Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rank these fighters in order of skill level and accomplishments Amatuer and pro

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank these fighters in order of skill level and accomplishments Amatuer and pro

GGG
    Lomochenko
    Beterbeiv
    Kovalev

post and discuss

Damn, I don't know their amateur backgrounds too well so I'll stick to just pro;
    Kov
    GG
    Beterbeiv
    Loma

Being that Loma has some fantastical amateur background I'm sure he should probably be higher. As a pro, he's the only one of them with a loss and has no wins that would put him above the others.

Skill;
    Loma
    Kov
    GG
    Beterbeiv

Comment

I don't think skill and talent are the same thing.

I think GGG is more skilled than Kovalev but Kovalev is more talented.

GGG has more punch variety, more ways he can hurt you, more tricks.

But Kovalev is bigger for his weight class and more athletic.

Lomachenko is the most skilled of all but doesn't have that natural power.

Beterbiev doesn't belong with the other 3.

Comment

great posts so far

Comment

Lomachenko > GGG > Kovalev > Beterbiev

Comment

Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
            Lomachenko > GGG > Kovalev > Beterbiev
            Yeah I would say this. Although I think you could swap Kovalev and 3G and have a legitimate argument (Kovalev's demolition of Hopkins and the way he boxed that fight to me is more impressive than anything 3G has done to date).

Pound for pound though Loma is, in my opinion, of the best pure technicians in the sport today. In fact I'll take it a step further and say that outside of maybe Andre Ward -- Loma IS the best pure technician in the sport. The guy is elite in just about every facet of the game. He has the entire toolbox.

Comment

Originally posted by stuff jones View Post
              I don't think skill and talent are the same thing.

I think GGG is more skilled than Kovalev but Kovalev is more talented.

GGG has more punch variety, more ways he can hurt you, more tricks.

But Kovalev is bigger for his weight class and more athletic.

Lomachenko is the most skilled of all but doesn't have that natural power.

Beterbiev doesn't belong with the other 3.
              How does Beterbiev not belong with the other three? Despite being undersized for the weight class he dropped Usyk and had him seriously hurt, and that's with headgear. He certainly is far more accomplished than Kovalev as an amateur.

Comment

GGG > Kov > Loma > Beterbiev

GGG. no blueprint. no vulnerabilities. the only fight people keep clinging to is the one that he beat his opponent into the hospital and out of boxing. just LOL

Kovalev. Proven at world level. best wins Pascal and 50 yr old Hopkins. Great power and versatile. Slight vulnerabilities with gas tank and chin.

Loma. Great skills. HOWEVER he has a kryptonite. his style CAN be smothered. He didn't have any answer for the Salido fight. None. None of the adjustments he tried worked. He needs space to operate. None of the fights he's been in since has shown me that Salido he faced wouldn't beat him again. let alone a prime one. someone who can actually match his footspeed to smother him.

Bieterbiev. Powerful. but fights short and compact. that would be fine if he was fast, but he's also relatively slow.

Comment

Amateur is clear:

1 Loma (with possibly the best Am record in history he better be)
                  2 GGG
                  3 Beterbiev
                  4 Kovalev (overlooked by his national team in favour of Beterbiev - though the reasons were political according to Sergei)

Now I'm going to break this down twice for the pros into ability and accomplishment.

Ability / Talent

1 Loma
                  2 GGG (tough call but I think GGG is the more technically proficient)
                  3 Kovalev
                  4 Beterbiev

Accomplishments

1 Kovalev (both have 3 belts but Kovalev had the tougher route)
                  2 GGG (The dominance and number of defences impress, the quality less so)
                  3 Loma - Outstanding start and a couple of good scalps but without the longevity - yet.
                  4 Beterbiev. Early days man, yet to get off the mark as a championship level fighter. Frightening power though.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadShots View Post

Loma. Great skills. HOWEVER he has a kryptonite. his style CAN be smothered. He didn't have any answer for the Salido fight. None. None of the adjustments he tried worked. He needs space to operate.
                    Dude that was his second professional fight, though. His second. Fighting a two division world champion. And he still nearly won.

Comment

Working...
                    X