• Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA amateur middleweight weights;
    junior middle 156lbs
    middleweight 165lbs.

Comment

Two things:

1) He probably held slightly more fat from that time period until now. He's shredded as **** and has very low body fat when he fights. I highly doubt as a teenager he was as good at nutrition/dieting as he is now, and even if a little he probably still carried slightly more body fat.

2) He drains water weight and re-hydrates to around 160-165. Against Broner, I don't know the his unofficial weigh in, but I'm sure he was at least 158~ish pounds. That was despite a catch weigh of 144. So he still does weigh a lot.

Comment

He beat Jacobs a few times as well as some other good names.

He's a good fighter. His flaws can be taken advantage of by other top guys, but he's got a lot of good attributes.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
          He beat Jacobs a few times as well as some other good names.

He's a good fighter. His flaws can be taken advantage of by other top guys, but he's got a lot of good attributes.
          Jacobs beat him twice (in 2007)...

Won against Julio Diaz, Devon Alexander, Paul Malignaggi, Adrien Broner, Demetrius Andrade, Edwin Rodriguez.
          Lost against Kell Brook.
          Drew against Julio Diaz.

Comment

Well, in the amateurs, there's plenty of big-fish stories. Also factor in Porter played multiple different sports, and also wasn't a professional athlete so he was likely to carry a little extra weight. You know, when he's transitioning between his football seasons and amateur bouts, cutting weight isn't going to be quite as drastic as the professional realm. Plus, it's really not uncommon to see guys in bigger weight classes than they should be.

Also, there's a bit of leniency in amateur boxing with making weight.. especially in local scenes. I forget the actual regulation, but in local shows I think as long as you and your opponent are within 8lbs of each other? Tournaments though you can't be more than 2 lbs under; if you weigh within 2 lbs over you have a certain time frame to make weight. Over 2 lbs, fight is a no-go. Please correct me, I'm sure I'm not 100% correct, but this was the case at the Reno Nat'l a few weeks ago and as well as at RWC.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
              Jacobs beat him twice (in 2007)...

Won against Julio Diaz, Devon Alexander, Paul Malignaggi, Adrien Broner, Demetrius Andrade, Edwin Rodriguez.
              Lost against Kell Brook.
              Drew against Julio Diaz.
              If I recall correctly, Jacobs said they fought 7 times in the amateurs. Porter beat him only once or twice, but given the size disadvantage that's to be expected.

His amateur record is pretty solid, 276-14.

Comment

Working...
              X