Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Weight Classifications and Rules in Boxing - What Do You Guys Think?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Weight Classifications and Rules in Boxing - What Do You Guys Think?

It's time to tweak the Boxing Weight Classes and some Rules.

NEW WEIGHT CLASSIFICATIONS

Minimumweight and Cruiserweight eliminated.

Light Flyweight: 110 lbs

Flyweight: 115 lbs

Super Flyweight: 120 lbs

Bantamweight: 125 lbs

Super Bantamweight: 130 lbs

Featherweight: 135 lbs

Super Feathweight: 140 lbs

Lightweight: 145 lbs

Super Lightweight: 150 lbs

Welterweight: 155 lbs

Super Welterweight: 165 lbs

Middleweight: 175 lbs

Super Middleweight: 185 lbs

Light Heavyweght: 210 lbs

Heavyweight: 210+ lbs

NEW RULES IN BOXING:

Regular and Interim World Titles are elimated.

A World Champion Belt Holder must make THREE World Title defences during a 12 Month Calander Year including one defence against the Mandatory Number 1 and one defence against a Top 10 Opponent.

If a World Champion does not fulfill his Three defences a Year, they will be stripped of their World Title unless they provide Medical records/Written Notifcation of any Injuries or Family Bereavements that prevent them from fulfilling their required number of defences per year.

WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO will Remain but every TWO years, all World Champion Belt Holders must face each other to create an UNDISPUTED CHAMPION in their Weight Class.

Once an Undisputed Champion is Crowned, all Belts become vacant.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Boxnation fan; 02-04-2018, 09:33 PM.

Anything that reduces the number of divisions would be a good thing. A million ways to do it. Personally I prefer boxing straight hijacking the MMA weight classes.

As for the rest of it if we fantasizing why don't we just make one champ in every division vs the maze of title holders we have now? So I'd keep sh^t simple and go that route.

I don't care how many times a guy fights as long as he fights a legit #1 contender at least once a year or maybe 18mos.

But I wouldn't be against a WBSS-like tournament every 3-4
    yrs (spread out among all divisions so we can do 4 divisions a year or something like that) just to keep things interesting among the legit top guys in a division.

Comment

I don't like it much. Middleweight is now what light heavyweight has been for 100 years. Light heavyweight is now 210 pounds. Hell, Foreman, Tyson and Liston could all be light heavyweights if they only had to weigh 210 the afternoon before the fight. You added 35 pounds to a classic traditional weight class. A guy that just gets under 210 and comes in the ring weighing 225 is a heavyweight, not a light heavyweight. There is no even pattern to your weight increases. You have 9 small jumps of 5 pounds each, then two jumps of 10 pounds and then a huge jump of 25 pounds. I like the rule eliminating regular and interim titles. I like the rules about defending against the number 1 contender once a year and a top 10 contender in all title defenses. A champion who fights his top contender ever year and another top 10 contender in the same year would be good enough. Most champions only fight less than twice a year and rarely against the number 1 guy or even a number 10 contender so those rules would be a big improvement. A mandatory 3 title defenses each year against only top 10 guys would be great but probably unrealistic. Your rules for champions are great and would be a huge improvement. Let's face it. The powers in charge of boxing won't make any changes for the better. They only change things for the worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Anything that reduces the number of divisions would be a good thing. A million ways to do it. Personally I prefer boxing straight hijacking the MMA weight classes.

As for the rest of it if we fantasizing why don't we just make one champ in every division vs the maze of title holders we have now? So I'd keep sh^t simple and go that route.

I don't care how many times a guy fights as long as he fights a legit #1 contender at least once a year or maybe 18mos.

But I wouldn't be against a WBSS-like tournament every 3-4
        yrs (spread out among all divisions so we can do 4 divisions a year or something like that) just to keep things interesting among the legit top guys in a division.
        Boxing having 4 World Title Belts is actually a good thing for helping boxing grow around the world.

Broadcasters want to be able to sell their program with a WORLD TITLE FIGHT and if you had 15 Weight Divisions x 4 World Title Belts and at least 2 Defences a Year, that alone could produce 120 World Title Fights a year.

Every two years, i would have a unification tournament where all the belt holders have to fight each other to produce ONE UNDISPUTED CHAMPION so at least we do get to know who the best is in each division.
        Last edited by Boxnation fan; 02-04-2018, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
          I don't like it much. Middleweight is now what light heavyweight has been for 100 years. Light heavyweight is now 210 pounds. Hell, Foreman, Tyson and Liston could all be light heavyweights if they only had to weigh 210 the afternoon before the fight. You added 35 pounds to a classic traditional weight class. A guy that just gets under 210 and comes in the ring weighing 225 is a heavyweight, not a light heavyweight. There is no even pattern to your weight increases. You have 9 small jumps of 5 pounds each, then two jumps of 10 pounds and then a huge jump of 25 pounds. I like the rule eliminating regular and interim titles. I like the rules about defending against the number 1 contender once a year and a top 10 contender in all title defenses. A champion who fights his top contender ever year and another top 10 contender in the same year would be good enough. Most champions only fight less than twice a year and rarely against the number 1 guy or even a number 10 contender so those rules would be a big improvement. A mandatory 3 title defenses each year against only top 10 guys would be great but probably unrealistic. Your rules for champions are great and would be a huge improvement. Let's face it. The powers in charge of boxing won't make any changes for the better. They only change things for the worse.
          The difference is that Men have grown bigger and stronger then they were 50 years ago and most of the present weight classifications are from over 100 years ago when men were much smaller.

The reason the Weights suddenly jump from 5lbs to 10lbs after Welterweight is because Men over 155lbs would have a bigger body mass and be able to jump up that extra 5 lbs if needed.

For instance, GGG is a 160lb fighter but could easily make 165lbs which would make him a Super Welterweight.

Any Current Super Middleweight could either lose 3lbs and make 165lbs or gain 7 lbs and fight at 175lbs.

There's lots of Small blown up Heavyweights would could fight at a natural weight of 210 lbs Light Heavyweight division rather then the current Cruiseweight limit of 200lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxnation fan View Post
            Boxing having 4 World Title Belts is actually a good thing for helping boxing grow around the world.

Broadcasters want to be able to sell their program with a WORLD TITLE FIGHT and if you had 15 Weight Divisions x 4 World Title Belts and at least 2 Defences a Year, that alone could produce 120 World Title Fights a year.
            Thats what the marketing says. Why not make even more champions then? Lets have 12 champs per division. F#ck it lets make sure every country has a champion. It'd be kinda like the 9th place trophy sh^t for kids today of boxing.

I call bs. I think it hurts the historical integrity of the sport since this whole era is devoid of one guy who's seen as the champion in most divisions.

Comment

It was a long time ago but I read an article that broke down scientifically why the weight classes were the way they were.

It basically boiled down to body ratio to weight or bmi or something like that, and the weight classes weren't just made up alot of science etc went behind it.

Comment

It's time to tweak the Boxing Weight Classes and some Rules.

NEW WEIGHT CLASSIFICATIONS

Minimumweight and Cruiserweight eliminated.

Light Flyweight: 110 lbs

Flyweight: 115 lbs

Super Flyweight: 120 lbs

Bantamweight: 125 lbs

Super Bantamweight: 130 lbs

Featherweight: 135 lbs

Super Feathweight: 140 lbs

Lightweight: 145 lbs

Super Lightweight: 150 lbs

Welterweight: 155 lbs

Super Welterweight: 165 lbs

Middleweight: 175 lbs

Super Middleweight: 185 lbs

Light Heavyweght: 210 lbs

Heavyweight: 210+ lbs

NEW RULES IN BOXING:

Regular and Interim World Titles are elimated.

A World Champion Belt Holder must make THREE World Title defences during a 12 Month Calander Year including one defence against the Mandatory Number 1 and one defence against a Top 10 Opponent.

If a World Champion does not fulfill his Three defences a Year, they will be stripped of their World Title unless they provide Medical records/Written Notifcation of any Injuries or Family Bereavements that prevent them from fulfilling their required number of defences per year.

WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO will Remain but every TWO years, all World Champion Belt Holders must face each other to create an UNDISPUTED CHAMPION in their Weight Class.

Once an Undisputed Champion is Crowned, all Belts become vacant.

What do you guys think?
                I love the tournament. All in favor of this. The fighters who make excuses or choose not to unify will be stripped of their belts. It's time to make the best fight the best or get out of the way.

With the divisions, there are too many. I'd rather have this:

Heavyweight: 201 and up
                Cruiserweight: 176-200
                Light Heavyweight: 161-175
                Middleweight: 148-160
                Welterweight: 136-147
                Lightweight: 127-135
                Featherweight: 119-126
                Bantamweight: 113-118
                Flyweight: 112 and below

Elimination of the extra weight divisions will increase the competition in each division, giving us better fighters and better fights. There have been too many hype jobs because the said fighter is in a weak division and running it but at the same time, with fewer divisions, the fighter would be given a real test much more quickly, showing us what he's really made of outside of a highlight reel with him blowing through weak opposition. It looks good, but it doesn't mean much when that fighter faces a real opponent and gets picked apart.

I'm all for changes in the game, including returning to same day weigh-ins, open scoring and 15 rounders coming back, at least for the finals in the tournaments. Gotta give the most important fights another selling point, along with modern fighters proving themselves able to go 15 like the fighters of old. Would probably only happen on PPV though as time constricts things on TV.

Comment

The difference is that Men have grown bigger and stronger then they were 50 years ago and most of the present weight classifications are from over 100 years ago when men were much smaller.

The reason the Weights suddenly jump from 5lbs to 10lbs after Welterweight is because Men over 155lbs would have a bigger body mass and be able to jump up that extra 5 lbs if needed.

For instance, GGG is a 160lb fighter but could easily make 165lbs which would make him a Super Welterweight.

Any Current Super Middleweight could either lose 3lbs and make 165lbs or gain 7 lbs and fight at 175lbs.

There's lots of Small blown up Heavyweights would could fight at a natural weight of 210 lbs Light Heavyweight division rather then the current Cruiseweight limit of 200lbs.
                  I don't think humans have changed that much in size. Giant heavyweights have always been around and seldom have they been the best. Wilder is certainly big enough and he weighs in at 227 fully hydrated and fed. He could no doubt make 210 pounds and fight in your new 210 pound light heavyweight division. Any boxer who can't make today's 200 pound cruiserweight limit 30 hours before the fight is plenty big enough to fight as a heavyweight in my opinion. Many of today's heavyweights weigh so much because they are very fat. Look how big Wilder is but he is lean. I don't believe today's giants could beat some of the best normal sized heavyweights of the past. Bigger isn't always better when they reach a certain size. These giants are often slower, lack stamina and can't take a punch. Most cruiserweight champs go to heavyweight anyway so a champion of a 210 weight class will go to heavyweight for sure. Make your weight jumps increase gradually like 5 pounds and then 6 pounds and then 7 pounds and so on. Don't make these little 5 pound jumps and then suddenly 2 jumps of 10 pounds and then a big jump of 25 pounds. A champion of a 210 pound weight class will always try his luck at heavyweight because that is where the big money and prestige is at.

Comment

You could just get rid of most the lower weight classes and make LHW 180

Comment

Working...
                    X