Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain to me how boxing has "evolved" since the middle the last century

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
    So why don't you and everybody else still use rotary phones? AHHHH things never get better over time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I got a rotary phone. its sits in my pool room so i have a phone near by when im out at the pool. the things my grandparents its about 50 years old and has sat out side in a sceened in pool room for 20 some years through rain and snow through hot and cold completly exposed to the elements and it still works like a charm.

cant say the same about any other phone ive ever owned.

i also got one of these in my house...dosnt work and its more for decoration...but i still got one....

Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 04-27-2011, 01:32 AM.

Comment

New is not always better (and I'm a programmer, Information Architect so I'm a little biased in favor of computers). It's hard to make a comparison over the years with boxing - but how about fighting.

Let's say we take the 128 best MMA (we magically know the best and can rank them from 1-128) over the last 20 years and pit them against the best 128 hand to hand fighters from Japan circa 1600. If we've "improved" so much over the years the Final 16 should be all, or mostly MMA fighters from the last 20 years, and the winner would be a MMA fighter.

Let's do the same thing and pit the best MMA fighters against the best Roman fighters (circa 50BC) or Spartan fighters (circa 300BC). IF things are getting so much better the MMA guys would dominate each series.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
        I got a rotary phone. its sits in my pool room so i have a phone near by when im out at the pool. the things my grandparents its about 50 years old and has sat out side in a sceened in pool room for 20 some years through rain and snow through hot and cold completly exposed to the elements and it still works like a charm.

i also got one of these in my house...dosnt work and its more for decoration...but i still got one....

this is kinda sad, you people need to stop pretending or throw your pc's away

anyway, the only thing i see improved in boxers nowadays is speed and power, mainly thanks to the steroid like hormones in food and the abusing of steroids in general

but what am i saying, maybe we have evolved, im an athletic beast and dont drink milk or take steroids

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post

Not bad... I still prefer smoke signals, though:

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            Not bad... I still prefer smoke signals, though:
            You mean you don't beat out messages on hollow logs like they did when I was a kid back in the Triassic 70s? :thinking9:

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              You mean you don't beat out messages on hollow logs like they did when I was a kid back in the Triassic 70s? :thinking9:

Poet
              b/s humans weren't around then

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                b/s humans weren't around then
                Damn I forgot! We was all Neanderthals back then and only evolved into humans in the 90s :grin9:

Poet

Comment

Devolution

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                  Because I'm just not seeing it.

Fighters in the "old days":
                  -Sparred
                  -Did roadwork
                  -Hit the heavy bag, speed bag, and double-end bag
                  -Eat right

Modern fighters:
                  -Spar
                  -Do roadwork
                  -Hit the heavy bag, speed bag, and double-end bag
                  -Eat right, as much as is possible given that most foods are processed or covered with chemicals
                  -Some weight training
                  I don't get it either, if anything I would say it has De-Evolved, Take boxing in Australia, when I last checked a couple of years ago, I was stunned to compare a magazine from 1950 that showed every professional boxer active in Australia, it listed OVER 360 Pros in just the welterweight Division alone compared to UNDER 20 in the modern day. For every decent pro today there were hundred. If you watch BURLEY, PEP, ROBINSON, ROSS, LOUIS, ZALE, CERDAN, DARCY and countless GAVILAN's and YOUNG CORBETT III's you will see the most important quality in a great boxer, EFFECTIVENESS, which beats Fancy Dan technique EVERY TIME. . Name one old legend that chose to run for the entire fight like I've seen hundreds of times today, 12 rd sprints favor the runners, 20 rounds separated the REAL from the FANTASY WORLD OF " He never let him lay a glove on him for 8 rounds and was caught with a LUCKY PUNCH " OR " the Golden Boy won the fight by a 12 round decision but put MILLIONS TO SLEEP by the 6th Round.
                  Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

the greatest fighters right now are Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.

Mayweather, old school principles he uses to train, just like manny pacquiao.. sparring, running, speed bag, mitts, jumprope.

Mayweather innovated the padwork, but that's for reaction, he still uses a shoulder roll and moves away and blocks. he does the crunch stand up and the punching with the dumbbells and gym weights. it's small things, but ultimately what makes Mayweather succeed is boxing basics with his boxing brain. instead of neck rolls, he has a weight hanging from his head.

Pacquiao smashes a medicine ball into a pad, that's a little better than working the heavybag because it's a bit more focused on explosive power. But running the hills gave him his lightning fast feet, the shuttle drills and weights and all with Ariza enhance it, but it's still boxing basics at it's core. just some stuff that added on.

Comment

The poster is a crazy idiot,its very easy to see the 70s look way less advanced than 90s and 90s looks way less advanced than early 00s,10 years after the early 00s it looks way more advanced

Comment

Working...
                      X