No announcement yet.

Beginner help pls. Stance and guard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner help pls. Stance and guard

Hi all. New poster here. Been reading through a bunch of posts though.

So , I have come from a karate background. I'm 6'5 and a slim 235. In karate sparring I always fought on the outside and was comfortable in that range. If I was against someone who swarmed or had good hands and got on the inside I would get pushed back, get all flustered and get destroyed.

I have always loved boxing and thought I could improve 2 real weaknesses. Lack of inside fighting and poor defence.

Anyway. I started boxing about 6 months ago. I have been careful not to let any of my karate habits sneak into my boxing so I have been using the neutral stance and basic guard.

Although I had said I wanted to get comfortable on the inside. My trainer suggested I should take on a hit man style. Lead hand lower and really flick the jab. Then defence is kind of a Philly shell and lean back ?

My question. Is it too soon to be trying a different style like this ? Or should I be putting more time in with the basics first. Then experiment ?

Thanks for reading.

My advice would be to do what's comfortable... do what works for you... that basic neutral stance/style isn't for everyone though many think it is

So yeah.. your trainer is the one working with you in person so I would think he knows best as far as what should work for you.. take his advice and give it a try

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Will try in sparring tonight.

Comment

Working...
      X