No announcement yet.

History on Fire: Jack Johnson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History on Fire: Jack Johnson

This is a podcast I listen to sometimes. This cat, Daniele Bolelli, does shows on various things or people from history. He's recently finished a 3 part series on Jack Johnson that some of you guys maybe interested in or some noobs may learn something from. He's got a bit of a strong accent, but if you can get accustomed to it I think you'll enjoy listening to this.

LINKS TO THE PODCAST EPISODE ARE RIGHT UNDER THE QUOTES & DETAILS OF THAT PARTICULAR EPISODE

By 1900, the federal government had long abandoned Reconstruction, and white supremacy was returning to the South with a vengeance. Jim Crow was in full swing. Segregation was the law of the land. And Fifty years before Jackie Robinson challenged segregation in baseball, there was Jack Johnson.

Lynching was a weekly event. Any black man in the South not acting subservient could find himself dangling from a tree. Even African American leaders like Booker T. Washington preached that accepting segregation, keeping one’s head down, and working hard were the best options for black people.

Jack Johnson clearly didn’t get the memo.

At this time when simply looking a white man in the eyes, or talking to a white woman, could get one lynched, Jack Johnson made a living beating the hell out of white men in the ring. Living defiantly as if prejudice didn’t exist—he felt—was the best way to defeat racism.

It would be easy to mistake Jack Johnson’s story simply as a tale of standing up to racism. It’s about that—sure. But it’s also about a lot more. Because as much Jack Johnson stared down white supremacy, he also battled those black people who insisted that he behaved like a hard-working, God-fearing role model. But JJ wasn’t about to trade a cage for another. He wouldn’t be anyone’s puppet. He would have no master telling him how to live—not white ones, but no black ones either. His story is the tale of a man who, in spite of a time and place that would not allow it, was on a defiant quest to be free, and live life on his own terms.
    Back in the day when you could still pay your ticket on the spot in cash, a cop pulled over Jack Johnson for speeding.

“Hey boy—said the cop—This is going to cost you $50!”

Johnson handed him $100. The cop tried to protest he didn’t have change, but Johnson waved him off.

“I will be coming back this same way, and I’ll be driving at the same speed, so I’m just paying you in advance.”

“His story is one of the great dramas not just of American sports, but of all American history.”
    — New York Times

“This fellow Johnson is a fair fighter, but he is a black. And for that reason, I will never fight him.” — Heavyweight Champion Jim Jeffries

In this episode:

-How a man who would be among the best fighters in the world grew up as a wimp having his sisters protecting him
    -The color line in boxing
    -The 1900 Galveston Flood
    -Joe Choynski: first KOs Jack Johnson and then teaches him how to fight… in jail
    -JJ’s complicated fascination with white women
    -The curious story of Saverio Giannone (aka Joe Grim): “I am Joe Grim and I fear no man”
    -Chasing Tommy Burns around the world
    -Jack Johnson’s defiant smile
    -“Jim Jeffries must emerge from his alpha alpha farm, and remove that golden smile from Jack Johnson’s face. Jeff, it’s up to you. The White Man must be rescued.” — Jack London
    http://historyonfirepodcast.com/epis...ad-to-the-bone

"And it was fast cars and whiskey
    Long legged girls and fun
    I had everything that money could bring
    And I took it all with a gun”
    — from the song I’ve Never Picked Cotton

“Johnson did not care. He had no use for the bourgeois values of thrift and respectability.” —Randy Roberts

“You don’t catch Jim Jeffries losing to a colored man.” — Jim Jeffries

“Quite conceivably there had never been a more important athletic event in American history.” — Randy Roberts

“Even those who have an absurdly exaggerated horror of prize fighting as a ‘brutal’ sport should gently warm in their sensitive minds a little hope that the white man may not lose, while the rest of us will wait in open anxiety the news that he has licked the—well, since it must be in print, let us say the negro, even though it is not the first word that comes to the tongue’s tip.” — New York Times

In this episode:

-Public Enemy Number One
    -At home in the integrated criminal underworld
    -Ladies and fast cars
    -Jack Johnson’s intellectual side
    -The Great White Hope
    -Knocking out and befriending Stanley “The Assassin” Ketchel
    -“I am going into this fight for the sole purpose of proving that a white man is better than a negro.” Jim Jeffries
    -Why the Governor of California prohibited the fight
    -Death threats and attempted poisonings
    -Jack Johnson’s eerie calm under pressure
    A spectator: “He’ll kill you, Jack.”
    Jack Johnson: “That’s what they all say.”
    -The verbal fight with Jim Corbett
    -Triumph and riots in over 50 cities
    http://historyonfirepodcast.com/epis...rt-2-the-fight

“He refused to allow anyone—white or black—or any laws and customs—to dictate his place in society or the manner in which he should live.” — Al-Tony Gilmore

“This negro, in the eyes of many, has been persecuted. Perhaps as an individual he was. But it was his misfortune to be the foremost example of the evil in permitting the intermarriage of whites and blacks.” — Asst Atty. Gen. Harry Parkin

“No brutality, no infamy, no degradation in all the years of Southern slavery, possessed such a villainous character and such atrocious qualities as the provision of the laws of Illinois, New York, Massachusetts, and other states which allow the marriage of the negro, Jack Johnson, to a woman of Caucasian strain.” He continued “Intermarriage between whites and blacks is repulsive and averse to every sentiment of pure American spirit. It is abhorrent and repugnant to the very principles of a pure Saxon government. It is subversive to social peace. It is destructive of moral supremacy, and ultimately this slavery of white women to black beasts will bring this nation to a conflict as fatal and as bloody as ever reddened the soil of Virginia or crimsoned the mountain paths of Pennsylvania… Let us uproot and exterminate now this debasing, ultrademoralizing, un-American and inhuman leprosy.” — Congressman from Georgia Seaborn Roddenberry

“It comes down, then, after all to this unforgivable blackness.” — W.E.B. Du Bois

“I loved him because of his courage. He faced the world unafraid. There wasn't anybody or anything he feared.” — Irene Pineau

“I would rather listen to you than hear an oration from a professional politician. I can learn more from you.” — Mexican President Venustiano Carranza

In this episode:

-The campaign to ban boxing
    -Grappling with the demons of success
    -Jack Johnson vs. Winston Churchill
    -Marriage and suicide
    -Legal persecution and marriage # 2
    -The Police Gazette calling him “the vilest, most despicable creature that lives… he has disgusted the American public by flaunting in their faces an alliance as bold as it was offensive.”
    -The paranoid hysteria at the roots of the Mann Act
    -Running from the Law
    -The title defense against Frank Moran
    -At a party with Rasputin
    -Rubbing elbows with Pancho Villa
    -Jess Willard
    -Prison life
    -Marriage # 3
    http://historyonfirepodcast.com/epis...-nobodys-slave

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    This is a podcast I listen to sometimes. This cat, Daniele Bolelli, does shows on various things or people from history. He's recently finished a 3 part series on Jack Johnson that some of you guys maybe interested in or some noobs may learn something from. He's got a bit of a strong accent, but if you can get accustomed to it I think you'll enjoy listening to this.

LINKS TO THE PODCAST EPISODE ARE RIGHT UNDER THE QUOTES & DETAILS OF THAT PARTICULAR EPISODE

http://historyonfirepodcast.com/epis...ad-to-the-bone

http://historyonfirepodcast.com/epis...rt-2-the-fight

http://historyonfirepodcast.com/epis...-nobodys-slave
    Thanks but he's literally retelling the story of "Unforgivable blackness" i'll check it out but from your bulletin points on what he covers the documentary almost word for word

Comment

Unforgivable Blackness I still gotta see. I believe there's an HBO doc or two on Joe Louis as well, isn't there? I remember they did a pretty good one on Robinson as well. Any other good ones out there? Assault in the Ring I enjoyed. Kind of sad though.

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
        Thanks but he's literally retelling the story of "Unforgivable blackness" i'll check it out but from your bulletin points on what he covers the documentary almost word for word
        I was about to say the same exact thing.

Comment

Working...
        X