No announcement yet.

According to Todd "The official bout agreement isn't signed yet"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to Todd "The official bout agreement isn't signed yet"

DuBoef said Gamboa had agreed to the Rios fight and that he has an ample paperwork trail to back it up, even though the official bout agreement isn't signed yet. (It's standard practice in boxing for a formal bout agreement to go unsigned until well into a promotion.)

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/p...riorkis-gamboa

My question is, how can Gamboa get in trouble for something that doesn't have any ink on it yet? I think this is TR's fault for getting verbal agreements and charging for venues that they haven't even established.

Though I'm not excusing Gamboa, the promotional company has to act as the "grown up" and take the process more seriously and professionally.

If he hasn't signed anything concrete, then he's free to make other plans. I still don't agree with leaving Rios and everyone else in the dark about it, but if Mayweather contacted him last minute then fair enough.

Nothing Bob can do about this if he hasn't signed.

Comment

Certainly blame on Top Rank for not dotting the i's or crossing their t's.

It is a risky fight and they have to know Gamboa is out there talking to people, so really even if people want this fight it seems more like it is a Top Rank game than anything they actually cared about (it always seemed like an odd fight), if you can't get someone on the page do everything you can to make them look bad~

Comment

Gamboa wants big money. He's not even a superstar yet but he wants big money. Boxing is ****ed up because of these kinds of boxers.

Let's see if Mayweather can give him the kind of money he wants.

Comment

This whole little thing is crazy. I really hope they fight, I think all of this makes the fight bigger.

Comment

Toprank are not known for putting together fights like these so the whole thing seemed to good to be true probably low balled Gamboa

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
              If he hasn't signed anything concrete, then he's free to make other plans. I still don't agree with leaving Rios and everyone else in the dark about it, but if Mayweather contacted him last minute then fair enough.

Nothing Bob can do about this if he hasn't signed.
              I can guarantee that TR will change their ways if this fight doesn't go through. Todd says its standard practice to be unsign, you can change as of March 5 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
                Gamboa wants big money. He's not even a superstar yet but he wants big money. Boxing is ****ed up because of these kinds of boxers.

He's at a stage where money is important. He only has a few years left of his peak to make and win big fights, and in turn make big money.

He's won multiple world titles, has a tremendous amateur background with gold medal success...big fights are all that remain.

Comment

I feel sorry for the fans that made plans and bought tickets for a fight that "wasn't signed' . Why sell tickets then?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post

Or that Top Rank keeps him on the shelf? He hasn't fought in 6 months. He only fought twice in 2011, three times in 2010 and hasn't really stepped it up. He fought Siri, and that was great, but he's 30 years old and with his skill sets and age, should be fighting more and having better top shelf type of fights.

What are they doing w/ him? Having his talents whittle away. His resume would be great if he was 23 and moving along just fine, racking up good wins, but he's just inactive and the best they could do is have him move up two weight classes against Rios, after a half a year lay off.

Caba was available and decent $, they dropped the ball on the JuanMa fight that could have really put him over the top in terms of appeal and fan base. Why isn't he fighting in Florida, to bring out that Cuban crowd? His entire career just hasn't made much sense and now he barely fights.

Mayweather can't offer him **** really. He just leeches off of GBP, but at least he'll be on a PPV card w/ Mayweather and get better fights perhaps. GBP have no problem having their fighters step up.

I still want the Gamboa/Rios fight since I think Gamboa can win it, but I think he has second thoughts on how his career has gone.

Comment

Working...
                    X