No announcement yet.

Prime for Prime: Roberto Duran vs Pernell Whitaker at 135

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime for Prime: Roberto Duran vs Pernell Whitaker at 135

Probably one of the hardest picks to call.......
    Pernell Whitaker
    36.67%
    Roberto Duran
    63.33%

The poll is expired.

Duran overwhelms him. Whitaker didn't have the power to keep Duran off of him. He'd slip some punches and delivery some counters, but Duran would be too much for him at any weight.

Comment

Sweet pea lights him up all day.

Comment

Pea all day.....he'd frustrate and clown him.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          Duran overwhelms him. Whitaker didn't have the power to keep Duran off of him. He'd slip some punches and delivery some counters, but Duran would be too much for him at any weight.
          It's funny when I read things like "Whitaker didn't have the power to keep him off of him".Yet nobody at 135 was walking through Whitaker to get to him. Duran may or may not have won but this notion that Whitaker didn't have enough power to keep opponents off of him is nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
            It's funny when I read things like "Whitaker didn't have the power to keep him off of him".Yet nobody at 135 was walking through Whitaker to get to him. Duran may or may not have won but this notion that Whitaker didn't have enough power to keep opponents off of him is nonsense.
            No one fought Whitaker from a safe distance. Whitaker's success was due to his superior defensive skills. He was a rare fighter who could make you miss while standing right in front of him. No running or clinching, just slipping, bobbing, weaving. But he never really had much torque on his punches. He couldn't keep Buddy McGirt off of him (and some feel Buddy won their first fight), no way he keeps a prime 135 Duran off of him. Duran was a lot faster than most give him credit, and had underrated defensive skills as well.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              When you are clouded by bias and hate towards certain fighters, they come up with his bull****

Comment

Sweet Pea would dance, box and move,bob and weave, go in and out and Duran would quit after the 8th round.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  Sweet Pea would dance, box and move,bob and weave, go in and out and Duran would quit after the 8th round.

135 lb duran quits against pernell whitaker

i've heard it all [from people who almost certainly haven't seen more than 5 duran fights against people not named ray leonard.]

i give whitaker the benefit of the doubt in saying that he'd go 12 or 15 rounds. he had a great chin and a style that would finish the fight. but he would not do enough offensively to win.

Comment

An 8-Ball wins by TKO

Comment

Working...
                    X