Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donaire's Opponent's Manager Ignites Family Feud, Vows of Vengeance

Donaire opponent's manager ignites family feud, vows of vengeance

August 11, 3:48 PM SF Boxing Examiner Colin Seymour

Any worries that Nonito Donaire Jr. might have trouble working up enthusiasm for Saturday’s bout with Rafael Concepcion have been put aside this week. Concepcion’s manager said three things that have really hacked off Team Donaire, which collectively vows to make short work of the short Panamanian in Las Vegas.

Damon de Berry is the manager. Philboxing.com writer Anthony Duljoman Andales has fanned the flames with wildly entertaining advocacy. And Nonito’s father-in-law, Gerry Marcial, called the brouhaha and its impact on Donaire to my attention.

First, de Berry alluded to the rift between Nonito Donaire Sr. and Junior, whom intimates refer to as Jun, by implying Concepcion’s family solidarity provides a big edge in this matchup. That’s ridiculous.

Senior is one of the most notable trainers in the Philippines (so that must go double for the Bay Area) and is responsible for molding Jun to a level of ring sophistication as high as any in boxing right now, certainly including the proud father himself. At 26, Jun wants to be his own man, and that led him to split professionally with Senior. The split spilled into the personal; it is undeniably, after nine months, a serious rift.

This is not a taboo subject in the Donaire camp. I avoid writing about it only because I don’t have access to the father. I’ve talked to Jun and Rachel about it at length. Although it has been wrenching to be at odds with Senior, and be judged harshly in the Philippines as a result, the impact on Jun’s ring performance is not perceived to be a negative by Team Donaire. His genial relationship with the Penalosa brothers and their deference to his intellect seem to be helping him gather steam professionally.

Next, de Berry dissed Penalosas as trainers. “We’re more concerned if the dad is still the trainer,” he told Duljoman. Ouch.

“The Penalosas are ticked off, too,” Marcial said.

That’s beside the point, Donaire says. “It’s my fight. I’m my own man; I’m pretty much my own fighter.” Anyone who doesn’t understand that is severely underestimating what makes this man one of the most important people in boxing.

And finally, de Berry presented the flawed logic that convinced me this fight won’t go three rounds. Keep in mind that Nonito expects Concepcion to make the fight, forcefully so, and that Donaire should be able to land a devastating counterpunch rather quickly. His left hook in those situations is among the most feared in boxing.

Here’s a paragraph from the story. Note that it’s hard to tell where the quotes begin and end: DeBerry said that Donaire is a very smart boxer and they can’t see too much flaws in his game. But they think Rafael is the stronger fighter. Through Rafael’s power, Donaire Junior will surrender and hopefully breaks down in later rounds because he’s not used to fights going to deeper waters. We’ll dig those ribs, and we’ll never back down from him. Power for power we’re very much ahead. So, we’ll just focus on our plans and options and hope we can deliver a very entertaining fight for the boxing fans.

Well, he’s right about that last part. Manny Pacquiao proved how satisfying a two-round ass-kicking can be, and now Donaire’s going to reinforce that concept. Like his role model Bruce Lee, he’s determined to show how he deals with those who would disparage his family.

http://www.examiner.com/x-802-SF-Box...s-of-vengeance
Working...
X