Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Women Tennis Players be given the same Prize Money as The Men?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I remember correctly, Wimbledon only started offering women the same prize pot as men a few years back, finally conceding after criticism for many years.

For me, it's not just about the fact that men have to play a lot more tennis, but also the quality of play. I've seen (not that infrequently) matches involving top 50 female players where there are 3 double faults in a game, and 6+ breaks of serve in a set. I know women are generally not as strong/physically capable, but there is clearly a gulf in skill too.

Of course, none of this can be said in the real world without being branded a sexist turd, but I'm only calling it as I see it. Besides maybe the spark the Williams sisters caused when they were dominant, the women's game has not generated that much interest/revenue to the game.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
      Yes.

Women tennis players give me the fooking horn! Wtf would u watch 2 men grunt for 5 hours?
      And you pay £1m for that?

Question, do you watch men's boxing or women's boxing?

Comment

No, women only play 3 sets sometimes 2.

Comment

Women should not receive the same amount of pay for tennis.. Male sports are just more competitive, action packed and therefore more entertaining.. Ladies, the only thing you get paid more for than men is the sport of televised meatbeatin

Comment

Imagine if a female boxing champ fought on the same bill as Mayweather and demanded the same pay as Floyd otherwise it would be sex discrimination.

Thats what the female tennis players have done and they have gotten away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
              Imagine if a female boxing champ fought on the same bill as Mayweather and demanded the same pay as Floyd otherwise it would be sex discrimination.

Thats what the female tennis players have done and they have gotten away with it.
              Exactly. If they want the same pay, fight the same opponent. The modern man has gone soft and now our super fit male athletes are paying the price, quite literally I might add.

Sock it or Fock it, guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl

Comment

If they sell as many tickets in tennis as men then yes they would deserve equal pay. In women's boxing or basketball(WNBA) they don't draw the crowds or TV time so it's understandable that they don't earn as much.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  If they sell as many tickets in tennis as men then yes they would deserve equal pay. In women's boxing or basketball(WNBA) they don't draw the crowds or TV time so it's understandable that they don't earn as much.
                  Well when they are on the same bill how would you know who is selling the tickets?

Comment

Another example of political correctness gone over drive.

They don't play the very game for as long.

The fans see a shorter game, less entertainment, less fans tune in, watch.

Regardless of what gender, race, age, whatever - that economically and in a meritocracy means - less money.

You bring in more money, you rightly get paid more.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
                      Well when they are on the same bill how would you know who is selling the tickets?
                      Who are the people going to see? Who draws bigger crowds when they don't share the same bill? Those factors should determine who gets the bigger slice if the pie.
                      In boxing often on D.King cards Cristy Martin would fight on the card and yes, some people where there to see her but she was still on the undercard and naturally the main event fighters made more. It wasn't necessaily due to gender.
                      But I don't know much about tennis and it could be different.

Comment

Working...
                      X