Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were an aspiring boxer, would you prefer a trainer who...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learn the skills. A trainer may have a great strategy but he can't fight for you. I need to be crafted from the womb with all the tips and tricks of a high level fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      Yea, I've thought about that before. Not just with Angulo, but Khan vs Canelo. Watch what Khan does w/ Alexander and you'll see a lot of Hunter's influence. And, even though I hated how Khan fought vs Algeri, you still see a guy using his strengths and protecting his weaknesses. Smart, strategic coaching. But, there's a definite limit. Khan was able to use a great strategy with the lateral footwork and timing against Canelo. You could hear Hunter calling it out to him. But, there comes a point at which the hill is too steep to climb and even the greatest of coaches is not going to be able to save the guy from what was a real mismatch.

Andy Lee vs Chavez Jr. Lee is down so Manny was demanding Lee stay out of the corner and box with him. Lee starts turning the fight around! Then, what does he do? Plants himself in the corner and gets obliterated.
      No matter how good the coach, fighters have their limitations. Personally, I'm fascinated with cerebral coaches and in the gym, I'd always pick the brains of anyone who had a spare minute to talk technique.

Regarding the other, plenty of ups and down this month but ending it on a high note so that's a positive. Thx.
      I can't lie, I find it all fascinating myself. I also agree with the statement about cerebral coaches. I like cerebral characters in general. We don't really have any legit boxing gyms in my city though, so I that sucks.

By the by, with regard to the bolded part, if you ever feel the need to exhale about some ****, shoot me a PM or something. Maybe the perspective of a stranger from the internet could help, who knows?

Comment

That's a great question.

I think just a cat who can train you well gets you far. I mean look at boxing now? How many great Robert Greene book reading cats are out there? Not a lot it seems like to me. Plus I'm a fan of strategic sh^t myself so I think I could do well enough on my own in that regard to compete with most guys once my super trainer, but not so great cornerman guy got me going on all cylinders.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Yea, I've thought about that before. Not just with Angulo, but Khan vs Canelo. Watch what Khan does w/ Alexander and you'll see a lot of Hunter's influence. And, even though I hated how Khan fought vs Algeri, you still see a guy using his strengths and protecting his weaknesses. Smart, strategic coaching. But, there's a definite limit. Khan was able to use a great strategy with the lateral footwork and timing against Canelo. You could hear Hunter calling it out to him. But, there comes a point at which the hill is too steep to climb and even the greatest of coaches is not going to be able to save the guy from what was a real mismatch.

Andy Lee vs Chavez Jr. Lee is down so Manny was demanding Lee stay out of the corner and box with him. Lee starts turning the fight around! Then, what does he do? Plants himself in the corner and gets obliterated.
          No matter how good the coach, fighters have their limitations. Personally, I'm fascinated with cerebral coaches and in the gym, I'd always pick the brains of anyone who had a spare minute to talk technique.

Regarding the other, plenty of ups and down this month but ending it on a high note so that's a positive. Thx.
          Having khan box the way hunter has is not having him fight to his strengths. Khan is not a cerebral fighter and he has abysmal defense, khan would never have beaten the likes of maidana playing it careful just looking to not get ko'd and clinch, he would have gotten his ass kicked and stopped. Roach had him fighting to his strengths, using his offense as his defense and having him turning guys, speed makes a lotvof guys gunshy, not to mention that khan needs that respect early. Using his conditioning and gifts, these are his talents, not being andre ward.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            That's a great question.

I think just a cat who can train you well gets you far. I mean look at boxing now? How many great Robert Greene book reading cats are out there? Not a lot it seems like to me. Plus I'm a fan of strategic sh^t myself so I think I could do well enough on my own in that regard to compete with most guys once my super trainer, but not so great cornerman guy got me going on all cylinders.
            If a trainer really does suck at strategies though, how long can that relationship last when you know he's a fukin idjiot and how do you respond to him trying to instill in you dumb moves and insisting on doing dumb stuff? I couldnt give a sht about super techniques that is impractical for the guy i'll be facing.

Personally would rather a smarter trainer who can properly analyse which in turn will be teaching me useful moves for the specific opponent, eventually i'll learn when he says jab he means right hand and when he says right hand he means a left hook.
            Last edited by SplitSecond; 06-01-2017, 11:04 AM.

Comment

A boxer with excellent boxing skills and conditioning and little to no strategy can go very far, the best strategist the world has ever seen who doesn't have good fundamentals will forever be a gym fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                If a trainer really does suck at strategies though, how long can that relationship last when you know he's a fukin idjiot and how do you respond to him trying to instill in you dumb moves and insisting on doing dumb stuff? I couldnt give a sht about super techniques that is impractical for the guy i'll be facing.

Personally would rather a smarter trainer who can properly analyse which in turn will be teaching me useful moves for the specific opponent, eventually i'll learn when he says jab he means right hand and when he says right hand he means a left hook.
                I'd just tell him to shut up lol. We winning. Shut up & lets get paid.

You'd have a guy telling you gotta watch out for the jab when he meant hook & you end up KTFO & then be all like we'll do better next time lmfao. Plus you'd be throwing sh^tty punches or making less then optimal movements cuz he can't teach it to you.

I think you win more fights on being skilled than because of strategy. I think strategy doesn't really get used til you're at the tip top of your division & maybe you don't even get to the tip top of your division without top level skill.

I mean just name me some elite level guys with subpar to poor skill, but great strategy? There might be a HW out there, but HW is a whole other sport almost cuz of how much power comes into play there so I think you can get by with lesser skill & strategy there. Meanwhile damn near every elite level Cuban doesn't really seem to know what winning a round means or what the narrative of the fight is saying yet those mfers can barely lose a fight cuz they are so highly skilled.

Comment

Working...
                X