Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Law Experts? Bill Cosby Settle Out OF Court and Still Got Charged?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
    I know that, yes.

But is he guilty or not guilty?

Which court should we use to judge whether he did it or not? One says guilt and one says not guilty. Which one of them has it right?
    I'll preface this by saying I think he did it and is guilty.

We should use the criminal courts decision when assessing his guilt. It was their job to determine whether or not he was factually guilty of the crime.

As far as the civil matter, the Brown family already had established damages. It was that courts job to determine whether or not Mr Simpson was liable for those damages. It's a slightly different scope than proving his guilt or innocence.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
      I'll preface this by saying I think he did it and is guilty.

We should use the criminal courts decision when assessing his guilt. It was their job to determine whether or not he was factually guilty of the crime.

As far as the civil matter, the Brown family already had established damages. It was that courts job to determine whether or not Mr Simpson was liable for those damages. It's a slightly different scope than proving his guilt or innocence.
      liable for those damages?
      What damages? Are you referring to Nicole's and Ron's murders as the damages?

Comment

liable for those damages?
        What damages? Are you referring to Nicole's and Ron's murders as the damages?
        Yes. Emotional distress, pain and suffering, final expenses. All of those are damages which are compensable.

Comment

That OJ one is weird to me. So criminally they couldn't prove that he did it. So he is seen as innocent but civil found him guilty. So how can you take all an innocent man's money from him when you couldn't prove him criminally guilty.

So which one of these courts do you look to as telling the truth? One found him innocent; one found him guilty.
          Good question.

To take someone’s liberty you must prove that he commited a crime “beyond a reasonable doubt”. That’s the highest evidence standard in the America court system.

To sue someone generally preponderance of the evidence. This means more likely than not that something happened. Official California law states “A party must persuade you [the jury], by the evidence presented in court, that what he or she is required to prove is more likely to be true than not true. “

So as you see different standards is why one can be found not guilty ,thus cannot be imprisoned, but still liable for money damages.

Comment

Again, the matters are separate. Her testimony in a criminal case is in no way contingent to any civil proceedings. A settlement doesnt preclude her from testifying. I'm not sure of the particulars, but she may have been suing for much more and quite probably would have been awarded much more. It's different than getting someone to sign a nondisclosure agreement.
            read below.

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            I was wondering that too.

Cuz he's buying her silence basically. So if the police DO COME to see if something criminal happened her job would seemingly be to stfu about what he did cuz he's paid her to do so. Obviously she didn't stfu doe.

Although I'm guessing you can't actually buy someones silence against authorities who come asking questions might be the problem with the civil payoff. Or you can't break a law, withholding info about a crime, no matter what someone has paid you in a civil situation.

But I'd be curious about the specifics legally on how you can pay someone off & still get jail time over evidence you seemingly paid to get shutdown.
            I googled some and found this in one of those ask a lawyer sites.

"The court power to force you to answer a subpoena is superior to your private contract.

Put differently: if you refuse to testify due to an NDA, the court may hold you indefinitely in contempt, in jail, until you decide to speak.

Later, if you're sued for the NDA, you will likely have a duress defense to any damages."

Comment

Originally posted by .!WAR MIKEY! View Post
              read below.

I googled some and found this in one of those ask a lawyer sites.

"The court power to force you to answer a subpoena is superior to your private contract.

Put differently: if you refuse to testify due to an NDA, the court may hold you indefinitely in contempt, in jail, until you decide to speak.

Later, if you're sued for the NDA, you will likely have a duress defense to any damages."
              Yes, and the civil award, or settlement rather, is not an NDA. It was simply Mr Cosby compensating her for the damages done. An NDA is a contract, and if broken a person can be sued for breach of contract. The contract does not supersede a subpoena

Comment

Yes, and the civil award, or settlement rather, is not an NDA. It was simply Mr Cosby compensating her for the damages done. An NDA is a contract, and if broken a person can be sued for breach of contract. The contract does not supersede a subpoena
                settling out of court can be a NDA their was never a civil suit judgement from what i read, they settle out of court, so that can mean 0921834180932r502134th ings

and you can still plead the 5th/. a subpoena jsut means you have to show up.

Comment

settling out of court can be a NDA their was never a civil suit judgement from what i read, they settle out of court, so that can mean 0921834180932r502134th ings

That's true, there could have been an NDA as part of the settlement agreement. And yes, there was never a judgement. The settlement is basically payment for the plaintiff to dismiss the case.

As far as the 5th, that only protects you from incriminating yourself, you can't claim the 5th against someone else

Comment

The nerve of that judgmental man and to think the life he was living behind the scenes.
                    Homie... I’ll slap some sense into you.
                    Our justice system...

I’m paying big taxes to the USA, in a few days...

Keeps them off my old crusty Nuts....

Talk to me when you pay taxes I. Three (3) jurisdictions...

I’m trying to find a guy who thinks he knows domi knolls... study chess... my friends beg me to learn that game..

As crazy as it sounds, real respectable folk, bow down for a fool like me..

Need a list of names? PM me... pull sunturds dong out your mo ****ing moufffff.

How stuuupid are u?

Comment

Dayuuum... dayum.. we used to throw toss ups a few sacs...

They knew and understood quid pro hoe...

‘I pay you to do ultra secret nasty thangs... empty my k nut sac... ‘. Now, we faced with lil
                      Ting hies coming outta the wood works, 3 decades past the statute of limitations...’

**** homies hoes say I make them bouncy too long, etc..

We all gotta get a nut/ shoot kok nectar...

But hoes be remembering things... that prolly never happened.

If it happed to my 5 sister’s.... I’m deaf... never mind... I got this...

Comment

Working...
                      X