Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official lounge stock market & investment advice thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market is roaring, I feel 2018 will be a good year.

Evaluations seem to be getting pricey and forming a bubble, but I think the tax cuts will negate any bubble bursting at least in 2018.

2019 the tax cuts will be baked into evaluations and if evaluations continue to soar then, that will be a legit bubble..

I have had so,e recent purchases over the past 5 weeks.

Amazon- always been slow to amazon just because of the ridiculous p/e but that slipped to below 300, to about 278 and I bought it up til it crossed 300 again on p/e. Today it’s p/e is about 330.

Bought some more J.P. Morgan.as I don’t think the tax cuts or the rate hikes are in the evaluation at the moment.

Bought into some niche ETFs that you guys might like.

One is a 3d printing etf PRNT. I have been in it for a year or so and added to my position. If any of you believe in 3d tech but not sure which companies will dominate, this is a nice way to get exposure. The only 3d index fund/etf to my knowledge.

The other etf was a video game etf GAMR. just bought in for the first time. Basically exposes you to video game sector

Comment

The tax cuts have given the wealthiest Americans more money to play around with. I think the market going up reflects the fact that in the next few weeks you will see a lot of investing as people that get money back put it into stocks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        The tax cuts have given the wealthiest Americans more money to play around with. I think the market going up reflects the fact that in the next few weeks you will see a lot of investing as people that get money back put it into stocks.
        You got it backwards kinda.

It’s the same people investing that invested before, big or small players

No one has received any money from tax breaks yet

What is driving the market is 2 things.

Companies are expected to increase bottom line by 10% just from tax cuts alone, plus increased consumer spending, plus rates are still low

The 2nd is a bursting sector of tech, with no end in sight.
        IOT and AI are driving this, plus online shopping. By 2030 this market will be matured, but until then it will have huge huge growth. Nasdaq is gonna explode over the next decade.

Comment

MKSI

MLK instruments..

A hidden gem..

I’m really big into IoT but most of the main players are way overbought right now, but using a stock screener on schwab website last fall, I found this gem that doesn’t get much attention..

Bought some shares less that 2 months ago.

Good revenue

Good growth

Good earnings

Hardly any debt

Pays a yield

Evaluation was only about 14x earnings, a complete steal considering that sector average is about 36x earnings and nividia is trading at 55x earnings.

Today earnings came out and they killed, and it popped almost 6%.

I think it could be the hot stock of 2018 as the others spiked in 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Butler View Post
            i have vanguard 401k so i want to use vanguard..
            what do you think of this index fund.. i want to invest $10k first and see he how it goes.. after a year, when i'm more comfortable, i'll invest more..

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...tExt=INT#tab=0
            I use vanguard as well. I
            Recommend their admiral shares of their vtsax fund. It’s dirt cheap with a expense ratio of .04. Good place for yiur 10k which happens to be the minimum investment.

Great thread op.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Pichardo View Post
              I use vanguard as well. I
              Recommend their admiral shares of their vtsax fund. It’s dirt cheap with a expense ratio of .04. Good place for yiur 10k which happens to be the minimum investment.

Great thread op.
              Vanguard seems to be the best brand in funds.

I would use them but my account is with schwab and they provide basically the same thing.

With passive index funds, I don’t think the brand matters, just the expense ratio.

Managed funds I tend to stay away from, with a few exceptions. The fees are just not worth it over a 5-10-20 year run.

I like Mathews China index funds for exposure to China even though they charge 1.2% expense ratio, they give me good returns every year, plus China is like buying into America in the early 1900s. Don’t have the time or knowledge of the market to pick individual stocks besides alibaba but I do want exposure.. so I let Mathews do it for me. I’m actually in 2of their funds, both China indexes but one is dividend oriented.
              MCHFX is standard China index, MCDFX is the dividend China index.

Also eyeing QQQC which is basically an index of China tech and has a pretty low expense rate of .20

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
                B.UTLER, was this your old account?
                Just notice that myself. Obviously he was perma-banned back then. Somebody just greened me for an earlier post so I went back to see what it was and I can't believe it was 2014 when I made it. Where is the hell has time gone? It's flying much too fast.

Comment

Might cost me a bit of money in the short term but I am pretty much cashed up as some valuations are way over the top and interest rates/inflation are likely to increase.

What's more (and this will sound completely irrational to some), when I see that Jeff Bezos is the worlds wealthiest man due to his shareholding in a perennial loss maker, my gut tells me that something is amiss

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
                    Just notice that myself. Obviously he was perma-banned back then. Somebody just greened me for an earlier post so I went back to see what it was and I can't believe it was 2014 when I made it. Where is the hell has time gone? It's flying much too fast.
                    I'm past 30, my pops said the trip up to 35 is slow the trip down is twice as fast. I can't believe I've been a member since 2009, but was reading as a guest since 2005...

I need to give up my love of boxing, but I can't.. My grand father was a boxer... He claimed to know Max Baer

I'll be here..... Now back to non stop boxing..

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      It's not about hindsight.. Companies will be worth more than they were in the past, unless they go out of business or products become obsolete..

If your timeframe is longer than 20 years, you will make money, the gains will surpass anything else you can put your money in ie bonds, gold, savings account
                      I CANNOT believe that conversation we were having was in 2014...that honestly scares the hell out of me. That seemed like so recent as I was reading it.

And I had a look at this post as well in 2014...

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...6&postcount=48

June 24th 2014...

20 years ago I could have bought a house here in Vancouver for $250,00. It's seemed a bit over priced to me then considering what that got you in say Montreal where I was originally from. Today that house goes for $850,000. and there is no capital gains tax on a house here.
                      That price in 2014 was so shockingly high at the time of that post...but the average Greater Vancouver house price peaked in May 2017 at $1.8 million.

That's a million dollars in the last 3 1/2 years. My friend just sold his condo he bought 21 years ago and retired. Paid $200 K CDN and sold it for a million. He's in the process of buying a 45ft sailboat for 200K CDN and going back to Trinidad and living on it. He also got a buyout and early pension from British Airways so he's set for life.

http://www.vancourier.com/news/great...sis-1.23054072

Crazy things going on here.
                      Last edited by jaded; 01-18-2018, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X