Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Terence Crawford have so many detractors?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he gets more love now than he used to.
    The whole promoters battle that went on on here (dare i say it's not as bad as it once was?) seen a lot of guys hate on him because he was with Arum. That stance seemed to soften in the build up to the Postol fight i thought.

I've always been a fan, his fights are enjoyable.
    I didn't really get on here much last night, so didn't see the reaction to his fight. If there were detractors, i suppose that's not usual. That tends happens lot on here after a guy scores a good win.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
      Most of his detractors are supporters of other "black" boxers. It's mostly because he's with Top Rank and under Arum. "Floyd left Arum but Bud's an Arum puppet"........seen that sentiment several times.

Like him or not, Bud is truly one of the best P4P boxers in the world.
      Show me where that sentiment has been used.

I'll wait.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
        Most of his detractors are supporters of other "black" boxers. It's mostly because he's with Top Rank and under Arum. "Floyd left Arum but Bud's an Arum puppet"........seen that sentiment several times.

Like him or not, Bud is truly one of the best P4P boxers in the world.
        yep seen that a lot. he "should leave arum and hook up with gaymon." if he was they would be all over him proclaiming him the new froid. lol transparent idiots

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
          Show me where that sentiment has been used.

I'll wait.
          there was just a thread on here the other day saying he should leave top rank, you numbskull.

Comment

The Indongo fight only makes sense if Indongo is bringing both of his belts. If not, I want to see him make the move to WW and try to establish the lineage there. 3-weight lineal champion would be amazing.

Comment

Not sure how anyone can hate on him. He got where he was the hard way. Nobody was celebrating him coming up. He fought his way into relevance.

Comment

"Cuz he's black" lol. C+ troll thread, but I'll seriously answer you.

I think some fans feel like Crawford hasn't had many "real fights" & one of them Gamboa was vs a much smaller inactive guy who many feel might have beaten Crawford is the fight was at a more realistic weight for Gamboa & he hadn't been so inactive (all that is a whole other thread/topic doe).

And part of that isn't even his fault cuz often when you are too good for your own good your best competition aren't even "real fights". You're kinda a prisoner or slave of your own success. Go ask Floyd or Ward or even GGG to a lesser extent cuz GGG's own best opposition at 160 (Sergio, Cotto & Canelo for awhile) avoided him so he HAD to fight lesser guys cuz thats all he could fight.

But its not about fault or justice its just public opinion. And public opinion says he's been in 29 setup fights where he was 80%+ to win & two real fights (Gamboa + Postol, one could certainly argue 3 real fights with Burns I guess, but thats a minor point) where he was in with big competition suitable for his skill level. Meanwhile there is a smorgasbord of competition just 7lbs from him where he could have meaningful fight after meaningful fight. Thats the kinda thing that some cats may not even consciously consider or think about, but its right there in front of you that this guy is dominating a division by a mile while these monsters are 7lbs from you that could give you competition. And its not like Crawford is a small guy. He's as big or bigger a cat then all the players at 147 except Brook & Spence.

Thats why I used to be super critical of him previous to the Postol win when I started to give him more respect, but I can understand why some people still have the opinion I formerly held over just one more meaningful win when I was dogging him some of the time.
                Last edited by Eff Pandas; 05-21-2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                  The Indongo fight only makes sense if Indongo is bringing both of his belts. If not, I want to see him make the move to WW and try to establish the lineage there. 3-weight lineal champion would be amazing.
                  Moving to 147 makes more sense then anything else to me. I've been waiting on him to move up to 147 since before the Postol win, but post-Postal win it makes even more sense to leave 140.

That said I believe Indongo to be the #2 guy in the division right now so if he stays at 140 no one else makes sense to fight to me regardless if this fight would be for 2, 1 or no belts. F#ck "lineal" or "unification" bs. Its less meaningful than its ever been & personally I care about it less than I ever have.

Comment

For the same reasons Canelo, GGG, Pac, Mayweather, Thurman, Loma, Ward, et al, have their detractors. For a small percentage maybe race plays a part, but I highly doubt it for Crawford. Considering many of his detractors are siding up with Spence, Thurman, Brook, Porter as favorites to beat him.

Factor in his overmatched opponents, his size at 135/140 and his reluctance to leap up to 147 against the young lions and there is some room for skepticism. He can call out Pac and Thurman all he wants, but we all know who the lion's share of the purse is going to and if he thinks he has leverage for a bigger cut he's sadly mistaken at this point. Get a big win at 147 and the money fights will start to flow. Until then, keep fighting the Molinas and Indongos and wonder why you haven't reached marquee status.

Comment

Originally posted by Hov View Post
                      All he does is go out and demolish his opponents. I hear people saying TC should move up because of his height, size, and reach. Was Postol asked to move up before fighting Crawford? He's 3 inches taller than Crawford with a 3½ inch reach advantage. Why weren't people demanding he move up for the same reasons? The same with Golovkin, nobody ever demanded that he moved to 168.

Is it because he's black? Because that's what it seems like.
                      Who are all these detractors, man? I ain't seeing much of that at all. And I'm not sure that 'demanding' he moves up to 147 (as if the 'demands' of the ants on NSB actually mean anything in the real world) counts as 'detracting' unless you're super-sensitive... if anything it's an acknowledgement of Crawford's quality.

Comment

Working...
                      X