No announcement yet.

Basilio vs Mickey Walker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basilio vs Mickey Walker

Both beasts were in their prime at welterweight. Two real tough guys.

The real Fight of The Century

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      The real Fight of The Century
      I get the feeling Basilio is underrated. Still, my own money would have to go on Walker. Great fame usually sticks with a fighter for a reason. Walker was the model for Duran. His nickname belied his skills. His lefhook was a weapon of sneak attack, launched with no telegraphing whatsoever; his toughness and spunk are legendary and unquestioned. No one can be tougher than Carmen. But Walker is as tough, and he had more polished skills. This is no more than a guess though. Others might see something entirely different going on.

Comment

Walker would destroy Basilio. Mickey is a top ten ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
          ^^^^ this right here.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
            walker lost a decision to a just past his prime harry greb at 160 and later moved up to fight at 175 after he won the middleweight belt. i have read a newspaper description of some of the rounds of greb - walker, and in the early rounds walker was landing some good shots. both guys have skills but i have absolutely no doubt that walker is tougher. walker wins this one

Comment

True. I guess we can all agree that Walker > Basilio.

Comment

Walker makes theFulmer fight look like holding hands.

Comment

That is about what I figured, too, lads. Basilio just did not have the punch to keep him off. But Walker is not beating Carmen any worse than Robinson did, and those were close fights with Carmen. So he is not quite as weak as he is being portrayed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                    That is about what I figured, too, lads. Basilio just did not have the punch to keep him off. But Walker is not beating Carmen any worse than Robinson did, and those were close fights with Carmen. So he is not quite as weak as he is being portrayed.

Walker was the antithesis of Mayweather. Ray wasn't a puzzy, but he charted calmer waters. He had his hands full with Maxim. Conversely, Walker was among the best Light Heavyweights and beat Heavyweights. Not great ones, but he carried his power north of 175.

Basillio fought an aged Robinson. The guy of St. Valentine's frame starches him early.

Comment

Working...
                    X