No announcement yet.

Holm vs. Anderson promoted to UFC 225 main card, Overeem dropped

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holm vs. Anderson promoted to UFC 225 main card, Overeem dropped

Holly Holm and Megan Anderson will get to show off their skills on the UFC 225 main card after all.

A rare UFC women’s featherweight contest has been moved to the pay-per-view portion of the upcoming June 9 show at the United Center in Chicago, set to be headlined by a middleweight championship rematch between Robert Whittaker and Yoel Romero.

The news was announced on Saturday’s UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. Usman broadcast.

The Holm-Anderson bout was swapped with a heavyweight fight between Alistair Overeem and Curtis Blaydes, which will now become the featured preliminary bout of the evening.

No reason was given for the change.

Holm has never competed on the preliminary portion of a UFC card and her last six appearances have all been in either the main or co-main event. It is now Overeem who will be making his first preliminary appearance inside the Octagon.

See the bout order for UFC 225 below:

Main Card (PPV)

Robert Whittaker vs. Yoel Romero

Rafael dos Anjos vs. Colby Covington

Holly Holm vs. Megan Anderson

Andrei Arlovski vs. Tai Tuivasa

CM Punk vs. Mike Jackson

A legend like reem gets booted for a women's fight while the joke that is cm punk is still in the main. Still looking forward to this card

Comment

Its probably just to try to draw more attention to the prelims. I wouldn’t really overthink this

Comment

Tai Tuivasa!!!! He's one of my favorite HW's right now. Fun guy to watch. Feel like he's gonna be the new Mark Hunt with a few more options to win fights & much better movement/mobility.

But kinda yawn at this Holm vs Anderson thing. I'd personally prefer if Anderson was just thrown at Cyborg, Cyborg needs fun opponets.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Tai Tuivasa!!!! He's one of my favorite HW's right now. Fun guy to watch. Feel like he's gonna be the new Mark Hunt with a few more options to win fights & much better movement/mobility.

But kinda yawn at this Holm vs Anderson thing. I'd personally prefer if Anderson was just thrown at Cyborg, Cyborg needs fun opponets.
          Anderson has ducked cyborg, she doesn't want that fight. Tuivasa is the man, arvloski has been on a little streak but His chin isn't what it was.. Should be good while it lasts

Comment

Originally posted by Johnston View Post
            Anderson has ducked cyborg, she doesn't want that fight.
            Is that confirmed or just the standard duck call by the duck people cuz the fight didn't pop off? Cuz I was hearing for a long time she had some sort of issue with leaving her country/coming to the states. Heard some suggest its a past criminal situation she had that needed to be worked out. Believe there were other rumors about what it was related to as well (some sort of under wraps PED situation or weight issue), but mainly I heard there were legit reasons that fight couldn't happen at the time.

Tuivasa is the man, arvloski has been on a little streak but His chin isn't what it was.. Should be good while it lasts
            Yea Arvloski has that old man Liddell chin these days. High odds for a performance of the night & KO highlight for SportsCenter.

I'd really like to see Ngannou vs Tuivasa sometime this year or next. I'd like to see Tuivasa get a lil more experience, but the UFC doesn't really work like that. That said it might be unlikely to happen for awhile cuz Ngannou is #1 & Tai is #1 2 & usually the UFC is good at making fights with closer ranked guys.

Comment

Working...
            X