No announcement yet.

Canelo Alvarez is an active legend

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
    If Canelo got hit by a bus today he's already a first ballot HOF. He's got one of if not the best resume of any active fighter right now. He's Lineal champ, he's been unified champ in 2 different weight classes if he beats Rocky he's now been world champ in 3 different weight classes. But what really get's him in is the quality of opponent. GGG for example has only beat like 4 or 5 fighters who have ever held a world title at any point in their career. Canelo already has double that and is approaching 15 wins against fighters that have been a world champ. He's also got multiple wins against fighters who are HOFers and multiple wins against fighters who were top 10 p4p ranked at the time he fought them. He's 28 and already a lock first ballot HOFer it's now about climbing up the ladder in alltime greatness.
    Canelo's a fine fighter, no doubt. Just goes to show how far you can go when you ally an excellent fighter with a powerful promoter and have the backing of a major sanctioning org. Would that every fighter had the same opportunities and financial backing that Canelo has. Thing is in this sport resume is at least as much about opportunity as it is about ability.

Comment

Meh, he's alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
        He has some good names on his resume. I don't think he particularly stands out atg wise though. He's never really dominated a division and there is still a lot for him to accomplish. Hes on the way though, just not quite there yet.
        He didn’t stay at 154 long enough to dominate. Had e stayed at 154 as long as G stayed at 160 he would have easily dominated like you wanted. But we’re blessed to see him challenge himself and move up in weight classes.

Comment

Clenelo Alvaroid is a legend of PED cheats

Comment

Originally posted by ralex View Post
            He didn’t stay at 154 long enough to dominate. Had e stayed at 154 as long as G stayed at 160 he would have easily dominated like you wanted. But we’re blessed to see him challenge himself and move up in weight classes.
            I'd rather he say at 160. It's the better division. There's nothing going on at 168 as of right now. 160 has the better talent and there are many guys from 154 that may be moving up very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
              He has some good names on his resume. I don't think he particularly stands out atg wise though. He's never really dominated a division and there is still a lot for him to accomplish. Hes on the way though, just not quite there yet.
              I agree. He hasn’t beat a prime elite fighter yet. Great fighter but he’s not HOF at the moment. He’s close though

Comment

Nelo ain’t even 30 yrs old yet...he hasn’t seen Charlo, Jacobs, or Boo Boo...these fighters are relevant...Nelo gotta see them to keep feathers off his name...when he’s retired, he’ll be a hall of famer!!...I’m quite sure

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                  Canelo's a fine fighter, no doubt. Just goes to show how far you can go when you ally an excellent fighter with a powerful promoter and have the backing of a major sanctioning org. Would that every fighter had the same opportunities and financial backing that Canelo has. Thing is in this sport resume is at least as much about opportunity as it is about ability.
                  Canelo made great decisions and linked up with the right promoter to get him the fights he needed. So yes he got the oppurtunities to show his greatness. But acting like all you need is to be linked with the right promtoer is just dumb. I like people to remember on the eve of Victor Ortiz potentially looking at going to prison it's easy to forget that there was a time when BOTH him and Canelo were on Golden Boy and it was Victor Ortiz NOT Canelo that was their prized possession. It was Victor who was seen the can't miss superstar and having the bigger ceiling and got the bigger push from Golden Boy. Victor was seen and promoted as the NEXT Oscar the next Golden Boy. He got the fights and time after time he lost, losses in humiliating fashion where he self destructed. And still got multiple more chances and set up continually for more fights and just kept failing. So yes being with the right team get's your foot in the door but it's up to you to shine and take care of business in the ring when you get there. Canelo did and many fighters got oppurtinites and couldn't. You can't do what Canelo has done and not be great and you can't reach the heights Canelo has reached without getting the right fights you need both.

Comment

He's grown into quite the formidable fighter. By the end of his career I can definitely see him being more than just a HOFer.

Comment

I don't know exactly what makes up a first ballot hall of famer in boxing. The threshold may be less than in other sports. He is a hall of famer without a doubt right now. I do not consider him an ATG at this point.

More work to be done but he's got time.

Comment

Working...
                      X