No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wilfredo Benitez is Fine, Recovering From Mild Stroke

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Wilfredo Benitez is Fine, Recovering From Mild Stroke

Former world boxing champion Wilfredo "El Radar" Benitez is recovering from a mild stroke that he suffered at his home last on, and he's expected to be discharged from Ashford Presbyterian Hospital in Puerto Rico on Monday. The former boxer, 54, suffers from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a condition that prevents him from communicating effectively. Benitez lost "a bit" of mobility in his face and tests are being conducted to determine the long term effects of the stroke.
    [Click Here To Read More]

He's never had an easy life. I hope the stroke hasn't permanenetly impaired him anymore then he already was. He certainly doesn't need (or deserve) anymore health problems.

Comment

He was one of my favorites back in the day and I saw him fight live once when he fought in Baltimore back in 1986. I was real close and took a bunch of photos. I still have the photos and also a poster from the fight. Get well soon champ and I will and I will say a prayer for you!!

Comment

1 of the best fighters to ever lace em up fought everybody and the youngest champ ever

Comment

Is he named Wilfredo or Wilfred. Back when he was fighting Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran and those guys he was called Wilfred Benitiz. He was also called 'The Bible Of Boxing', because of his boxing prowess. That fight between him and Leonard was an even match until Benitiz got a little tired. I still say it was stopped prematurely. It was the last round with not much time to go. I never did know how the bout was scored by the judges. Anyway, Wilfred or Wilfredo was a favorite of mine. He was a master technition in the ring.

Comment

Nothing but well wishes to the champ and his loved ones.....

Comment

damn. you hate to hear stuff like this. these guys give us the absolute primes of their lives.

from what i've heard benitez has been blind for some time now. he was considered all but washed up as a fighter by the time he was 25. you've got to be doing serious damage to your body if you're badly depleted at 25.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                damn. you hate to hear stuff like this. these guys give us the absolute primes of their lives.

from what i've heard benitez has been blind for some time now. he was considered all but washed up as a fighter by the time he was 25. you've got to be doing serious damage to your body if you're badly depleted at 25.
                Hearns, Leonard and Duran are not going to be good for anyone's health. Adding to what I said I don't think becoming a pro at such a young age did him a world of good either, his body was taking damage in the stages of his development.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
                  Hearns, Leonard and Duran are not going to be good for anyone's health. Adding to what I said I don't think becoming a pro at such a young age did him a world of good either, his body was taking damage in the stages of his development.
                  I always thought he was an addict..? is there any truth to this? Sorry if anyone take offense, not my intention.

Comment

Originally posted by Sttag View Post
                    I always thought he was an addict..? is there any truth to this? Sorry if anyone take offense, not my intention.
                    Are you possibly confusing Benitez with Esteban De Jesus?

Comment

Working...
                    X