Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is boxing in it's worst state in modern history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
    If you hope boxing dies out soon what the hell are you even doing on a boxing board? If barely anyone cares about boxing how can Mayweather make 200 million in one fight while the most any MMA fighter has ever made for one fight is about one million? The best paid boxers like Canelo makes more money in a single fight than the best paid MMA guys make in their entire career. If MMA is so much better and nobody cares about boxing where is all this money top boxers make coming from and why can't MMA guys make that kind of money????????????????????
    boxers are being extremely overpaid and that's one of the reasons why its dying out. its not self sustainable with these big paydays. paying someone big money to have fights that are noncompetitive and no one cares about doesn't work. mayweather vs pac was the nail in the coffin. MANY people realized why they stopped watching boxing in the first place. u cant judge a popularity of a sport by how much the athletes make.

mma is without a doubt much more respected sport than boxing. it's not even close. wwe is more popular than boxing. athletes from other sports are recognized world wide. tennis stars, basketball stars, soccer/football stars, mma stars, are internationally recognized easily. many people in the US don't know who mayweather is.

boxing is for losers.
    Last edited by Divine Hammer; 05-29-2016, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Definitely not at its worst ever. Ducking has happened since always, nothing new at all.

Boxing is great these days, we have more fights than ever.

Comment

It's well and truly dead in America. In terms of the talent, in terms of general interest, it's the worst it's been in recent memory. The recent Canyellow farce was a perfect example of why most don't bother with boxing anymore. What's the point? There's no structure, no competitive spirit, just a complete cluster**** of a pseudo sport.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
          I've been following boxing since the mid 90's...i mean watching every televised fight, ppv or otherwise, watching fights online, subscribing to boxing magazines and websites, travelling to live fights etc. I don't know if it was just cuz i was younger and naive, but i don't recall the sport ever functioning this badly on an elite level. I always remember the schedule being fairly consistent and there always being a good fight to look forward to. Now it seems like there's less fights lined up, and in my country(canada), the networks don't carry as many fights as they used to. I guess what I'm looking for here is some reassurance that things aren't really as bad and some perspective on how it's getting better.
          Agree, this era is terrible

The best dont fight the best anymore, everybody wants to make the most $$$ doing the least effort, blatant ducking and cherrypicking is at an all time high, at least among the top fighters.

I blame the current state of affairs on three culprits:

1. Greedy, corrupt alphabet organizations with their miriad trinket belts. Really, whoever came with the idea of the regular, interim, diamond, silver, super, etc belts needs to be hanged

2. Floyd Mayweather - by showing fighters they can get rich by fighting overly defensive snoozefests against hand picked opponents, overinflating the value of the ¨0¨, etc. he chased away the casuals who watch the sport for exciting fights and showed fighters that cowardice is rewarded in this sport, and now everybody's following his bad example

3. Al Haymon - by overprotecting and overpaying his fighters.
          why take risks against decent opposition when you can make as much money fighting the Rod Salkas of the world?

Those are the 3 reasons the sport is at an all time low

honorable mention for the network issues
          Last edited by lopetego; 05-29-2016, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Hammer View Post
            definitely at its worst ever. everyone is following the floyd blueprint. they try to make the most money will avoiding challenges. there are no more heroes in this sport. manny and wlad were the only great fighters who had that throwback mentality of fighting despite the odds. where is that now??? NOWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've come to realize that boxing is such a joke loser sport. MMA is honestly better than boxing in every aspect. barely anyone cares about boxing. good riddance. i hope boxing dies out soon.
            lol then why are you here. im sure youll be posting here a year from now saying the same thing lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Those Eastern Euro states are still like the difference between a guy being from Alabama or Mississippi in the US so I have trouble keeping track of them sometimes, but my bad, thanks for correcting me in a polite manner *******.
              >_>.... Is Kazakhstan even considered eastern european?

Nah but seriously... Boxing is doing fine. America finally got an american champ at hw again but it remains to be seen if hes the one they can get behind. There are some young american guys who are very good so far and have some hype going for em. Ward beating Kovalev would do him well if he would get his whiny ass in the ring more often. The uk is doing great and they also have a great boxing culture. Mexico will always do fine. PR will be okay. Japan is doing great. Phillipines are ok though obviously no Pac is a big blow but they've got good fighters right now but you've gotta go south.

Basically boxing is fine... The "american" public just got salty over the loss of a good american hw as if the rest of the world felt the same lol. Hell, the biggest draw by miles was american in Floyd... Boxing's biggest fight arguably ever just recently took place. Boxing probably won't ever die...too global and accessible. ANYONE can box regardless of size (sorry dwarfs..but Gary Russell is dwarf like so there's an ambassador lol)

S hitty pay per views with horribly mismatches are still selling in the hundreds of thousands. There's good talent coming up from almost every "main" country right now with Canelo only being 25 and being the obvious future..he's also got the competition in range to blow up though he could lose to GGG..but we win as fans either way.

Comment

definitely at its worst ever. everyone is following the floyd blueprint. they try to make the most money will avoiding challenges. there are no more heroes in this sport. manny and wlad were the only great fighters who had that throwback mentality of fighting despite the odds. where is that now??? NOWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've come to realize that boxing is such a joke loser sport. MMA is honestly better than boxing in every aspect. barely anyone cares about boxing. good riddance. i hope boxing dies out soon.
                i visit mma forums occasionally and we laugh at you boxing punks. boxing is going down the drain FAST while MMA is constantly on the rise the world over. coward mentality has taken over boxing.
                The best MMA fighters fight for pocket change compared to what the best boxers get paid. But the MMA fighters get a bonus no boxers gets. They get a gross pair of shapeless mutilated ears that even plastic surgery can't fix.

Comment

Nobody is earning anything and fans enable them and make it so that they don't have to earn anything and they get away with taking the easiest route to greatness as possible

Guys score some decent wins and they think they're "A-Side Fighters"

I don't know about the Worst but it is not good! Guys can't fight inside, guys can't cut the ring off, some guys don't even have a proper jab but they have a fanbase that will argue that these guys are so "Great"

Comment

Originally posted by Ham Porter View Post
                    It's well and truly dead in America. In terms of the talent, in terms of general interest, it's the worst it's been in recent memory. The recent Canyellow farce was a perfect example of why most don't bother with boxing anymore. What's the point? There's no structure, no competitive spirit, just a complete cluster**** of a pseudo sport.
                    exactly this. i used to like boxing. i really did. but now it's one giant farce. sad it took me this long to see it.

MANY people dont even consider boxing a sport. i dont really consider it a sport.

people need to move on from boxing. it's going nowhere and is rapidly declining. there are no stand out stars in this sport anymore. they're all hyped up overrated to make $$$$$$$$.

if u want to see true heroism, true champions then watch better respected sports like MMA, tennis, golf, basketball, soccer/football, etc. etc.

Comment

i visit mma forums occasionally and we laugh at you boxing punks. boxing is going down the drain FAST while MMA is constantly on the rise the world over. coward mentality has taken over boxing.
                      There are twelve fight cards taking place today across ten countries (Belgium, Brazil, Hungary, India, Italy, South Korea, Russia, South Africa, Spain, and the U.K.). You can cheerlead Dana Whites idiotic promotional assertions all you want, but it doesn't necessarily make them true. One quick look at UFC PPV numbers shows an up and down cycle. Not constant growth...an up and down cycle. Numbers don't lie, but fat promoters that have never been in a fight do.
                      Basing the progression of MMA on their fans gullibility to trust a promoters words...I'd say it's still in it's infancy.

Here's a breakdown of the numbers for you. Since the UFC has lost it's two biggest stars in the last year, guess which direction the numbers will head for their next PPV.

http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/

Comment

Working...
                      X