No announcement yet.

Oppressions Throughout History and Modern Day

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oppressions Throughout History and Modern Day

Obviously in America we are all very familiar with the slave trade, and the discrimination that followed up until now albeit to a much lesser degree.

But let's take a place like India for example. They have a caste system that you are born within, and this caste is comprised of Brahmin(Priests and Scholars) at the top, followed by Kshatriya (Nobility/Warriors), then by Vaishya (Merchants/Businesman) pretty much all of Patels are in this class then there is Sudra (The peasants, workers, servants) and finally the lowest of the low are the Untouchables, these are your street sweepers, toilet cleaners, and the most lowest part of society.

So basically if you are born in India, whatever caste you are born into, is what determines your life. It's highly looked down upon to marry outside of your caste, and God forbid you are born an untouchable, forget about drinking from the same water fountain, your shadow cannot even cross someone of a higher caste. Discrimination is not only institutionalized in this system, its encouraged.

I thought they done away with the Caste system recently? and its mainly poverty issue now?

Dont they go by last name? like you can identify the caste by the last name?

I wonder what caste PATEL is? I see a lot of them in America.

Comment

Originally posted by Enayze View Post
      Obviously in America we are all very familiar with the slave trade, and the discrimination that followed up until now albeit to a much lesser degree.

But let's take a place like India for example. They have a caste system that you are born within, and this caste is comprised of Brahmin(Priests and Scholars) at the top, followed by Kshatriya (Nobility/Warriors), then by Vaishya (Merchants/Businesman) pretty much all of Patels are in this class then there is Sudra (The peasants, workers, servants) and finally the lowest of the low are the Untouchables, these are your street sweepers, toilet cleaners, and the most lowest part of society.

So basically if you are born in India, whatever caste you are born into, is what determines your life. It's highly looked down upon to marry outside of your caste, and God forbid you are born an untouchable, forget about drinking from the same water fountain, your shadow cannot even cross someone of a higher caste. Discrimination is not only institutionalized in this system, its encouraged.
      That is utterly despicable. So if you are born at the bottom you must stay there even if you are a genius? Thats just horrible, it works if your born in a good caste. And terrible if not. I never agree with discrimination and although I make a good living I never look down on anyone struggling. I was born into poverty, my mom went to school and made a better living for her children. In that system in india you never have the chance to elevate yourself. And thats just wrong. Are you from india? Props to you for speaking out against this sever injustice.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
        I thought they done away with the Caste system recently? and its mainly poverty issue now?

Officially it's "done away with" but in reality it still exists.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post

In my post I mentioned that PATEL is part of the Merchant class. And officially it might be "done away with" but it's still very engrained into India's culture.

Comment

Originally posted by mrjoeblive View Post
            That is utterly despicable. So if you are born at the bottom you must stay there even if you are a genius? Thats just horrible, it works if your born in a good caste. And terrible if not. I never agree with discrimination and although I make a good living I never look down on anyone struggling. I was born into poverty, my mom went to school and made a better living for her children. In that system in india you never have the chance to elevate yourself. And thats just wrong. Are you from india? Props to you for speaking out against this sever injustice.
            I am not from India, but I am somewhat familiar with their caste system. Basically if you are born into the lower caste you can still succeed you just have to make the best of that caste. So for example since the Untouchables are the street sweepers and toilet cleaners, you could still succeed by starting your own trash business, or plumbing business. It's looked down upon the other castes to do the dirty work, so they tend to hire people of lower castes to do it for them. Therefore if you're somewhat smart you can have lucrative living doing the jobs that others do not want to touch.

Comment

In Japan they used to have this too.

Farmers were low on the power scale, but below them, because of the influence of Buddhist monks and others, a new group was created, the Burakumin.
              Physically the same, but there used to be strong discrimination against them.

There are a few older fools who look down on them!

Comment

Originally posted by Enayze View Post
                I am not from India, but I am somewhat familiar with their caste system. Basically if you are born into the lower caste you can still succeed you just have to make the best of that caste. So for example since the Untouchables are the street sweepers and toilet cleaners, you could still succeed by starting your own trash business, or plumbing business. It's looked down upon the other castes to do the dirty work, so they tend to hire people of lower castes to do it for them. Therefore if you're somewhat smart you can have lucrative living doing the jobs that others do not want to touch.
                In America the Mexicans are considered the untouchables if there was a caste system, also the Mexican president said the Blacks in American won't even do the job the Mexican illegals do in America.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/14/fox.jackson/

Comment

Working...
                X