Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do Knockdowns happen in sparring ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do Knockdowns happen in sparring ?

Are knockdowns common in sparring?

Should not be that often. I was a competitive amateur boxer for 5 years I was only dropped once and I think I might have dropped two guys over 5 years but we sparred almost 5 days a week.
    Sparring is about learning at our gym I would only go full blast with guys who are better than me. And vis versa if I was in the ring with someone worse than me I would not throw hard shots and mostly work on my defense.
    Getting your brain smashed around does not make you a better fighter.
    BUT you do have to get used to getting hit mentally. That does take some time and then you can relax in there and really start to improve.

Comment

Should not happen much, but every now and then someone gets hit off-balance.

Comment

It rarely happens, but you will feel yourself more strong after a knockdown.

Comment

It depends if you are doing light sparring or full on competitive sparring. Light sparring is usually no more than 50% intensity in which case, no one should get knocked down by a punch. With full on sparring it can happen just like in a real bout.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesfranklin View Post
            It rarely happens, but you will feel yourself more strong after a knockdown.
            Unless you're Charlie Zelenoff

Comment

It depends on how you spar. Are you working on technique or ready for a fight? I've been lucky to never be dropped in sparring or real fight. I've been buzzed and hurt to the body one time. I was the smallest and youngest guy at my gym (18 years old/152lbs/6ft). I was training for a tournament (USA BOXING) at 152lbs and dropped a guy 220lbs who i sparred at my gym. This guy hit hard on the heavy bag but couldn't land nothing on me. He was wild and uncoordinated as well. He bull rushed my trainer while he was holding the mitts. My trainer fell back awkwardly and hurt his hip. I got payback for my trainer by landing and huge right hand and dropping the 220lbs pound guy in front of his father in law and best friend. I noticed that he moved his head to my right every time I threw my jab so I feinted a jab and threw a big right hand and caught him. He was so embarrassed and stopped showing up to the gym. Last I knew he got into a band or something like that.

Comment

It really Depends on Who's in the Gym Frequently Sparring.Some guys can Outbox guys all day every day but might not have that much power.....Meanwhile a Guy might not be the best but his punches pack weight and when he catches people they fall out.....and your Gym will be full of knockdowns if theres a Knockout Artist in there.

So I'd say that's a case by case basis, depending on the Gym and Who's in it.

Comment

Originally posted by WillieWild114 View Post
                  Are knockdowns common in sparring?
                  It depends on the type of sparring.

Sparring is basically contact training. You aren't just slugging it out with headgear on, you are working on specific things, 9/10 times. Sometimes you do just go in to get some work, gym wars happen most often when two guys are there to give each other hard work for an upcoming fight or something, but even these are controlled events.

You don't want to hurt your opponent in sparring either. Not badly.

Sometimes I'm asked to spar a guy because im fast and they need to work with someone fast and slick, so I'll be asked to move a lot, throw my jab a lot, and let my hands go so they can see how the other guy responds to fast hands in his face, and a guy who can slip most jabs.

Sometimes I'm told to only throw the jab.

Sometimes the other guy is told to throw the jab only against me because it might be a pro, or just a much bigger guy, or just more experienced amateur.

Sparring is an ongoing assessment, you may be interrupted for instructions mid round, you may be asked to adjust, etc.

If someone is getting knocked down it's usually they were in there with someone they shouldn't have been (largely on the gym staff and trainers fault) or it was one of those gym wars where both guys are letting it all out, but that's not every day stuff in most places.

Comment

Working...
                  X