Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to start up my own business (gardening) anyone on here do it & offer advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So a landscaper. Your first year will be rough lol. Idk how things are in the uk tho. Don’t be the cheap ass “lowest price in town” guy then you’ll just attract cheap nitpicking customers. Look on YouTube there’s some good landscapers that vlog

Comment

Unless you know how to quote and not sell your self short always work on an hourly rate.
      That way you can take abit extra time to do a good job plus you will never loose money.
      Or if you do quote always allow an extra 10% money and time cause everything costs more and takes longer than everyone thinks it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
        Order the best strains from Amsterdam, grow indoors, clones are the best way. There are kits you can buy online, but I’d suggest you pick up your lights and timers, pumps and accessories using cash. Never buy grow paraphernalia online or at a grow shop with a credit card.

Don’t sell your tomatoes yourself, wholesale them to people who do not know you are the grower, and never take anyone with you to your farm.. I can give you lots of solid advice.
        Thanks for the advice bro, I have experience with greenhouse seeds from dam. But I'm doing legal gardening lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          I have started businesses, and have invested in startups before

1. Do you have a business plan?

2.is it articulate and layout the plan, sales, execution, etc and does it show how you make money

3. What type of legal entity are you ie sole proprietor, LLC, LP, etc

4. What are startup costs, operating costs, etc. How are you funding the operations?

5.do you understand all the different state, local, and federal licenses and fein #

Those are the most basic but most important things to get a business started. And literally the first thing a bank will ask or want to look at
          To be honest everything you wrote is good information I'm not up to speed with the whole process I've never had a business. But im researching everything. the post below yours by rockyblower is roughly my plan just start off small doing general landscaping try to build a name for myself. Go from there but thank you very much for helping out and giving me some scope of what the process entails

Comment

Originally posted by Rockybigblower View Post
            Or....you could leaflet drop your local neighbourhood and start out doing small cash jobs. With this sort of business....unless you eventually plan to franchise it out....less is best. Work on $50 an hour for 6 hours a day and you got $1500 a week plus plenty of leisure time. Work hard for your $50 And you will soon have a regular customer base based on word of mouth. After expenses you should be at least a grand in the hand barring any major catastrophe.
            Spot on mate,
            This is my plan start off small work as hard as possible and earn enough to buy a van to transport general landscaping gear. I'm planning on working alone for now not a massive business just going to learn the ropes and make the best of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BufordTannen View Post
              So a landscaper. Your first year will be rough lol. Idk how things are in the uk tho. Don’t be the cheap ass “lowest price in town” guy then you’ll just attract cheap nitpicking customers. Look on YouTube there’s some good landscapers that vlog
              I'm glad you mentioned not underselling myself that was my actual plan to offer cheap prices to get more custom. But thank you for your insight it makes sense to me and I will check out YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by BLASTER1 View Post
                Unless you know how to quote and not sell your self short always work on an hourly rate.
                That way you can take abit extra time to do a good job plus you will never loose money.
                Or if you do quote always allow an extra 10% money and time cause everything costs more and takes longer than everyone thinks it does.
                Thank you very much bro solid advice. Appreciate it would you say £10 a hour for general landscaping is a good price to start with?

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread I appreciate your time & effort in helping out a stranger.

Comment

Originally posted by Gennadyevich View Post
                    I'm glad you mentioned not underselling myself that was my actual plan to offer cheap prices to get more custom. But thank you for your insight it makes sense to me and I will check out YouTube
                    You don’t have to be the most expensive. But starting out as the cheapest is a bad idea. “Don’t jump over dollars to get to pennies”

Comment

Originally posted by Gennadyevich View Post
                      I've had a few years experience doing horticultural work but would like to set up my own business. If there's any advice from anyone on here in the business. I would be grateful if you could advise or share experiences with me. Many thanks much appreciated.
                      Once established, bring over some illegal Mexicans and under cut all competition. Its worked for the Caucasian Americans for years.

Comment

Working...
                      X