Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys like Ward's style?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little bit. When I saw him beat Kessler his style looked great to me and was something different, but time went on and he had some stinkers. I like that he's physical but at the same time he clinches a lot. He has some power but if he was a physical guy with great power he'd be more exciting

Comment

He is very talented, no doubt. But, No I don't particular style (and I live in Oakland, lol).

Although I must say that he has an excuse - he has no power. And I don't think theres anything he can do about it, like sit on his punches more. Ive seen him land many flush punches on opponents and NOBODY has ever gone down.

Its actually impressive that he beats opponents so easily (except for Kova, who I had winning) even though they don't need to respect his power. That's part of the reason he likes to smother guys so much - it neutralizes the power advantage.

He isn't the most boring boxer to watch. The Kova fight was good, as Kova was good enough to not allow himself to be smothered inside. However, against those with less boxing skills, Ward can make pretty boring, ugly fights.

It also seems that Ward doesn't care if his fights are boring or ugly - he just wants to win. That's fine, but he has to realize that boxing is still an entertainment business, and part of the reason he isn't popular is because he fights ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by hrt3333 View Post
        A little bit. When I saw him beat Kessler his style looked great to me and was something different, but time went on and he had some stinkers. I like that he's physical but at the same time he clinches a lot. He has some power but if he was a physical guy with great power he'd be more exciting
        diving in headfirst and clinching was something great and different? you ever watched ruiz or henry awkindade fights?

Comment

Comment

hes a bum coward around here who only beat past prime opponents 5 years ago and paid the refs to give him kovs belts

Comment

Originally posted by SensFullViolenc View Post
              He is very talented, no doubt. But, No I don't particular style (and I live in Oakland, lol).

Although I must say that he has an excuse - he has no power. And I don't think theres anything he can do about it, like sit on his punches more. Ive seen him land many flush punches on opponents and NOBODY has ever gone down.

Its actually impressive that he beats opponents so easily (except for Kova, who I had winning) even though they don't need to respect his power. That's part of the reason he likes to smother guys so much - it neutralizes the power advantage.

He isn't the most boring boxer to watch. The Kova fight was good, as Kova was good enough to not allow himself to be smothered inside. However, against those with less boxing skills, Ward can make pretty boring, ugly fights.

It also seems that Ward doesn't care if his fights are boring or ugly - he just wants to win. That's fine, but he has to realize that boxing is still an entertainment business, and part of the reason he isn't popular is because he fights ugly.
              because he has no power he should be allowed to cheat nonstop? thats pretty lame. thats why hes not a great fighter. without illegal moves and incompetent reffing would he really be able to compete? dont think so. thats why its so strange people call him a great boxer/technician. hes like the opposite of that. a guy who isnt a great boxer or technician so he has to do these illegal moves just to compete.

Comment

Watching Ward fight is like watching an NFL football game where the end score is 7-5.

No thanks

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  diving in headfirst and clinching was something great and different? you ever watched ruiz or henry awkindade fights?

hahah he does do that and did it a lot i admit but he came in as an underdog and completely took it to Kessler and dismantled him. I was expecting something similar to Calzaghe-Kessler. I've seen a few of their fights just because they were fighting guys I actually liked. I wouldn't say Ward's that boring

Comment

Originally posted by hrt3333 View Post
                    hahah he does do that and did it a lot i admit but he came in as an underdog and completely took it to Kessler and dismantled him. I was expecting something similar to Calzaghe-Kessler. I've seen a few of their fights just because they were fighting guys I actually liked. I wouldn't say Ward's that boring
                    if you are the underdog its ok if you headbutt your opponent over and over and clinch almost 100 times? i find it strange when someone is cheating right in front of your eyes and some people dont notice. maybe they just dont care is more accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                      because he has no power he should be allowed to cheat nonstop? thats pretty lame. thats why hes not a great fighter. without illegal moves and incompetent reffing would he really be able to compete? dont think so. thats why its so strange people call him a great boxer/technician. hes like the opposite of that. a guy who isnt a great boxer or technician so he has to do these illegal moves just to compete.
                      Its hard to ref those moves.

When he punches & dives in with his head, was that intentional? To his credit, I haven't seen the accidental/intentional butting a lot since Kessler, where it was out of hand.

The clinching is hard too. A lot of boxers clinch -- he's just really good at it and does it more.

I do wish refs would be more active in preventing clinches -- and taking points where necessary.

Comment

Working...
                      X