Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Civil War: Gettysburg: Which Side Are You On?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Civil War: Gettysburg: Which Side Are You On?

i've been doing a lot fo looking int oand examining of the civil war lately. How it never started off being about slavery but how the factor of allowing black people to join the troops with full citizenship rights was what allowed the North to win what was a close war.

With just whites on whites fighting it was muderously close but as the black people signed up to fight it boosted the numbers of the North and gave them an advantage the South could never have on principle.

You take race out of the equation I have a lot of sympathy for homesteaders and such who wanted some kind of poltical autonomy but in my view the grays at the top just wanted to create another state like the US for themselves in which to practice slavery and deprive its citizens of the progress being made against slavery in the Old World.

A state in which the constitution could be applied when one wanted and not to all men.

So I'm picking the North.

Who you picking and why?
    North
    62.50%
    South
    37.50%

I'm torn. On the one hand I'm a firm believer in States Rights, where they have the freedom to try new things, and if I don't like their laws, I can move to another state. But on the other, I believe in the Declaration of Independence, Constitution and Bill of Rights. That all men are created equal and have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That there are certain rights that states should not be aloud to violate.

Ultimately I'd have to side with the North. And since there wasn't a compromise that could be reached, war was unavoidable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
      I'm torn. On the one hand I'm a firm believer in States Rights, where they have the freedom to try new things, and if I don't like their laws, I can move to another state.
      uh helloooooo. there wasn't a law saying "ban all slavery" infringing on states rights which the Southern states were fighting against.

they was afraid of new states being non-slave states which would someday down the line mean non-slave states outnumbered slave--

oh forget it. not gonna bother explaining it sorry your high school history teacher only had 2 weeks to spend on it.

don't bother Wikipedia-ing it and saying "omg i knew that" bcuz obviously you don't. take it like a man.

Comment

Originally posted by DET. IRONSIDE View Post
        i've been doing a lot fo looking int oand examining of the civil war lately. How it never started off being about slavery but how the factor of allowing black people to join the troops with full citizenship rights was what allowed the North to win what was a close war. With just whites on whites fighting it was muderously close but as the black people signed up to fight it boosted the numbers of the North and gave them an advantage the South could never have on principle.

You take race out of the equation I have a lot of sympathy for homesteaders and such who wanted some kind of poltical autonomy but in my view the grays at the top just wanted to create another state like the US for themselves in which to practice slavery and deprive its citizens of the progress being made against slavery in the Old World.

A state in which the constitution could be applied when one wanted and not to all men.

So I'm picking the North.

Who you picking and why?
        Thats true, but from what I remember the Confederate was way outnumbered, even before that. They had young 12 year old boys fighting off the invading Union Soldiers. The Union had a draft, the Confederate didnt/couldnt.

The Union was also much better funded and it wasnt even close. The Confederates had to wait months before being compensated for their service and at times went months without food. Union soldiers not only had better uniforms, food, funds, they also had better weapons, British made Enfield rifles were the norm, and they were the most accurate weapons on the battlefield. The most important factor, a Union soldier would never run out of ammunition. The Confederate soldiers often did.

Politics of why the war was fought aside. People think the the civil war/battle was on even terms. It wasnt even close.

Comment

Who aksing dat fake question? CIA or KGB this time?

Comment

The turning point in the war was when the South lost their best general, Stonewall Jackson.

Robert E. Lee said "it's like my right arm has been cut off."

Comment

Which race are North?

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
                uh helloooooo. there wasn't a law saying "ban all slavery" infringing on states rights which the Southern states were fighting against.

they was afraid of new states being non-slave states which would someday down the line mean non-slave states outnumbered slave--

oh forget it. not gonna bother explaining it sorry your high school history teacher only had 2 weeks to spend on it.

don't bother Wikipedia-ing it and saying "omg i knew that" bcuz obviously you don't. take it like a man.
                As much as I'd love to argue the quality of my education with someone with your obvious mastery of the English language, I never implied what you're rambling on about and yes, states' rights were an issue, albeit not the primary one.

As for the red, quick question: why would they care about being outnumbered in the Union if states' rights weren't an issue?
                Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 03-03-2011, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X