. (Joshua)

A Kazak can cheer a Kazakhstan fighter (GGG)

A Canadian can cheer on a Canadian (Lemiux)

A Ukranian can cheer on a Ukranian (Loma)

An American can cheer on the American (Crawford/Spence)

A Puerto Rican can cheer on a Puerto Rican (Cotto)

But if a Mexican cheers on a Mexican....THAT'S RACIST!!!

Comment

I dont have a problem with it...

Comment

If a Brit person cheers on a Brit he’s called racist, if a white guy cheers on a white guy hes racist. I don’t think only Mexicans are accused of this.

I have never had a problem or understood a problem with it but I’ve never quite came to terms with those that openly hate fighters of a different race and that’s what makes me sick about this place. Black, Mexican and white fans are all guilty of this.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
          If a Brit person cheers on a Brit he’s called racist, if a white guy cheers on a white guy hes racist. I don’t think only Mexicans are accused of this.

I have never had a problem or understood a problem with it but I’ve never quite came to terms with those that openly hate fighters of a different race and that’s what makes me sick about this place. Black, Mexican and white fans are all guilty of this.
          I've never heard anyone say if a Brit cheers for a Brit they are racist. They get called homers or what not, but never heard racist claims there.

Have heard of them for Blacks and Mexicans though.

But to answer the OP question, not racist to root for your own. There is a reason why Mexicans and Brits have the best supporting fan base in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post

But that's where this host and his black followers are lost.

Yes, if a white guy cheers on a white guy...just because he's white, that's racist.

But if a white guy cheers on a white guy because he's American (Pavlik as an example) and just happens to be white, then that's fine.

Mexicans cheer for Canelo, a white skinned red head and don't care about his skin tone, they care that he's Mexican and repping the colors.

The host and the blacks that follow him are triggered because they feel it's a brown skin racist issue, when it's not.

Comment

Isn't the problem that you have people born in America and living in the USA but supporting Mexicans because their parents are Mexican?

If you are born in a country, you should support the nation. If Mexico and USA had a war, who would some of these people fight for?

Comment

Originally posted by SA96 View Post
                Isn't the problem that you have people born in America and living in the USA but supporting Mexicans because their parents are Mexican?

If you are born in a country, you should support the nation. If Mexico and USA had a war, who would some of these people fight for?

The issue is Mexican culture is deeply ingrained and entrenched in the southwest. It's so ingrained, that even when born outside of the southwest (but still in the US) it's still part of a Mexican American's identity.

If you dropped a Mexican in say, Iceland, and had a child born and raised in Iceland, no question his allegiance would go to Iceland. There are Zero Mexicans there to help provide influence (it takes a village to raise a child, and a Mexican influenced village will keep his alliance with Mexico 70% of the time).

In the American Southwest, there are millions and millions of Mexicans, and even cities that have spanish names. Hell, the southwest was Mexico. So a kid of Mexican descent is barely removed from Mexico the country and its culture.

Comment

The problem with alot of Mexican boxing fans is they cheer mexican boxers no matter what. Cheater, loaded gloves, peds it don't matter he's mexican. I feel they want those days back with Chavez sr. Bbqs in the back yard, carne asada, cold beers. I'm Mexican I stay away and avoid my friends when it comes to boxing talk sometimes . I'm a boxing fan I don't care what color u are. All boxing styles are great.

Comment

Why does El Ondeado make so many racially-themed posts?

This is like his third one in the past 24 hours.

Comment

Working...
                    X