Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who wants to see Deontay Wilder KTFO by a russian cruiserweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
    What does height have to do with American heavyweights?

If you take the records of how many American heavyweight professionals there was pre-90s and post 90s, you'd see a big difference. Height is completely irrelevant.
    It is absolutely relevant, when people start bringing up some supposed notion of the NBA siphoning off all of the athletically talented American big men.

The same may well apply to the NFL, when people look at the normal body conditions of NFL players as opposed to professional boxers. I don't know whether this is so or not, but I'll leave it to someone else. I'm not really that knowledgeable about NFL physiques, for one thing.

If I must again repeat myself though, I seriously suspect that the reason that football players and basketball players find success in boxing these days is because the talent level is so low that size and athletic ability is enough. The decline in talent has to do with a decline in boxing in the US generally, and is not a reflection of a siphoning off of talent owing to the rise of the NFL and NBA. This is my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
      It is absolutely relevant, when people start bringing up some supposed notion of the NBA siphoning off all of the athletically talented American big men.

The same may well apply to the NFL, when people look at the normal body conditions of NFL players as opposed to professional boxers. I don't know whether this is so or not, but I'll leave it to someone else. I'm not really that knowledgeable about NFL physiques, for one thing.

If I must again repeat myself though, I seriously suspect that the reason that football players and basketball players find success in boxing these days is because the talent level is so low that size and athletic ability is enough. The decline in talent has to do with a decline in boxing in the US generally, and is not a reflection of the rise of the NFL and NBA. This is my opinion.
      I was looking at the bigger picture of college fund scholarships for sports which is what I think is taking potential American heavyweights away from the sport.

I don't know a lot about it but I suspect there aren't scholarships for boxing and if there are, they are nowhere near in the same league as college level sports like football, basketball etc.

Another reason is the culture differences from present to the past times as boxing is the sport where it doesn't matter how smart you are or the prejudices against your religion/race, you can still reach the top. Levels are poverty are not as high as they once were and there are many different avenues now available.

I still can't understand how size has any relevance though, no one in the NFL or NBA is under 6ft5?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
        another anti American post from the king of that bull$h!t
        STFU!! dip****

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
          I was looking at the bigger picture of college fund scholarships for sports which is what I think is taking potential American heavyweights away from the sport.

I don't know a lot about it but I suspect there aren't scholarships for boxing and if there are, they are nowhere near in the same league as college level sports like football, basketball etc.

Another reason is the culture differences from present to the past times as boxing is the sport where it doesn't matter how smart you are or the prejudices against your religion/race, you can still reach the top. Levels are poverty are not as high as they once were and there are many different avenues now available.

I still can't understand how size has any relevance though, no one in the NFL or NBA is under 6ft5?
          As far as the bold, I accept this as a factor at play. I don't know how considerable it is, though it may be rather significant. I don't believe it is the primary factor though. I tend to see the decline in boxing generally as more significant. Also, often the demographics are different. Considerable numbers of boxers have come from very underprivileged backgrounds, from the inner-cities and what not, and been brought up through the inner-city gyms. Many of these kids probably didn't/don't even go to school. Football and basketball on the other hand are connected to schools, and part of the establishment really. So, really there are non-overlapping talent pools too, I suspect. I still buy that the scholarship mill and what not is maybe a factor, but I don't suspect it is the primary factor. I would see a decline in boxing generally, including the inner-city gyms (and the club fighting shows, etc., that sustained them) as a much bigger factor.

As for the underlined section, that is an interesting point. Again, it might have some appreciable effect, though I'm really not sure how large I would suspect that it does. For example, that there can now be black quarterbacks. That might divert a would-be-boxer in an exceptional case, but the number affected would be absolutely miniscule, I suspect. As a whole, it could have some effect, but again I suspect it is very small. That's just me though. Somewhat similarly, as I said, boxing has declined in the US. This includes the degree that boxing is accepted by the public. Boxing became seen as a blood sport, and fell out of favor with the general public. This, in my humble estimation, is far more significant than most other factors.

As far as the underlined bold, this is merely an answer to the notion that all of the American big men are siphoned off by the NBA and the NFL. In the NBA, if you are less than 6'5, you are basically considered small. If one is to raise the notion that there has been some exodus of big men from boxing to these sports, it only logically follows that they should be able to demonstrate the existence in boxing, at the highest level, of comparable athletes in a former era. The fact is, the sports are different, as are the physical requirements. I think that it is basically a specious argument, really. If these would-be boxing champions only went to the NBA after the rise to popularity in recent decades, where were they in boxing before? Again, it is just a response to the siphoning off of talent argument.
          Last edited by Drunken Cat; 01-06-2013, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Lennox Lewis ended the American HW'S

Not NBA
            Not Bleeder Vitali or Lennox Jr Wlad
            Not the NFL

Lewis did.

I took Psychology. Lewis single handely psychologically ended the American HW Dream.

The ducking from Bowe started it.. What happened was Bowe is telling all the young American future HW'S - I'm the baddest man there is. but I'm scared of Lennox Lewis- this big British Jamician Champion.. I'm bad, but (only in America)
            It works the psyche of all future fighters..

He was knocked down once and knocked out once. BOTH TIMES BY AMERICANS. Yet instead of vanishing from contention like all the Non-Americans of the past.. He just grew stronger and brutally avenged his defeats.

When Young American fighters see their brother Mccall sobbing like a big baby as the Bad British Jamician throw punch after punch into his face.. the pysche is already at work. The subconscious. The message is clear:
            Hurt this Big British champion once and he will come back 10 fold and make you break down.

When the world said Holyfield robbed Lewis and Lewis dominated the fight.

Once again your subconscious is at work. The message is clear:
            THERE IS NO MORE HONOR IN BEING AMERICAN HW CHAMPION. WHAT HONOR IS THERE? THE WORLD LAUGHS. YOU ARE A PAPER CHAMPION. EVERYONE KNOW the REAL champion is the British Lennox Lewis.
            American Champion= Paper Champion.
            I'm talking about the sub conscious at work, of course.

When Lewis destroyed Grant.. it was once again a direct frontal attack on the subconscious of Future American HW'S.

What they see is this.
            6'8 GIANT MICHAEL GRANT. FULL PRIME OF HIS LIFE. FORMER FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL STAR.

Dominated and destroyed by Lennox Lewis.
            The message is clear: stick to NBA. Stick to NFL. Or big bad Lewis is gonna get cha..

Finally when Tyson was knocked out. it was the last blow to American Pysche.
            Even though Tyson was shot.. the casuals didn't view it that way.
            WHAT THEY SAW was the
            MEANEST, BADDEST, MOST DOMINANT AMERICAN FIGHTER OF THE LAST 20 YEARS being brutally man handled by Lennox Lewis.

The message was clear : YOUR BEST is just NOT good enough.

Lewis has dominated and affected the American HW sub conscious since the early 90's.

HE IS THE SOLE CAUSE OF American HW.. Failure.

Comment

Comparing what Lennox Lewis did to the American HW Scene with what the 'Eastern Europeans did'

It's like a gladiator from one country single handily killed 20 of the best gladiators from a 2nd country.. The Gladiator champion retires..

THAN 20 inferior gladiators from a third country jumps in and starts hacking at the dead bodies.

That's what the Eastern Europeans are doing.. hacking at dead bodies.. bodies Lewis left behind.

The damage was done by Lewis: Eastern Europe didn't do shyt.

AND THE ONLY REASON.. Eastern Europe is even RELEVANT is because all the Lennox Lewis Clones just got started.. give it another 5 years when all the Lewis Clones are grown up.. there will be NO Eastern Euros left.. only British in the top 10.

Comment

Wilder was a 6'7 195lb stick with basically zero experience fighting against the reigning European Champion in that video. Anyone who would draw conclusions about his pro potential from that is a moron.

Of course the TS is notoriously stupid so it makes sense that he posted this.

Comment

One more thing, I'll take an Evander Holyfield or a Larry Holmes over an army of hulking football players.

Comment

Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
                    Comparing what Lennox Lewis did to the American HW Scene with what the 'Eastern Europeans did'

It's like a gladiator from one country single handily killed 20 of the best gladiators from a 2nd country.. The Gladiator champion retires..

THAN 20 inferior gladiators from a third country jumps in and starts hacking at the dead bodies.

That's what the Eastern Europeans are doing.. hacking at dead bodies.. bodies Lewis left behind.

The damage was done by Lewis: Eastern Europe didn't do shyt.

AND THE ONLY REASON.. Eastern Europe is even RELEVANT is because all the Lennox Lewis Clones just got started.. give it another 5 years when all the Lewis Clones are grown up.. there will be NO Eastern Euros left.. only British in the top 10.

Ha. How about you check the top 10 HW rankings and then say there will be no eastern euros left in the Division...

Comment

• Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
                      @New England.

Soccer is the most watched and most played sport in Europe.

Soccer athletes are the fastest athletes and most supremely conditioned from 147-175..

If the EPL and La Liga didn't steal so many of these WW - LHW..S Europe would dominate 147-175.

Europe got at least a dozen FLoyd Mayweather's .. you think Floyd's special? They are a dime a dozen in the Premier League. You think Ward is special?
                      They are a dime a dozen in the La Liga..
                      You lucky the rest of the world loves soccer or the entire 147-HW will be over runned by 'shirtless Ronaldos'

Theo Walcott would have boxed circles around Lil Midget Floyd.
                      Europe doesn't have a kid who's whole life is boxing and his future is boxing and has a Ring IQ that's off the ****ing charts. I'm sorry, europe doesn't have that.

Floyd isn't the best athlete in any weight class he's fought in. He's always been the smartest.

Comment

Working...
                      X