No announcement yet.

Terry Norris thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry Norris thread

This is one of my fav fighters. Hands up those who love Terry Norris! Hands up those who think he was the best junior middleweight ever! He was simply amazing. Thats the right word to describe Terry Norris. He had it all. He had speed, he had talent, he had that left hook, he had movement, he had class.

So what went wrong in the end? When did he begin to slip, can somebody tell me?

I dont care what people say about Norris to me he will always be great fighter to me, he was just awesome to watch and in Threadstealers own words " ive never seen a fighter take so much pride in beating people up" he loved a fight and is easily one of the most exciting fighters of the 90's, his chin made him even more exciting oddly enough.

My own opinion is i think accumulation of punishment he had taken caught up with Norris in the end, he was a Boxer yes, but he was also a gunslinger at heart and he took some lumps in the fights he won because he wanted to have a tear up so much, plus getting knocked out a couple of times must of taken something from him physically. I put his inconsistency or lack of focus which ever you wanna call it, down to not getting the fights he wanted and being under motivated. I mean lets be honest if Norris never hit Santana Illegally he would never have won any of those fights.

He should of retired after the Mullings loss because he was done after that KO, he was supposed to be on coarse Dela Hoya apparently but the Mullings fight derailed things, he went on to fight Rosenblatt, Boudouani and he just looked aweful

You know even if you dont like Norris you gotta admire the excitement level he brought to a fight, he would either KO his man, go down or get knocked out but he would always show heart, aggression, skill, power.

I know Norris did not have a good chin and its not that i cant accept it because im a Norris fan, but some people go way over the top when they speak of his chin, its that kind of overreaction that makes me disagree with people, not because im a nuthugger, but if you have seen as many Norris fights as i have you would know Norris took his lumps sucked it up and came back majority of the time, he had stood and traded many times and shown no signs of being hurt and the people that knocked him out or hurt him were! good punchers or huge punchers (Jackson)

Junior Jones, Amir Khan are the epitome of a glass chin, they could never step inside and bang it out. If Norris had a glass jaw, they are packin super glass or some ****.
    Last edited by Dynamite Kid; 09-14-2009, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
      I dont care what people say about Norris to me he will always be great fighter to me, he was just awesome to watch and in Threadstealers own words " ive never seen a fighter take so much pride in beating people up" he loved a fight and is easily one of the most exciting fighters of the 90's, his chin made him even more exciting oddly enough.

My own opinion is i think accumulation of punishment he had taken caught up with Norris in the end, he was a Boxer yes, but he was also a gunslinger at heart and he took some lumps in the fights he won because he wanted to have a tear up so much, plus getting knocked out a couple of times must of taken something from him physically. I put his inconsistency or lack of focus which ever you wanna call it, down to not getting the fights he wanted and being under motivated. I mean lets be honest if Norris never hit Santana Illegally he would never have won any of those fights.

He should of retired after the Mullings loss because he was done after that KO, he was supposed to be on coarse Dela Hoya apparently but the Mullings fight derailed things, he went on to fight Rosenblatt, Boudouani and he just looked aweful

You know even if you dont like Norris you gotta admire the excitement level he brought to a fight, he would either KO his man, go down or get knocked out but he would always show heart, aggression, skill, power.

I know Norris did not have a good chin and its not that i cant accept it because im a Norris fan, but some people go way over the top when they speak of his chin, its that kind of overreaction that makes me disagree with people, not because im a nuthugger, but if you have seen as many Norris fights as i have you would know Norris took his lumps sucked it up and came back majority of the time, he had stood and traded many times and shown no signs of being hurt and the people that knocked him out or hurt him were! good punchers or huge punchers (Jackson)
      Amen! Well put.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post

Junior Jones, Amir Khan are the epitome of a glass chin, they could never step inside and bang it out. If Norris had a glass jaw, they are packin super glass or some ****.
        He didn't have a totally glass jaw just unfortunately he needed a better chin than he had for the style of fighter he was would probably be fairer.
        I always link him with Saad in my mind from the point of view you always get your money's worth and whilst you can't have 100% confidence he'll win you can have 100% confidence you'll see a good fight.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
          He didn't have a totally glass jaw just unfortunately he needed a better chin than he had for the style of fighter he was would probably be fairer.
          I always link him with Saad in my mind from the point of view you always get your money's worth and whilst you can't have 100% confidence he'll win you can have 100% confidence you'll see a good fight.
          Cant argue with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
            Amen! Well put.
            Thought you might enjoy this.

Comment

Terrific offensive fighter, and arguably the best 154 lber ever. His chin was pretty poor, but as Dynamite pointed out, the people that knocked him out were all good punchers. He was pretty chinny, but it gets exaggerated.

If he had had absolutely no chin whatsoever, he wouldn't have made it past the level of a fringe contender or even journeyman level, you have to be able to take a decent punch to get to the top. So even the guys at the top who look like they can't really take shots compared to most of their contemporaries, they can still take a much better shot than the average fighter.

Comment

When you get wobbled in almost all of your fights you dont have the greatest chin. Nevertheless he was one of the top fighters of his time. His offensive skills were a thing of beauty. The only thing in my book that stops him from being an all time great is that he never beat another great in their prime. Man, I would of loved to see him fight James Toney when he was a middleweight. That might of done it for Norris.

Comment

Amazing offensive fighter, his chin was weak but man his combos were beautyfull, He truly lived up to his nick name terrible. If he had a better chin man..he would of been an ATG no doubt. I remmember way back he was suppose to fight Tito, at 154, but he backed out I really wanted to see that fight, then Tito ended up fighting some other dude forgot his name but it was at 154. But again Norris was 1 nasty offensive SOB.

Comment

great fighter and very fast and skilled but i would not go as far as saying he was the best 154lb fighter ever..Thomas Hearns would be my No1 154lber

Comment

Working...
                    X