Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I get my boys to stop this bad habit???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I get my boys to stop this bad habit???

So my 9 & 11 year old both ORTHODOX have a bad habit of slipping to their right ONLY when they spar. When we work mitts they have no issue slipping punches to either side but when they spar they throw everything out the window. I recently had my 13yo spar them (lightly) and told him to hit them with a cross everytime they did it (thinking theyd learn) but nope, they continued (to my frustration) to favor 1 side. I understand it feels more natural to them to move that way but how do I break this bad habit???

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
    So my 9 & 11 year old both ORTHODOX have a bad habit of slipping to their right ONLY when they spar. When we work mitts they have no issue slipping punches to either side but when they spar they throw everything out the window. I recently had my 13yo spar them (lightly) and told him to hit them with a cross everytime they did it (thinking theyd learn) but nope, they continued (to my frustration) to favor 1 side. I understand it feels more natural to them to move that way but how do I break this bad habit???

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
    Get it on tape and explain it to them while pointing it out. Also if its cuz you dont want them getting hit cuz they'll dip to that side... spar with them... and as soon as they dip... welp you know lol

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
      Get it on tape and explain it to them while pointing it out. Also if its cuz you dont want them getting hit cuz they'll dip to that side... spar with them... and as soon as they dip... welp you know lol
      lol, yeah man I had my 13yo tag em a few times but the tontos kept doing it, it was really frustrating me. Its both of them so its gotta be something I am doing wrong but I cant call it yet. Thats why I am looking for some slip drills...

Comment

I used to that, my trainer hit me right in the ear everytime i did wrong.
        Also go and do some drills with them.

Comment

I had a problem with that until I got more comfortable with my footwork. Moving away is a more natural movement when you're off-balance (which beginners usually are in sparring). Slipping to the left feels counter-productive until your footwork is solid and you have a number of counters to play with. Then, a whole number of opportunities open up.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
            lol, yeah man I had my 13yo tag em a few times but the tontos kept doing it, it was really frustrating me. Its both of them so its gotta be something I am doing wrong but I cant call it yet. Thats why I am looking for some slip drills...
            hhmmm

maybe they feel that since they get punches off that they dont have to change... so maybe the opposite will work.

Comment

Are they counter punching off their slips?
              ex. if they slip outside (to the right) of an in coming jab are they using a counter punch.
              Have you taught them to roll under once they slip to their right then counter punch off that?
              It seems you have taught less than 25% of slipping to the right.
              Keep them thin king and add to their repetitions by adding more technique.

If they continue to slip one way move in on them and knock them off balance.

Father & sons is a very tricky situation as teacher & students.
              I know the situation very well and took my son through state, regional and national championships but once he reached 17 yrs old the relationship from father/teacher to son/student changes dramatically most times.
              Make sure your involved with activities outside sports with your boys.
              Activities without demands and discipline are key for a healthy relationship.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                Are they counter punching off their slips?
                ex. if they slip outside (to the right) of an in coming jab are they using a counter punch.
                Have you taught them to roll under once they slip to their right then counter punch off that?
                It seems you have taught less than 25% of slipping to the right.
                Keep them thin king and add to their repetitions by adding more technique.

If they continue to slip one way move in on them and knock them off balance.

Father & sons is a very tricky situation as teacher & students.
                I know the situation very well and took my son through state, regional and national championships but once he reached 17 yrs old the relationship from father/teacher to son/student changes dramatically most times.
                Make sure your involved with activities outside sports with your boys.
                Activities without demands and discipline are key for a healthy relationship.

Ray
                When we are on mitts, they do counter just fine and roll under well, it just doesnt translate well while sparring. I think part of its nerves but at the same time they do it when we do family sparring so I know its not a major factor. But I do like the idea of getting them off balanced. I think tonight at the gym I am going to put them on their butts (nicely) during the peak hours so others see, I think when they are in front of a crowd itll bother them more and hopefully it get them thinking!

And thanks a lot for the Father to Father advice. I am actually going to become more active with St. Judes Childrens Hospital so Im thinking of including them in whatever I choose to do, I hope this promotes a healthier relationship than just me going drill instructor mode on them in the gym...

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  I had a problem with that until I got more comfortable with my footwork. Moving away is a more natural movement when you're off-balance (which beginners usually are in sparring). Slipping to the left feels counter-productive until your footwork is solid and you have a number of counters to play with. Then, a whole number of opportunities open up.
                  You recommend any foot work drills Foxx? Maybe something you did/do that helped you out?? Or Youtube??? Because now that you say it, when they slip they are putting a lot of weight on their back leg so it makes it hard to pivot and/or roll out...

Comment

drill the left slip 30 times each before each spar, get them to do it from the hip

Comment

Working...
                    X