Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cotto's Ring Belt (and belts in general)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto's Ring Belt (and belts in general)

Not that it has anything to do with him being stripped by the WBC, but I've been wondering, why doesn't he carry it to the fights?

Does he even hold a physical version of the title belt? Does that involve a fee as well?

Martinez used to flash his ring mag belt all the time, even carried it up to the ring the night he lost to Cotto, yet post fight, Cotto only held the WBC belt.

Is it a symbolic thing where a boxer gets to keep their belt as memorabilia despite no longer being recognized as champ, and they just give the new champ another belt?

Been wondering about that stuff for the longest time, now seemed as good a time as any to ask.

Originally posted by Assteroid Field View Post
    Not that it has anything to do with him being stripped by the WBC, but I've been wondering, why doesn't he carry it to the fights?

Does he even hold a physical version of the title belt? Does that involve a fee as well?

Martinez used to flash his ring mag belt all the time, even carried it up to the ring the night he lost to Cotto, yet post fight, Cotto only held the WBC belt.

Is it a symbolic thing where a boxer gets to keep their belt as memorabilia despite no longer being recognized as champ, and they just give the new champ another belt?

Been wondering about that stuff for the longest time, now seemed as good a time as any to ask.

Champs always get to keep their belt. If the lose it in a fight, the winner gets to pose for photos with it in the ring, but then the ex-champ gets it back and the sanctioning body sends the new champ their belt in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
      Champs always get to keep their belt. If the lose it in a fight, the winner gets to pose for photos with it in the ring, but then the ex-champ gets it back and the sanctioning body sends the new champ their belt in the mail.
      Ahh, that makes sense. I had a feeling. Thanks.

Anybody know about Cotto's ring belt? How come he doesn't carry it to the ring during ringwalks?

Comment

Originally posted by Assteroid Field View Post
        Ahh, that makes sense. I had a feeling. Thanks.

Anybody know about Cotto's ring belt? How come he doesn't carry it to the ring during ringwalks?
        Most boxers don't care about the RING belt. They care about sanctioning body belts. Fans are the ones that place value on RING belts.

Comment

I used to respect the ring belts until promoter Oscar became the owner of the ring. I no longer have much respect for who they recognize as champion or how they rank boxers in the different weight classes or pound for pound. The ring has really gone down hill since Oscar became the owner. They don't do things the way they used to. Oscar put Rhonda Rousey on the cover and she is not a boxer. That's wrong and the pre Oscar Ring would never have done that.

Comment

Working...
          X