Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All us Boxing fans agree Mayweather vs McGregor is pure crap, right?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All boxing fans agree. Heck, most MMA fans agree. Basically anyone who follows, or has ever seen boxing agrees. This match up is a farce. Having said that, it would do huge numbers - and I would be one of them. Just like I watch the James Toney/Randy Couture fight, knowing full well it would be a first round finish for Couture. It still is entertainment.

The way I see it, MMA fans are loyal to McGregor to a fault. He seemingly can do no wrong. Lose? No problem. Walk away from the sport and get into a big twitter feud with Dana White? Makes him more relatable. So if he can bring 1m+ fans in, many of whom might not be boxing fans, it could be a great opportunity for a nice stacked undercard to excite the fans, and for casuals to appreciate the more nuanced nature of boxing as they see their golden boy picked apart.

As blatantly outmatched as this is for a PPV headline event, it does come with a massive potential upside for the industry as a whole. It's not a stretch to say that in the USA at least, MMA has upended boxing as the combat sport of choice for many viewers...an event like this might actually bring back a few casuals who moved on. Of course keeping them through months of drought like conditions in terms of booking big bouts might drive them away again, but at least in the immediate future, there is some potential good to come from the fight - even if the fight itself won't be one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      hatton, guerrero, maidana, berto didnt evn hit a million buys. thats why i listed them under the not ppv stars category for floyd. we were comparing how floyd and conor did against guys who werent stars. conor did better.

the guys that were stars were: cotto had a million buys vs pac, mosley a million against hoya, hoya obv a lot of successfull ppvs, pac obv a lot of successful ppvs. all these were ppv successes for floyd hmmm i wonder why?

now lets look at conors opponents: aldo had a 200k ppv and yet did over a million buys, diaz 0 ppvs and 1.5 millino and 1.6 milion buys, alvarez 0 ppvs and did 1.6 million. all these were ppv successes for conor and yet none were ppv stars like floyd's opponents which proves conor can sell more on his own then floyd.
      Weird, I see a lot of DLH fights that didn't do 1 mil. Vargas, Mosley I & Mosley II(contrary to you stating it did), Camacho, Mayorga, Camacho & Sweet Pea.. In fact, his fights with Floyd, Manny and BHop and Tito are the only ones I'm seeing that did over 1 mil. Unless I'm missing something

I'm looking for the 1 mil buys with Cotto when he went against Margarito, Martinez or even Canelo. Having trouble here.

I'm looking for Canelo's 1 mil buys vs Smith, Angulo, Lara(was this even ppv). Maybe you got inside #s that don't come up on web searches. I honestly don't know.

Good for Conor, I guess we can say he's bigger than Floyd, Tyson, DLH and Manny Pacquiao considering how much you're touting his ppv buys in today's age. Correct?

Comment

Originally posted by larry x.. View Post
        He cant list them because they dont exist
        I'm sure he has sources that haven't shown since ppv buys started because he seems to know something the rest of the world doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
          Weird, I see a lot of DLH fights that didn't do 1 mil. Vargas, Mosley I & Mosley II(contrary to you stating it did), Camacho, Mayorga, Camacho & Sweet Pea.. In fact, his fights with Floyd, Manny and BHop and Tito are the only ones I'm seeing that did over 1 mil. Unless I'm missing something

I'm looking for the 1 mil buys with Cotto when he went against Margarito, Martinez or even Canelo. Having trouble here.

I'm looking for Canelo's 1 mil buys vs Smith, Angulo, Lara(was this even ppv). Maybe you got inside #s that don't come up on web searches. I honestly don't know.

Good for Conor, I guess we can say he's bigger than Floyd, Tyson, DLH and Manny Pacquiao considering how much you're touting his ppv buys in today's age. Correct?
          my quote was "most those guys floyd fought already had ppv buys of 1 million buys or more."
          oscar, pac, cotto all had ppvs that had done more than 1 million. mosley hd 950 which i rounded up(im sorry). i never said "most their ppvs did 1 million ppv buys." im not sure why you are creating that straw man. the point was these guys had been in highly successfull ppvs already before fighting floyd and conor's opponents had not. your contention is that their popularity didn't affect floyd's ppv numbers at all?

now lets once again look at the popularity of conor's opponents. aldo had a couple ppvs with about 200k buys, diaz zero ppvs, alvarez zero ppvs, yet conor still averaged 1.5 million buys. floyd could only hit 1 million buys with ortiz when he didn't fight other ppv stars. so my contention backed by the data is that floyd needs other stars to make big numbers and conor doesn't.
          Last edited by daggum; 01-17-2017, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
            I'm sure he has sources that haven't shown since ppv buys started because he seems to know something the rest of the world doesn't
            adding on to a previous straw man you created doesn't make things better. it only makes larry more confused and lost.

Comment

my quote was "most those guys floyd fought already had ppv buys of 1 million buys or more."
              oscar, pac, cotto all had ppvs that had done more than 1 million. mosley hd 950 which i rounded up(im sorry). i never said "most their ppvs did 1 million ppv buys." im not sure why you are creating that straw man. the point was these guys had been in highly successfull ppvs already before fighting floyd and conor's opponents had not. your contention is that their popularity didn't affect floyd's ppv numbers at all?

now lets once again look at the popularity of conor's opponents. aldo had a couple ppvs with about 200k buys, diaz zero ppvs, alvarez zero ppvs, yet conor still averaged 1.5 million buys. floyd could only hit 1 million buys with ortiz when he didn't fight other ppv stars. so my contention backed by the data is that floyd needs other stars to make big numbers and conor doesn't.
              Oscar and Manny did. Mosley did not, JMM did not(unless you wanna somehow put him in there with Manny in fights 3 & 4, Cotto certainly did not until he fought Floyd & Manny) I know you want to claim they had 1 mil buys, but for whatever reason, you're lying. I am asking for ppvs where Floyd, Manny or Oscar weren't involved.

Please list Cotto vs Martinez or Margarito. Or Canelo vs Smith, Angulo and Lara(I still don't remember if this was ppv.) or how about Shane Mosley(because even with Oscar, he didn't crack 1 mil.)

You are dancing around an argument you created that you can not back up. Why?

Floyd w/out Manny, Oscar and Canelo has been around, right at or over 1 mil buys. Ortiz, Mosley, JMM, Hatton(fell short of 1 mil), Guerrero, Maidana x2.. All these guys minus Mosley & JMM had any ppv experience, yet Floyd managed those #s

I guess even with you knowing this, you still think what Conor is doing is something that's bigger and better than what any boxer has done in the ppv history. If that's how you truly feel, then my brother, good for you

Comment

I'd enjoy watching a featherfisted chicken knock out UFC's Golden Boy in a couple of rounds. Plus it would be a huge event and I dig the vibe surrounding fights that the entire country is anticipating.

Comment

im not talking about at the same time. that was bulls-hit. im talking being lineal champ in 2 divisions ever. only 3 people in ufc history have done that.
                  Yeah because there's only 1 belt so unless somebody retires with the belt every new champion will be a lineal champion. Only 3 people have ever done it that's because most ufc fighters contracts don't last long enough or they don't give them the chances to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by deuce_drop View Post
                    we all agree this match up is a complete joke and a fleece on combat sport fans money, right?

millions of dollars being thrown around for a glamorized sparring match.

of all the matches mayweather could come back to, to earn his 50-0 record, there is the potential he comes back to get that win vs guy making his pro debut in boxing?

there should be out right destain for this fight and a boycott if you ask me. all this does in my opinion, cheapen boxing as a whole.

my question, who supports this crap and intends on buying it if it does happen? and why?

and who is against it, and why? I am curious on both ends.
                    ''McGregor, DUDE!''

Comment

Id watch it, it will be interesting for a minute until Connor gasses from trying to KO Floyd which could happen lets be honest. Floyd is 40 years old and two years out from fighting. Smart money says Floyd takes a shot or two until adjusting to Connor's in and out and probably makes him quit on his stool somewhere around the 8-9 round from exhaustion. Its funny the people that think Floyd is gonna KO Connor though, its possible I suppose but when was the last time he KOed anyone aside from the free shot he got on Ortiz. He will do what he always does, no reason for him not to.

Comment

Working...
                      X