Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2016, 07:25 AM #1
Canelo and GGG Canelo and GGG is offline
NSB's Golden Boy
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Poland
Age: 21
Posts: 4,361
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Rep Power: 10
Canelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,117,444,861,052.83
Bank: 2,730,415.15
Total Points: 2,117,447,591,467.98
Back at you, man! - anthonydavid11 Kigali is terrible.  Nice way to call him out on his BS. - anthonydavid11 Thanks, brother - anthonydavid11 
Default Margarito vs Cotto Plaster myth

Why ppl spread this myth,which was never proven,some use it as excuse for Cotto,rumor says that Cotto wasnt trained well to this fight(was seen on partys),was chinny and got ****ed thats it.
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
Canelo and GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-17-2016, 07:42 AM #2
sunny31 sunny31 is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 34
Posts: 3,805
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Rep Power: 19
sunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 62,863.68
Bank: 23,447,939,238,431.19
Total Points: 23,447,939,301,294.87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
Why ppl spread this myth,which was never proven,some use it as excuse for Cotto,rumor says that Cotto wasnt trained well to this fight(was seen on partys),was chinny and got ****ed thats it.
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
Firstly it was a great fight. Great clash of styles, I think Cotto would have won handily if he made some tactical adjustments though the fight, but he didn't and he got walked down.

In terms of the plaster - I find it hard to believe that Margarito didn't do that in previous fights, very hard to believe! I think most people feel the same way.

People also underestimate the use of the plaster, the first assumption is always that it acts as something hard, a weapon to hit his opponent with, but its not really that for me, having that plaster over the knuckles actually means that Margarito could throw his hands and punches and not have to worry as much about where they land, meaning that if you have spent time in a boxing ring subconsciously you are always trying to make sure you hit the target zones and not land on something hard and hurt your hand, i.e. the top of the head, shoulder, etc.

I have never tried it, but I am assuming with the plaster wedged between that he wouldn't have to worry at all, and he could throw his hands freely and without worry, hitting his opponent anywhere and everywhere. So the effect of those illegal wraps is two fold.

We will never know the answer for sure to be honest in reference to the Cotto fight, personally I give Cotto the benefit of the doubt. Margarito's punches just seemed to have more thud on them pre-Mosley. Even if you go back and watch the Paul Williams fight for example, Margarito has a real thud on his punches.
sunny31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:46 AM #3
-Antonio- -Antonio- is offline
-Antonio-
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 26,022
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Rep Power: 95
-Antonio- has a reputation beyond repute-Antonio- has a reputation beyond repute-Antonio- has a reputation beyond repute-Antonio- has a reputation beyond repute-Antonio- has a reputation beyond repute-Antonio- has a reputation beyond repute-Antonio- has a reputation beyond repute-Antonio- has a reputation beyond repute-Antonio- has a reputation beyond repute-Antonio- has a reputation beyond repute-Antonio- has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 7,449,139.61
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 7,449,139.61
Great poster/member! - jazluvr good poster - sugarsmosley 
Default

Cotto lost that fight because he refused to/didn't know how to clinch. All he had to do was clinch and he would have won. He sat on the ropes and kept eating uppercuts for no reason. It made it one of the best fights of the past 15 years though.
-Antonio- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:49 AM #4
Canelo and GGG Canelo and GGG is offline
NSB's Golden Boy
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Poland
Age: 21
Posts: 4,361
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Rep Power: 10
Canelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,117,444,861,052.83
Bank: 2,730,415.15
Total Points: 2,117,447,591,467.98
Back at you, man! - anthonydavid11 Kigali is terrible.  Nice way to call him out on his BS. - anthonydavid11 Thanks, brother - anthonydavid11 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny31 View Post
Firstly it was a great fight. Great clash of styles, I think Cotto would have won handily if he made some tactical adjustments though the fight, but he didn't and he got walked down.

In terms of the plaster - I find it hard to believe that Margarito didn't do that in previous fights, very hard to believe! I think most people feel the same way.

People also underestimate the use of the plaster, the first assumption is always that it acts as something hard, a weapon to hit his opponent with, but its not really that for me, having that plaster over the knuckles actually means that Margarito could throw his hands and punches and not have to worry as much about where they land, meaning that if you have spent time in a boxing ring subconsciously you are always trying to make sure you hit the target zones and not land on something hard and hurt your hand, i.e. the top of the head, shoulder, etc.

I have never tried it, but I am assuming with the plaster wedged between that he wouldn't have to worry at all, and he could throw his hands freely and without worry, hitting his opponent anywhere and everywhere. So the effect of those illegal wraps is two fold.

We will never know the answer for sure to be honest in reference to the Cotto fight, personally I give Cotto the benefit of the doubt. Margarito's punches just seemed to have more thud on them pre-Mosley. Even if you go back and watch the Paul Williams fight for example, Margarito has a real thud on his punches.
Fair enough,he could throw more punches(possibly) but ppl argue about power in this punches.And in 2nd fight Cotto took them better cuse he was much better prepared physicly to the fight,look how chiny Cotto is in 1 fight,Williams had allways solid chin,Margo also TKOed Martinez who is solid too,also won most of his fights by TKO or KO so i dont see a problem here,Cotto in his 140/147 days was stuned by Judah and Torres.


Cotto was much more solid in his later careere,with more muscle.
Canelo and GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:02 AM #5
sunny31 sunny31 is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 34
Posts: 3,805
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Rep Power: 19
sunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 62,863.68
Bank: 23,447,939,238,431.19
Total Points: 23,447,939,301,294.87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
Fair enough,he could throw more punches(possibly) but ppl argue about power in this punches.And in 2nd fight Cotto took them better cuse he was much better prepared physicly to the fight,look how chiny Cotto is in 1 fight,Williams had allways solid chin,Margo also TKOed Martinez who is solid too,also won most of his fights by TKO or KO so i dont see a problem here,Cotto in his 140/147 days was stuned by Judah and Torres.


Cotto was much more solid in his later careere,with more muscle.
I think once you cheat and get caught, people will not give you the benefit of the doubt. You lose that from the public, and thats what happened with Margarito.

In terms of Cotto - I think he was a bit chinny at 140 because he was squeezing too much to make the weight especially in the last 4 or 5 fights at 140.

After that - I have always felt Cotto is pretty solid in the chin department - not a great chin by any means, but certainly proven at the elite level. Judah wobbled pretty much everyone, so no shame there. He had a solid chin and good powers of recovery in my opinion, but he was vulnerable so I agree with you there.

I don't think his chin has gotten any better now, or recently, he just doesn't take as many silly shots, that is experience. He still got rocked by Floyd in the 12th round of their fight because he was tired and got hit by a shot he didn't see coming. Fighting at a high pace for 12 rounds has also been an issue for Cotto throughout his career.
sunny31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:03 AM #6
Ryn0 Ryn0 is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 11,232
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Rep Power: 38
Ryn0 has a reputation beyond reputeRyn0 has a reputation beyond reputeRyn0 has a reputation beyond reputeRyn0 has a reputation beyond reputeRyn0 has a reputation beyond reputeRyn0 has a reputation beyond reputeRyn0 has a reputation beyond reputeRyn0 has a reputation beyond reputeRyn0 has a reputation beyond reputeRyn0 has a reputation beyond reputeRyn0 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 135,491.85
Bank: 1,686,701,965,421,486,848.00
Total Points: 1,686,701,965,421,622,272.00
Thanks buddy. -GO KING ARTHUR! - VanesBoxing Thanks for the tips - slicksouthpaw16 Cheers man.  Thanks for the mention. - ABOSWORTH For an awesome poster - Sweet Pea 50 No Message - Sithis 
For the Mayweather boat...LMAOOOOO - Shin Akuma I bought ya a pint, you have fulled my nuthugging for calzaghe, thanks :) - GreatJoe excellent post responding to NE - ИATAS 
Childhood Cancer - BatTheMan Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - `STEELHEAD Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - jas 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
Why ppl spread this myth,which was never proven,some use it as excuse for Cotto,rumor says that Cotto wasnt trained well to this fight(was seen on partys),was chinny and got ****ed thats it.
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
Margarito was a cheater, I don't believe he would attempt to use plaster for Mosley where he was the heavy favourite and not use it against Cotto in the biggest fight of Margaritos career in what was considered a much more even fight at the time. I believe he had been using it for a long time before that also, bear in mind I'm not a huge Cotto fan.

I don't know why people try to defend him, what he attempted to do vs. Mosley is only one step above what Resto did to Billy Collins Jr.
Ryn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:06 AM #7
b d w b d w is offline
Interim Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 512
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Rep Power: 8
b d w has a reputation beyond reputeb d w has a reputation beyond reputeb d w has a reputation beyond reputeb d w has a reputation beyond reputeb d w has a reputation beyond reputeb d w has a reputation beyond reputeb d w has a reputation beyond reputeb d w has a reputation beyond reputeb d w has a reputation beyond reputeb d w has a reputation beyond reputeb d w has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 19,643.30
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 19,643.30
Default

He used plaster in that fight, for the simple reasons already stated above. Didn't need them for prime Cotto but did for old Mosley? Yeah, nah.
b d w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:09 AM #8
Canelo and GGG Canelo and GGG is offline
NSB's Golden Boy
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Poland
Age: 21
Posts: 4,361
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Rep Power: 10
Canelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,117,444,861,052.83
Bank: 2,730,415.15
Total Points: 2,117,447,591,467.98
Back at you, man! - anthonydavid11 Kigali is terrible.  Nice way to call him out on his BS. - anthonydavid11 Thanks, brother - anthonydavid11 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny31 View Post
I think once you cheat and get caught, people will not give you the benefit of the doubt. You lose that from the public, and thats what happened with Margarito.

In terms of Cotto - I think he was a bit chinny at 140 because he was squeezing too much to make the weight especially in the last 4 or 5 fights at 140.

After that - I have always felt Cotto is pretty solid in the chin department - not a great chin by any means, but certainly proven at the elite level. Judah wobbled pretty much everyone, so no shame there. He had a solid chin and good powers of recovery in my opinion, but he was vulnerable so I agree with you there.

I don't think his chin has gotten any better now, or recently, he just doesn't take as many silly shots, that is experience. He still got rocked by Floyd in the 12th round of their fight because he was tired and got hit by a shot he didn't see coming. Fighting at a high pace for 12 rounds has also been an issue for Cotto throughout his career.
yea his smarter ,but in Canelo fights and all fights after Roach took him under his wings ,Cotto looked very good physicali.Yea he is vulnerable,and i think Margo bodyshots nailed him that night.
Canelo and GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:15 AM #9
sunny31 sunny31 is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 34
Posts: 3,805
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Rep Power: 19
sunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 62,863.68
Bank: 23,447,939,238,431.19
Total Points: 23,447,939,301,294.87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
yea his smarter ,but in Canelo fights and all fights after Roach took him under his wings ,Cotto looked very good physicali.Yea he is vulnerable,and i think Margo bodyshots nailed him that night.
I think it was body shots, head shots, and too much movement from Cotto. All 3 things depleted him and in the end he had nothing left.

You might be right that he has better conditioning under Roach, I am not sure I have ever seen a Freddie Roach fighter who wasn't prepared physically, that is probably one of his biggest strengths as a trainer.
sunny31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:15 AM #10
Canelo and GGG Canelo and GGG is offline
NSB's Golden Boy
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Poland
Age: 21
Posts: 4,361
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Rep Power: 10
Canelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond reputeCanelo and GGG has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,117,444,861,052.83
Bank: 2,730,415.15
Total Points: 2,117,447,591,467.98
Back at you, man! - anthonydavid11 Kigali is terrible.  Nice way to call him out on his BS. - anthonydavid11 Thanks, brother - anthonydavid11 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b d w View Post
He used plaster in that fight, for the simple reasons already stated above. Didn't need them for prime Cotto but did for old Mosley? Yeah, nah.
it was said he tried,but was there ever court case?if not why?

i think Margarito just expose the Cotto weakness ,he could been walked down,Pac fight showed it ,and Margarito hits harder then Pacman,Pacman was in pain for days from Margo bodyshot.Cotto had a problem with 12 rounds in good tempo ,especialy when he was walked down.i daubt that plaster was used.
Canelo and GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share This With Friends

Tags
cotto, margarito, myth, plaster

User Tag List
THE REED™, ßringer

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.