No announcement yet.

How popular is BOXING? Most forums aren't booming with activity

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How popular is BOXING? Most forums aren't booming with activity

I haven't really been on here for several years, and I've been following boxing on and off, but just recently got back to it hardcore but no one around me seems to care about boxing

I visit other boxing forums and Boxing Scene is the most active, but even when it is active it's still slow compared to other sport oriented websites.

The internet is used a lot by the youth, yet boxing doesn't seem to have the youth market behind it like other sports and the traffic only seems to ****e when a fight is on. After that the traffic dies down.

I can visit Tennis, MMA, NBA, MLB, NFL, forums and they all have more activity than most boxing forums.

Internet should make it easier for boxing fans to gain more info, yet the younger generation doesn't seem to care about it. Should they market boxing with punk music, and hip hop, and other trendy things to get the interested of the mainstream and teens?
    Last edited by hectari; 04-14-2012, 03:07 PM.

The forums do kind of reflect the popularity of the sport overall, the internet makes it much easier to follow and keep track of the sport as a whole, but truly following boxing still takes a ton of effort and most people don't want to invest the time. New people can come but most people don't like to look like tools or idiots, and it is real easy to get made a fool of coming to talk boxing without proper knowledge.

Some people will use this as motivation to learn more about the sport but most I would figure would be like screw it and either leave or just lurk.

Still though this site always used to crash when there was a big fight so there is/was a ton of traffic.

Comment

In the UK, not hugely. But the big fights still get big figures. Everyone was talking about Haye's 3 big ones (Valuev, Wlad... Harrison ). Hatton vs Mayweather was really huge here too.

We've got 3 networks fighting over boxing at the moment and another 2 who show the occasional fight. I guess the rights must be relatively cheap and those who do follow the sport are always willing to put their hands in their pockets.

Comment

boxing would be alot bigger in the states if they showed it on regularly on network tv like in the glory days

Comment

i think it would do better ratings if fights weren't restricted to friday and saturday NIGHTS. it doesn't help the situation that if you want to see a good fight you have to make a vacation out of it. people go to basketball/baseball/hockey games on random weeknights, what would be the difference with going to see some boxing? they just need to take the show on the road and bring it to the people instead of making the people come to vegas etc.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            The forums do kind of reflect the popularity of the sport overall, the internet makes it much easier to follow and keep track of the sport as a whole, but truly following boxing still takes a ton of effort and most people don't want to invest the time. New people can come but most people don't like to look like tools or idiots, and it is real easy to get made a fool of coming to talk boxing without proper knowledge.

Some people will use this as motivation to learn more about the sport but most I would figure would be like screw it and either leave or just lurk.

Still though this site always used to crash when there was a big fight so there is/was a ton of traffic.
            I remember when I was on here back in 2005 and 06 and people were saying watch how big boxing grows because the internet just starting booming as a social hub with Myspace and other things, I remember people were saying back in 05 that boxing will be back on mainstream TV before MMA, and now UFC is on FOX . and now its 2012 and there has been no significant growth at all. No new stars are being built, and it seems the only way a fighter can make money is if they fight Floyd or Manny, that shows you how horrible a business model boxing is.

Comment

ugggh, which NFL / Baseball forums are more popular than NSB?

The only sports forum is RealGM where Basketball is #1

NFL and MLB have ******rtsdaily but 90% of the subforums are dead and main forums only get used during playoffs and big games

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
                I remember when I was on here back in 2005 and 06 and people were saying watch how big boxing grows because the internet just starting booming as a social hub with Myspace and other things, I remember people were saying back in 05 that boxing will be back on mainstream TV before MMA, and now UFC is on FOX . and now its 2012 and there has been no significant growth at all. No new stars are being built, and it seems the only way a fighter can make money is if they fight Floyd or Manny, that shows you how horrible a business model boxing is.
                Those people must not have been hip to boxing history, if boxing is anything it is slow to embrace change. The internet is a useful tool but only if properly taken advantage of, just look at the top two companies what do they do to really market online or even the smaller fries which you would figure would be keen on the medium you hear even less from them online than the big two.

It is funny UFC got on network TV, now you see their new commercials pumping up PPV as the purest way to watch UFC. That shows me they didn't fully think things through before going on network TV not relizing how it would effect their bread and butter money maker.

Comment

That's because NBA is the only one american league more popular than boxing globally. No way MBL and NFL are more popular than boxing on the internet (=worlwide) In the US are more popular though, but I cant say the name of a NFL star, and I'm no joking. My friends know pacquiao, mayweather, maravilla and nonito, but they can't say the name of a MBL player, and I think this is usual all over europe.

Comment

It's not like it was in the 70's and 80's, but just look at the PPV numbers for boxing vs. MMA........Boxing still makes way more money than the MMA/UFC does.

Comment

Working...
                    X