No announcement yet.

Can Cotto surpass Trinidad

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
    Meh, I guess it all depends on what you look for. Tito for me is nothing but a quitter. I think their careers are pretty similar in terms of resume and its real close when you examine the quality of opponents each faced win or lose, and it may favor Cotto too, considering he fought PBF and Pac.

Maybe Cotto doesn't smile enough to resonate with everyone, but I for one like his cold demeanor.

Either way, just my opinion, Tito tucked his tail and runs away when he loses a fight, Cotto pulled up the bootstraps and goes at it again, so just based on that one characteristic alone is why I personally favor Cotto. But no hate to those that feel otherwise
    How does getting dominated and outclassed improve a resume?

Comment

Cotto in his mega fights.

Mosley - Win
      Margarito 1 - Loss
      Pacquiao - Loss
      Margarito 2 - Win
      Mayweather - Loss

He beat two and they were at the end of their careers and overall he's 2-3. Top it off his supreme habit of vacant belts. That's the sign of an overrated/overhyped boxer. Something Tito never was, Tito earned his stripes.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
        How does getting dominated and outclassed improve a resume?
        All I said was their careers are similar and the opposition faced is similar and may tip in Cotto's favor (meaning he faced better fighters). That's all I said. They both fought great comp *key word(s)...if you read* was *Win or lose*

I didn't say his resume is better because of those two defeats. I was comparing opposition fought as a whole.

*sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
          Cotto in his mega fights.

Mosley - Win
          Margarito 1 - Loss
          Pacquiao - Loss
          Margarito 2 - Win
          Mayweather - Loss

He beat two and they were at the end of their careers and overall he's 2-3. Top it off his supreme habit of vacant belts. That's the sign of an overrated/overhyped boxer. Something Tito never was, Tito earned his stripes.

Title defenses have to at least be considered, doesnt it? Though he has had some vacant title wins as you pointed out, you cant really ignore the fact that he made some quality title defenses while holding a world title: Judah, Malignaggi, Mosley, Torres, Bailey, Clottey and Margarito II were all title defenses whom all held titles sometime during there career.

Comment

In my opinion he is no where near as good as Trinidad and never will be. Trinidad was a champion at age 20 and he won 20 tittle fights in a row. He won 16 tittle fights at 147, 13 of those by KO. Then he won 3 more tittle fights at 154 and he won the middleweight tittle. The loss to Hopkins seem to take something out of him. Maybe he was burned out from fighting at such a high level for so long plus he was not really a middleweight and did not perform as well there. But Trinidad at age 30 had won 40 fights without a defeat and was just a much better fighter than Cotto. A prime Trinidad would have had no problem knocking a prime Cotto out in my opinion. One thing Trinidad would never do would be to run away the way Cotto did against Margarito and Pacquiao and at times against Mosley. Trinidad never retreated and he had the great stamina that Cotto lacks. I think Cotto will be remembered as a very good fighter but Trinidad was an all time great on a higher level to answer your question.

Comment

He could, but he won't.

Comment

As it stands now no. At Cotto's prime he was at 140 and he was a BEAST. He's a bit passed that now. His resume at 147 is decent but at 154 other than Mayweather it's been matchmaking. Foreman and Mayorga. It remains to be seen what he does at 154 but as of now Trinidad is more accomplished, and is #1 in the hearts and minds of most Puerto Ricans.

Comment

Originally posted by Unknown Champ View Post
                  No because Tito never lost a big fight a his best weight (147), Cotto did, and I am a big Cotto fan.
                  lol,Cotto got beaten by someone with loaded gloves and was then beaten by the hardest p4p puncher whilst cotto was drained 3 lbs

Two tainted losse's in my eyes

It would have been nice if Manny fought Cotto at the actual weight so I wouldn't have to point this out
                  Last edited by Stuntman Mike; 10-27-2012, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Cotto will never be as close resume wise unless he has miraculous career closings.For as long as Cotto is a professional he'll always be under the shadow of Trinidad.There's only one way he could seperate himself and that's beating Martinez @ his weight to win 4 different titles in 4 different divisions.He's won belts at Jr WW,WW, and Jr Middleweight and has defended them against good competition.Martinez is currently the best in his division and a win over him Cotto can shake Trinidad off of his leg.Again, Trinidad is far more accomplished in resume but winning 4 belts is what he could of never accomplished.

Comment

cotto>trinidad resume easily. wont be able to pass tito in terms of being a pr icon though. tito gets mad love from pr and around the world. rightfully so, exciting great fighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X