No announcement yet.

WBA Clarifies Need for Interim Titles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBA Clarifies Need for Interim Titles

Last edited by WBC WBA IBF; 01-13-2016, 04:47 AM.

[QUOTE=saint laurent;16160478]http://www.wbanews.com/boxing-news/w...interim-titles

By Clarence George 20/10/2015

During a meeting of the Executive Committee of the WBA in April 1998, both the concept and practice of interim titles was introduced.

Recognizing the problem posed by a world champion temporarily unable to defend his title for reasons beyond his control — e.g., injury or illness — the WBA decided that two highly ranked contenders would challenge for a particular weight division’s interim title.

SUGAR RAY LNRD: errr...simply put , it should mention #1 contender & #2 contender (why word it as;" highly ranked", this leaves room for giving title shots [/B]at popular fighters instead of the ones that earned it which is the #1 & 2 contenders.)

When the world champion returned to the ring, the interim titleholder would be his mandatory challenger, with the winner of that bout recognized as world champion.

SUGAR RAY LNRD: First of all in most cases a fighter should win & or lose his title in the ring. As I mentioned before, why consider it interim title over #1 contender?naming a title interim "world" title, just adds confusion & takes away the integrity of being "the world champion". It's not smart nor is it good to have 2 guys in the same organization being recognize as the "super world champion" & the other interim world champion. Shouldn't world champion be enough? It's bad enough that we have 4 world title holders per weight division (WBA, WBC, WBO, & IBF.) And Lord someone pls tell me why GGG has another alphabet IBA? what the hell!!!

That’s the ideal scenario, but there are indeed other possibilities. For example, should the world titlist be unable or unwilling to face the interim titleholder, the latter would be declared world champ.

SUGAR RAY LNRD: This is totally wrong! Under no circumstances should a fighter be given/made world champion if they did not compete for it (as i mentioned before this opens up possibility for corruptions & favortism) It should instead be, if the world champion cannot defend, then the #1 & #2 contenders fight & the winner will be the world champion.

Prior to the introduction of interim titles, a world champ was given up to 120 days to return to the ring. Should he have failed to do so, the title would have been declared vacant. Both promoters and boxers objected to the rule, considering it rigid and arbitrary in the context of how regularly and frequently, and sometimes seriously, fighters are injured.

SUGAR RAY LNRD: As a former fighter, here I agree that a 120 days time frame for a champion to defend his title, may be too rigid. So why not tweak that a little & make it the limit up to 6 months (provided that injuries & personal life matters etc...) But this is no reason to include the world interim champion.

Over time, the reasons for interim title matches have become increasingly flexible. One objective, for instance, is to create or develop opportunities in diverse markets around the world. Interims also serve to ensure stability and continuity within weight divisions.

SUGAR RAY LNRD: I'm not buying this, I'm not a fan of this. So now guys that win a world interim title, which at some point will fight the "world super champion" & if he loses at the bid to capture the tiltle. and lets say this fighter retires...and years later he will be considered as a former "world champion", I just think this is wrong, since he lost his title shot against the "world super champion".

Comment

Comment

Comment

I was expecting to see photo's of Gilbert Mendoza's partially finished swimming pool.

Comment

WBA: We need the dues.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FMENQeCbxfI

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
              LOL!
              Errr... sorry about the long read their. But it,s good to know about how & why the WBA organization claims to their reason for implementing an Interim World Champion.

Comment

Working...
              X