Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roach's angle on Khan-Maidana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well yeah, in a nutshell he's saying he wants to balance out the reward/risk ratio. The thing is though, Maidana is Khan's mandatory. A madatory that we've been teased with since Khan first went for the strap against an opponent not too many people cared about and a first defense that absolutely nobody cared about. That whole Salita mess was justified by the prospect of Khan - Maidana down the line.

They can only benefit from putting the fight off. It gives them time to forge a more accurate idea of whether Khan can beat him, Maidana could possibly lose in the mean time or look a little more human again, etc..

Overall I feel it's a cynical move and the fight is that one that we, the people who have supported Khan's rise to the top and funded his career up to this point, are due. They can't shield him from dangerous opponents forever, he's a world title holder now FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by S.G. View Post
      Well yeah, in a nutshell he's saying he wants to balance out the reward/risk ratio. The thing is though, Maidana is Khan's mandatory. A madatory that we've been teased with since Khan first went for the strap against an opponent not too many people cared about and a first defense that absolutely nobody cared about. That whole Salita mess was justified by the prospect of Khan - Maidana down the line.

They can only benefit from putting the fight off. It gives them time to forge a more accurate idea of whether Khan can beat him, Maidana could possibly lose in the mean time or look a little more human again, etc..

Overall I feel it's a cynical move and the fight is that one that we, the people who have supported Khan's rise to the top and funded his career up to this point, are due. They can't shield him from dangerous opponents forever, he's a world title holder now FFS.
      But if Maidana accepts step-aside money for a guaranteed date against Khan in his next but one fight, and if he's on the undercard of Khan's next fight, which is what Roach is asking for, then it's not a cynical move at all, it's just a sensible way of building the fight up.

If Khan vacates then I'd agree with you and would call him a ducker and a chicken. But if it pans out like Roach is asking for, I don't see the problem, in fact it seems to me to make a lot of sense.
      Last edited by Dave Rado; 01-17-2010, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rado View Post
        If Maidana is offered step-aside money to fight Khan in his next-but-one fight and to fight on Khan's undercard in his next fight to build Khan-Maidana up into a much bigger fight than it would be now, and if he doesn't vacate, then what you say is simply wrong, end of story.

Don't forget that Maidana and Khan are both co-promoted by GBP now. It's in GBP's interests to build this into a big fight; and what Roach says about Maidana not yet being a big name in the States is true.

It's too early to make any judgements until it plays out. Anyone making definite judgements now is just showing that they are prejudiced.
        your scenario is based on an IF

bottom line is roach does not want khan to get in the ring with miadana and they are willing to vacate to do it

besides that i am not implying anything else. not implying khan is scared or ducking miadana

Comment

Originally posted by 2120 View Post
          your scenario is based on an IF
          The "if" is based on what Roach is asking for in his interview.

bottom line is roach does not want khan to get in the ring with miadana and they are willing to vacate to do it
          Bottom line, you're putting prejudiced speculation ahead of facts. The fact is that Roach said that he does not want Khan to vacate, and he said that he does want Khan to get in the ring with Maidana, directly contradicting the speculation that claims the opposite.

besides that i am not implying anything else. not implying khan is scared or ducking miadana
          If he vacates in order to avoid Maidana then it will be a clear duck, end of story.

But Roach explicitly says that he does not want Khan to vacate, and he clearly said that he does want Khan to fight Maidana; but he says he wants the fight to be built up first by having them both fight another fighter on the same card in the States first.

I see no reason not to give Roach the benefit of the doubt when he says that, unless and until events proves him to be bull****ting. To assume he's lying at this point is just showing extreme prejudice, IMO.
          Last edited by Dave Rado; 01-17-2010, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Bottom line, you're putting prejudiced speculation ahead of facts. The fact is that Roach said that he does not want Khan to vacate, and he said that he does want Khan to get in the ring with Maidana, directly contradicting the speculation that claims the opposite.

If he vacates in order to avoid Maidana then it will be a clear duck, end of story.

But Roach explicitly says that he does not want Khan to vacate, and he clearly said that he does want Khan to fight Maidana; but he says he wants the fight to be built up first by having them both fight another fighter on the same card in the States first.

I see no reason not to give Roach the benefit of the doubt when he says that. To assume he's lying is just showing extreme prejudice, IMO.
            Khan is gonna fight a beatable opponent while the rest of the division is stepping up so I don't think it would change the fact that he's a ducking piece of garbage regardless of whether or not the WBA lets him keep his strap or not. You make a lot of good posts. But this thread isn't one that has any from you.

Comment

I see no reason not to give Roach the benefit of the doubt when he says that, unless and until events proves him to be bull****ting. To assume he's lying at this point is just showing extreme prejudice, IMO.
              either way you slice it roach does not want khan in with miadana right now and prefers a match up with a soft hitting but talented malianggi

thats not prejudice but a fact

khan is gonna have to

a) fight miadana

b) give step aside money

c) vacate the title

d) hopes golden boy offers miadana another fight to keep khan out of his radar.

no prejudice just the fact and if that means khan is ducking miadana then i will let you make that call

Comment

Look at it like this; If Paulie shuts him down the Maidana fight will definitely happen! I like both fights, let's fookin 'ave em

Comment

i dont understnad how you can build up maidana, the guy scored a TKO over victor ortiz, that might actually be the best win hes ever going to get, anything more than that its a showcase of him knocking out some bum but thats about it, this is about waiting as long as possible not to fight him, because Maidana is never going to have that "name" without constant HBO/TV Exposure

Comment

he's using the mayweather-margarito excuse.

Comment

In all likelihood Roach probably just wants to keep Khan away from Maidana until some person with an actual chin exposes him as the crude brawler he is. Then he can say that the match would be meaningless.

Comment

Working...
                      X