Smokin' Joe Frazier Passes Away at age 67

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokin' Joe Frazier Passes Away at age 67

And I bet he gave it hell.

As a very young boy who often got into trouble, stumbling into Joe Fraziers gym was the greatest thing to ever happen in my life. I was a reformed person. Under the tutelage of Joe, I learned the Ins and outs of boxing. I knew how to box like hearns, I know how to counterpunch, but I preferred to be a swarmer, because it was much more fun.

I was blessed with unnatural strength and an inhuman toughness and preserverance that greatly helped my boxing. But it was the dedication, work ethic, and never give up attitude that Joe Frazier instilled me that I take heart too. It helped my school grades and study habits, leading to high ACT scores and good grades. But it bettered me as person. As my role model, father figure, best friend, cornerman, trainer and figure of high respect. I will always rate Frazier as the toughest most determined man ever to enter the ring. He is for me the suprafighter, the best fighter in history. Is he the kind of boxer like Willie Pep? Is his resume as strong as Ezzard Charles? Perhaps not. But he trained and worked harder than any fighter before or after, and showed up with the intention to take you to hell and back.

The most remarkable human being I have ever met, my number 5 ATG heavyweight, my favorite fighter, undisputed heavy weight champion of the world, and perhaps the greatest win ever in the most important fight on March 4th 1971, Joe Frazier is my idol.

Farwell my old friend, the final bell has rung.

RIP Smokin' Joe.

Hell of a man.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post

As a very young boy who often got into trouble, stumbling into Joe Fraziers gym was the greatest thing to ever happen in my life. I was a reformed person. Under the tutelage of Joe, I learned the Ins and outs of boxing. I knew how to box like hearns, I know how to counterpunch, but I preferred to be a swarmer, because it was much more fun.

I was blessed with unnatural strength and an inhuman toughness and preserverance that greatly helped my boxing. But it was the dedication, work ethic, and never give up attitude that Joe Frazier instilled me that I take heart too. It helped my school grades and study habits, leading to high ACT scores and good grades. But it bettered me as person. As my role model, father figure, best friend, cornerman, trainer and figure of high respect. I will always rate Frazier as the toughest most determined man ever to enter the ring. He is for me the suprafighter, the best fighter in history. Is he the kind of boxer like Willie Pep? Is his resume as strong as Ezzard Charles? Perhaps not. But he trained and worked harder than any fighter before or after, and showed up with the intention to take you to hell and back.

The most remarkable human being I have ever met, my number 5 ATG heavyweight, my favorite fighter, undisputed heavy weight champion of the world, and perhaps the greatest win ever in the most important fight on March 4th 1971, Joe Frazier is my idol.

Very good. Clearly a heartfelt post.

Comment

Floyd Mayweather is taking the costs for his funeral, according to Facebook.

Comment

Awesome post. I would green K you again if I could.

It's nice to know that you had the honor and privilege of knowing Mr. Frazier. He's one of the reasons why boxing is the greatest sport ever.

RIP to one of the greatest.

Comment

My sincerest condolences. We're all feeling this but it must be especially hard for you and those closest to him. I'm sure Death came for him in his sleep, because if he was awake, there would have been a fight. That's just the kind of guy Smokin' Joe was. If we see another heavyweight with half the courage and aggression of boxing, it could make boxing a true American past time again. He was a true warrior and he will be dearly missed.

Comment

sad news.

r.i.p great champ.

Comment

Great post, We all lost a little something with Joe passing, you more than most I imagine so my sympathies DT. It seemed to me thay Joe was such a fighting man that he never seemed to find peace in retirement, I hope he finds it now. Joe whilst he should make anyone's top 10 HW list never scores that great in H2H match ups but when you think, he lost to 2 fighters. Head to head those 2 fighters would have one hell of a chance against Joe Louis or any other HW so let's not write off Joe h2h. Foreman knocked him down several times, people forget Frazier got up every time. Ali blinded him Frazier had to be held back from going out to fight. Some fighter, some warrior. Not many fighters win the fight of the century after all.
                Start counting to 10 he'll get up, he always gets up.

Comment

There were two fighters completely responsible for my becoming a boxing fan. One was Roy Jones Jr., who is the first fighter I remember watching as a kid. The other was Joe Frazier, who as weird as this sounds I first remember from a set of encyclopedias my parents had. Each one was dedicated to events that happened in a certain year, and most of them were from between 1967-1973, so there were large parts of them dedicated to boxing. I remember reading about Joe Frazier in the years leading up to the Fight of the Century, being interested, and asking my parents about Frazier, and eventually seeing fights they had taped. Eventually I saw Frazier fights on ESPN Classic, and was immediately a fan. There's never been anyone I enjoyed watching more.

I hope that with his passing, we can appreciate Joe's career for how special it was. I also hope that we can reflect on his life without immediately bringing up Ali. Yes he was a large part of Joe's career, but Joe himself was about so much more.

You'll never be forgotten while there's a real boxing fan left in the world Mr. Frazier. Rest in peace.

Comment

Green k. Sorry this must hit you harder than most.

Comment

Working...
                    X