No announcement yet.

Larry Holmes was he really over the hill vs Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    Oh but Sam Peter is the bigger better version of Tyson and Frazier combined :rofl9: :rofl9: :rofl9: :rofl9:
    I thought he was the modern Sonny Liston?

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
      I thought he was the modern Sonny Liston?
      Peter is a bigger better version of Foreman :chuckle9:

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
        You walked into my trap, actually. I agree that 88 Holmes would beat Sam Peter. You were trying to make some sort of lame excuse about inactivity and conditioning limiting Holmes' performance against Tyson. No, actually Mike Tyson is the one who limited Holmes' performance. 38>42.
        Of course. Inactivity and conditioning have nothing to do with performance.

38>42 indicates that you let statistics dictate your views rather than observation.
        Last edited by Scott9945; 08-21-2012, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          Of course. Inactivity and conditioning have nothing to do with performance.

38>42 indicates that you let statistics dictate your views rather than observation.
          These are my points:
          1. Holmes wasn't really that inactive
          2. He wasn't really out of shape. (His weight was less than in his comeback and he was completely fit for a four round fight, which is what he got)
          3. We do know he was 4 years younger than he was when he fought Mercer

A lot of it comes down taking Holmes' words at face value. He didn't like Tyson to begin with and he just got humiliated in the ring. He had a lot of explaining to do after the fight. He also said Tyson didn't hit hard, but I'm skeptical about that one too.

Comment

He also said Tyson didn't hit hard, but I'm skeptical about that one too.
            Holmes did NOT say Tyson didn't hit hard, he said Tyson didn't hit as hard as Earnie Shavers.....who just happens to be arguably the hardest hitter in Heavyweight history.

Poet
            Last edited by JAB5239; 08-21-2012, 10:00 PM.

Comment

nah, he definitely has downplayed Tyson's power probably out of personal dislike for him and what happened in their fight. He claimed Norton hit harder too.

Comment

nah, he definitely has downplayed Tyson's power probably out of personal dislike for him and what happened in their fight. He claimed Norton hit harder too.
                Holmes has always been a hater

Called Ali overrated, said Marciano couldn't hold his jockstrap, talked crap about Foreman, hated on Tyson

A genuinely bitter person

Comment

Some say Holmes' bitter attitude is what lost him the title in the first place, or at least, the rematch with Spinks. Anyone here agree with that? Probably due to his criticism of the judges.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Some say Holmes' bitter attitude is what lost him the title in the first place, or at least, the rematch with Spinks. Anyone here agree with that? Probably due to his criticism of the judges.
                    It is certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

Comment

These are my points:
                      1. Holmes wasn't really that inactive
                      2. He wasn't really out of shape. (His weight was less than in his comeback and he was completely fit for a four round fight, which is what he got)
                      3. We do know he was 4 years younger than he was when he fought Mercer

A lot of it comes down taking Holmes' words at face value. He didn't like Tyson to begin with and he just got humiliated in the ring. He had a lot of explaining to do after the fight. He also said Tyson didn't hit hard, but I'm skeptical about that one too.
                      And yet the claims that Tyson didn't train for the Douglas fight get accepted without hesitation by Tysontards.

Comment

Working...
                      X