Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since when are one-sided beatings considered exciting?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    I'm really happy to see new fans the past couple of weeks that stuck around to watch these fights. I certainly tried to convince them, and they liked the way Alvarez and Golovkin kicked ass.

Now these are the same people who would be pissed to see Alvarez get dominated by Mayweather and Golovkin lose decisively to Ward, but it's still a step. Putting these guys in the 2 weeks after Mayweather/Pac worked out well.
    Despite the desperate pleas of posters who want to declare boxing dead, Mayweather-Pacquiao def brought new fans to the sport who are still here two weeks later. It is very nice to see fresh blood in the boxing sections of general sports sites also.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Boi 360 View Post
      I think impressive would be a better word. I always thought exciting fights had to have back and forth action, both guys hurt, and either fighter always having a chance to win the fight. (Pacquiao-Marquez fights for example)

Since May 2nd we've had Canelo-Kirkland, Golovkin-Monroe, and Chocolatito-Sosa. All impressive performances but can we really call them exciting?

Seems like there is a double-standard on these boards.

Fighter I don't like blows out his opposition: It was a mismatch and he's fighting cans!"

Fighter I like blows out his opposition: "wow! he's so exciting!"
      Aren't you the guy that predicted monroe would put golovkin on the canvas?

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        I'm really happy to see new fans the past couple of weeks that stuck around to watch these fights. I certainly tried to convince them, and they liked the way Alvarez and Golovkin kicked ass.

Now these are the same people who would be pissed to see Alvarez get dominated by Mayweather and Golovkin lose decisively to Ward, but it's still a step. Putting these guys in the 2 weeks after Mayweather/Pac worked out well.
        Bad guys sell too. When I heard the boos for Andre Ward last night I thought to myself "he's right where he needs to be".

Comment

Why no mention of Fonfara-Chavez Jr.? I enjoyed every second of that fight

Comment

So the guy who said Monroe will hurt or drop golovkin is now complaining about the fight being one-sided

Lmao

Can't make this up

So embarrassing

Comment

I'd rather see Canelo/GGG or Cotto/GGG than a one sided beating. (Although I suspect those matchups would also be one sided beatings.) But anyway, I think boxing was created as a martial art, a combat sport, an exciting spectacle in which somebody ultimately kicks somebody's ass and doesn't just win on style points only, leaving the opponent looking fresh and untouched.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
                I'd rather see Canelo/GGG or Cotto/GGG than a one sided beating. (Although I suspect those matchups would also be one sided beatings.) But anyway, I think boxing was created as a martial art, a combat sport, an exciting spectacle in which somebody ultimately kicks somebody's ass and doesn't just win on style points only, leaving the opponent looking fresh and untouched.
                I like all these subtle shots at Floyd like if what he does is easy.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                  Bad guys sell too. When I heard the boos for Andre Ward last night I thought to myself "he's right where he needs to be".
                  The old wrestling axiom "It doesn't matter if they boo you or they cheer you, as long as they aren't silent about you".

If a guy can generate feelings one way or they other they are on their way, if people don't give a rats ass there is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                    Exactly. For all of the talk about nobody caring or knowing who Ward is, they sure seemed to know who they were booing and cared enough to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
                      Fans seem to like them. They seemed pretty excited last night.

Nah..the TS didn't consider that excitement..fans yelling and screaming and chanting.. That's not excitement

Comment

Working...
                      X