No announcement yet.

Shawn Porter beat some top middleweights in the ams

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shawn Porter beat some top middleweights in the ams

Crazy how he used to fight in the 160s and in high school he played football and was over 180 pounds as a running back but decided on boxing instead.

I heard he beat demetrious andrade, danny jacobs, edwin rodriguez and a few others, why did he drop all the way down to 147 is it because all those guys were so much taller than him?

They were probably around 13 and roughly the same size at the time.

Comment

Porter and his father said Porter fought them all above 160 pounds.

Comment

They probably felt Porter could have an easier way to the top if he rehydrated and was the bigger man considering his style.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazylegs77 View Post
          They probably felt Porter could have an easier way to the top if he rehydrated and was the bigger man considering his style.
          thats what im thinking, at 154 he looked horrible he cant really beat guys at 160 using his style if Kell Brook who is a huge 147 pounder man handled him in the clinch imagine a 154 pounder who is even bigger than Brook? Porter might wind up damaged badly at 154 or 160.

Comment

Unfortunately his style doesn't suite well in the upper weightclasses were he won't be able to bully or outwork the bigger man on the inside.

Comment

I'm sure in the AMs he was able to outwork the bigger opponent by speed but considering we are talking 3rds. In a 12 round against a legit 154lb or 160lb fighter it would be no good.

Comment

at that time you were dealing with 16 yr olds. closed case...........

Comment

Porter has no choice. He a very short middleweight with average power.
                  Thurman who is not a tall welter is even taller than him.

But this got me to remember. Curtis Stevens, 5'7", used to be a super middleweight. But at least he has power to KO opponents.

Comment

In the AM's no decent coach (especially a dad) is going to weight drain a kid. Simple weight cutting is typical but the way the pros do it could really put a strain on a youngsters body and make em hate the sport. With that said, I am sure once Porter realized which sport he wanted to pursue as an adult pro, his height came into factor and the best choice was to get serious and cut weight for an advantage. Smart move by the Porters to fight as a WW pro given his big names at MW (ams) hes already beat, that probably makes for a lot of confidence knowing he took shots from bigger guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X