No announcement yet.

Best welterweight of all-time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obama View Post
    He was fundamentally great, but aside from his durability and punching power, nothing was particularly eye popping about him. I've never watched Arguello fight and said to myself "how the hell did he do that". He just wasn't that great.
    Did think of the old Fred Astaire quote for "but aside from his to durability and punching power" bit, balding, cant act, can't sing can dance a bit.
    As for the sit up moments "how the hell did he do that", you could level that against a fair few ATG's Obama surely? Lots of them either had no real weaknesses like a Monzon or one big weapon. For every Whitaker/Sugar Ray there are 10 more like Hagler, tough very solid fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
      Did think of the old Fred Astaire quote for "but aside from his to durability and punching power" bit, balding, cant act, can't sing can dance a bit.
      As for the sit up moments "how the hell did he do that", you could level that against a fair few ATG's Obama surely? Lots of them either had no real weaknesses like a Monzon or one big weapon. For every Whitaker/Sugar Ray there are 10 more like Hagler, tough very solid fighters.
      Yep, but I will always rank the Whitakers and Leonards of the world above the Haglers.

Comment

Yep, but I will always rank the Whitakers and Leonards of the world above the Haglers.
        But you would agree that Hagler deserves to be an ATG?

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
          But you would agree that Hagler deserves to be an ATG?
          Of course.

Comment

Joe Louis was a much sharper and more clever puncher, and he also used fast combinations. Arguello can't compare.

Arguello fought better fighters, but that's the thing about a lot of them, they were fighters rather than boxers. Arguello was poison to a fighter.

And my last post contained nothing about a h2h matchup...I'm merely pointing out the man's skills, which were lacking.
            We will have to disagree again. Arguello had a fantastic jab, hook, right hand and was a great body puncher who had concussive power in both hands. He had good speed and subtle footwork much like Joe Louis. On top of all this he beat a great level of competition. Just don't understand how he can be overrated.

Comment

Of course.
              Probably more a taste thing then, like his style or not I think Arguello did more than enough to be a top 20 ATG.

Comment

Working...
              X