Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are your top 5 hardest hitters at HW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problems i have with Shavers are his competition/ko record and how effective he was in reality... Yes he did clock Holmes hard late in the fight, but still Holmes recovered and ended a one sided affair...

What we have with Shavers are mythological stories from guys who did beat him, not much else, his record is full of bums and cruisers/light-heavies... I'm sure he could crack, he did always put his entire body in every right cross, but never stopped anyone of note, except a green Jimmy Young and a shot Ken Norton, he couldn't even put down zombie Ali hitting him flush on the chin constantly...

As i said about Bowe, he was never much of a puncher, confirmed by people who sparred him, his power was in Holyfield's range, but Evander punched better and sharper, better combos too... Yes he did hurt iron chinned warrior Holyfield, but that was all about accumulation in a war...

Vitali Klitschko hits hard no doubt, but not even close to Wladimir, just look at his kos, Chris Byrd confirmed this also... Wladimir is a phenomenal puncher, probably the hardest hitter we have ever seen...

Foreman had probably heavier hands than anyone, didn't hit harder than Klitschko or Lewis for example, but he had that kind of power that he would numb you, and puts you out of balance even with arm punches, his jab was a telephone pole... I think that when he was young he had more snap and speed of course, but probably not as heavy handed as when he was old in his comeback... The fact that he was still that much dangerous in his comeback, against bigger and better conditioned heavies, is just as impressive as what he did in the 70s, and a testament to his natural power...

Comment

Originally posted by W. Ledochowski View Post
      The problems i have with Shavers are his competition/ko record and how effective he was in reality... Yes he did clock Holmes hard late in the fight, but still Holmes recovered and ended a one sided affair...

What we have with Shavers are mythological stories from guys who did beat him, not much else, his record is full of bums and cruisers/light-heavies... I'm sure he could crack, he did always put his entire body in every right cross, but never stopped anyone of note, except a green Jimmy Young and a shot Ken Norton, he couldn't even put down zombie Ali hitting him flush on the chin constantly...

As i said about Bowe, he was never much of a puncher, confirmed by people who sparred him, his power was in Holyfield's range, but Evander punched better and sharper, better combos too... Yes he did hurt iron chinned warrior Holyfield, but that was all about accumulation in a war...

Vitali Klitschko hits hard no doubt, but not even close to Wladimir, just look at his kos, Chris Byrd confirmed this also... Wladimir is a phenomenal puncher, probably the hardest hitter we have ever seen...

Foreman had probably heavier hands than anyone, didn't hit harder than Klitschko or Lewis for example, but he had that kind of power that he would numb you, and puts you out of balance even with arm punches, his jab was a telephone pole... I think that when he was young he had more snap and speed of course, but probably not as heavy handed as when he was old in his comeback... The fact that he was still that much dangerous in his comeback, against bigger and better conditioned heavies, is just as impressive as what he did in the 70s, and a testament to his natural power...
      You are using measures that have no accuracy to what you are measuring. It doesn't matter that Shavers did not fight the best competition, it has no bearing on how hard he hit and its not mythological, Ali among others described shavers as the hardest hitter. Im not even saying whether Shavers was that hard a hitter, but the level of his comp is a seperate issue.

I have a strong suspicion you are Elroy...is that you Elroy?

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        You are using measures that have no accuracy to what you are measuring. It doesn't matter that Shavers did not fight the best competition, it has no bearing on how hard he hit and its not mythological, Ali among others described shavers as the hardest hitter. Im not even saying whether Shavers was that hard a hitter, but the level of his comp is a seperate issue.

I'm not understanding how Shavers' competition was so weak. He fought Young (x2), Holmes (x2), Ali, Norton, Ellis, Quarry, Lyle, Bugner, etc.

Maybe not the best ever, but hardly the hobo circuit. On the other hand Wladimir Klitschko never fought one single opponent who will ever make the HOF, unless Fury somehow does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugilist_Spec View Post
          Agree on Bowe, but I think you should put Shavers up there.

Just by watching his fights you can see he has crazy power. Watch his knockdown of Holmes, I don't think I've seen a stronger punch land on another fighter like that.
          Er, the Tyson fight?

No one needs to put Shavers anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

He doesn't post anything like Elroy. His posts make sense for one.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              I'm not understanding how Shavers' competition was so weak. He fought Young (x2), Holmes (x2), Ali, Norton, Ellis, Quarry, Lyle, Bugner, etc.

Maybe not the best ever, but hardly the hobo circuit. On the other hand Wladimir Klitschko never fought one single opponent who will ever make the HOF, unless Fury somehow does.
              I wasn't agreeing about Shavers, I didn't even get that far lol...No Shavers comp was not weak...maybe thats why my antena was raised... Good point regarding Vlad, agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Beyonce Bomber View Post
                He doesn't post anything like Elroy. His posts make sense for one.
                I could be wrong, but some of the assumptions? like Shavers compared to Vlad fighting "weak" competition.

Comment

1. Cleveland Williams/Liston

2. Cleveland Williams/Liston

3. Shavers

4. Foreman

5. Marciano

Comment

I never said that Shavers competition as a whole is weak, just that his ko effectiveness is not that great analyzing who he knocked out, how big and how good they were... Two different things...

Ali said that Shavers hit him the hardest, but funnily enough he couldn't even knock him down once, and that was a zombie Ali getting hit flush like crazy... Frazier did put Ali on his ass with one punch, same for light-heavy Cooper who basically knocked him senseless, something doesn't add up here...

Boxers when describing punchers are usually inconsistent and not much reliable... All the fighters that said Shavers was this inhuman puncher did beat him, except Norton, who also changed his opinion saying Foreman, curious indeed...

Regarding Wladimir and hall of famers, well, many of his oppenents are still fighting or just retired, and being induced in the american-biased Hall of Fame is not a skill also... For example, do you seriously think that a guy like Floyd Patterson would survive against a David Haye, Sam Peter, Chris Byrd, Tyson Fury and such? Let's get real...

Comment

Originally posted by W. Ledochowski View Post
                      I never said that Shavers competition as a whole is weak, just that his ko effectiveness is not that great analyzing who he knocked out, how big and how good they were... Two different things...

Ali said that Shavers hit him the hardest, but funnily enough he couldn't even knock him down once, and that was a zombie Ali getting hit flush like crazy... Frazier did put Ali on his ass with one punch, same for light-heavy Cooper who basically knocked him senseless, something doesn't add up here...

Boxers when describing punchers are usually inconsistent and not much reliable... All the fighters that said Shavers was this inhuman puncher did beat him, except Norton, who also changed his opinion saying Foreman, curious indeed...

Regarding Wladimir and hall of famers, well, many of his oppenents are still fighting or just retired, and being induced in the american-biased Hall of Fame is not a skill also... For example, do you seriously think that a guy like Floyd Patterson would survive against a David Haye, Sam Peter, Chris Byrd, Tyson Fury and such? Let's get real...
                      Leroy, man up will you?

Comment

Working...
                      X